Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Etihad reduces baggage allowance

Options
  • 21-08-2015 1:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up here to the Irish in Australia, Etihad Airways has altered its fare structures and as a result those traveling on the cheapest economy tickets will now only have a 23kgs Baggage allowance compared with 30kgs previously.

Certain routes will actually see their allowance increased from one 30kgs piece to two 23kgs pieces but all routes out of Dublin appear to have a cut in the allowance.

I could never see the fuss about this Airline, its Abu Dhabi hub is way too congested nowadays, its cramped ten-a-breast Boeing 777 is particularly uncomfortable to fly on also. I have flown alot to Asia with Etihad but these changes are the straw that broke this camels back and 23kgs for ULH is quite frankly pathetic.

http://www.etihad.com/en-ae/before-you-fly/baggage-information/allowances/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭davepatr07

They are all right though think Emirates are better. Yea agree with ya with the 777's. A340's/330 are more comfortable with the 2 seats by the window.
    I heard somewhere they are also cutting their flights from Dublin to 1 daily in the Winter is this true?
    Anyone here flown on the new A380's from Sydney or 787 from Brisbane?

Cheers for that info on the baggage. Think I'll start flying China Southern or Lufthansa/Air NZ from NZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

davepatr07 wrote:
    They are all right though think Emirates are better. Yea agree with ya with the 777's. A340's/330 are more comfortable with the 2 seats by the window. I heard somewhere they are also cutting their flights from Dublin to 1 daily in the Winter is this true? Anyone here flown on the new A380's from Sydney or 787 from Brisbane?

If you look in the jetlag thread thats going on in this forum, people have been discussing the best flights and airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭davepatr07

Yes I have been following the forum but I asked if anyone has used Etihad out of Sydney on the A380 or 787 out of Brisbane? Keeping my options open.

If Etihad are reducing their baggage allowance I might put up with it if the comfort on the A380/787 is at a bearable level.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Flew on the A380 from Sydney to Abu Dhabi last month is was really nice plenty of leg room but I'm only 5'4 so never really a major issue for me anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Warning!!! On the Etihad flight from Dublin to Abu Dhabi a friend was charged 670euro extra baggage. I was charged 270euro. I was 8kg overweight and she was 18. We had presumed we could pay for an extra bag, at approximately 150euro maybe. I've never flown Etihad but have frequently travelled and shopped and paid for extra bags before. Etihad insisted that every kg extra had to be paid for at a cost of 35.99euro each.
    I will never fly with them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

My family came home from New Zealand last week.

The Brisbane to Abu Dhabi leg was on the 787 and the leg to Dublin was on the A330.

They don't put much pass on what type of aircraft they fly in, but they remarked that the Dreamliner was quite noisy and they felt any turbulence more than the 330. May have been due to the fact that they were quite far back in the plane.

They did mention that they all slept well on the 787, perhaps due to the lower pressure altitude and the moisturised air.

They thought service was better on the competing airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Jogathon wrote: »
    Warning!!! On the Etihad flight from Dublin to Abu Dhabi a friend was charged 670euro extra baggage. I was charged 270euro. I was 8kg overweight and she was 18. We had presumed we could pay for an extra bag, at approximately 150euro maybe. I've never flown Etihad but have frequently travelled and shopped and paid for extra bags before. Etihad insisted that every kg extra had to be paid for at a cost of 35.99euro each.
    I will never fly with them again.
    Jogathon wrote: »
    We had presumed we could pay for an extra bag

That's the problem right there.

Advertisement