Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning after pill in Tesco?

Options
  • 29-10-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm 17 and my boyfriend (also 17) and I are planning to have sex soon since we're on the midterm break now. We both really look forward to it but I'm nervous about the condom splitting so I want to have the morning after pill on standby in case it's needed.
    I was wondering if I'd be able to get it in Tesco? I live in Kilkenny and probably won't be able to go to Boots any time soon as I reside in the middle of nowhere.
    I've been googling around trying to see if it's available in Tesco over the counter, but I haven't gotten a straight answer yet.

My chances of getting pregnant are low right now due to where my cycle is at, so that's something to ease my mind but I do want to have the morning after pill at the ready just in case.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Are you talking about a tesco pharmacy, or just a tesco shopping aisle?
    I have serious doubts you'll find in a shopping aisle.But I would have thought a Tesco pharmacy would stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

taymaw wrote:
    My chances of getting pregnant are low right now due to where my cycle is at, so that's something to ease my mind but I do want to have the morning after pill at the ready just in case.

Don't be too confident about the day of your cycle reducing your chances, as everyone is different and no app or calendar can really know.

Consider more long term contraception to use along with the condoms, e.g. the pill

If it's a Tesco pharmacy then yes they should stock it, but maybe ring them first to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

There's no Tesco in Kilkenny?

The morning after pill can be purchased from any pharmacy. A consultation with the pharmacist will be required. But you can't take it every time you have sex. It'd mess up your body something wicked. Go to your GP and go on the pill, obviously if GP deems it suitable.

But your local pharmacy will have the morning after pill anyway. It's emergency contraception so not sure they'll give it to you unless you've actually had sex in the last 72 hours and have a genuine concern about condom splitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Anytime I've been involved with its us, it was always taken in the pharmacy not given to take at a later date.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There's a possibility (amd I am open to correction) that might be because they didn't want you to hold onto it and possibly try to attempt aborting a pregnancy or something with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

shesty wrote:
    There's a possibility (amd I am open to correction) that might be because they didn't want you to hold onto it and possibly try to attempt aborting a pregnancy or something with it.

Or stock piling. Or selling or giving it to someone else who it might not be suitable for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

There are some pretty strong chemicals in the MAP. It is only to be used as emergency contraception for that reason. You shouldn't be taking it as a regular, additional preventative measure after sex.

It would be much more sensible to see your GP and get on the pill, then have sex once that has kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

shesty wrote: »

That's not how the medication works. One type will prevent an egg being released , from becoming ovulated or from attaching to your womb by simulation of hormones. The other type will negate the effects of your own hormones. They're both completely ineffective once attachment has occurred.

You'll need a consultation with a pharmacist to see what type of medication will suit your circumstances best. No Pharmacist is going to supply you a pre-emptive morning after pill.

Be aware if you do require a morning after pill it's €25-35 depending on the type you'll need or free if you have a medical card (you'll need to bring it with you).

My own advice would be to go to your GP and have a chat about possibly going on the pill if you feel you're ready to be sexually active. Secondly to ALWAYS use a condom no matter when, where, how or with who you're going to sleep with. A pill won't protect you from STIs. If he tells you he doesn't like condoms tell him to get lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The OP is a minor. Will a pharmacy dispense to her? Also is it still a crime to have under-age sex or does that apply to under 16s?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

The OP is a minor. Will a pharmacy dispense to her? Also is it still a crime to have under-age sex or does that apply to under 16s?

She said she was 17. I'd ask her for ID but if she was 17 I'd be happy enough to dispense. Some pharmacists may refuse. There's always another Pharmacy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

This shouldn't be a debate about getting the morning after pill before sex. You buy condoms before sex and the morning after (hint it's in the name) after if no other contraception was used. You will look back on this in the future and think it was silly. If the condom breaks you should worry about the morning after pill and not now. Jesus, if the lad is 17 I would be surprised if it makes it inside you before it's over let alone breaking the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Are you suggesting that the sperm of a 17 year old is less virulent! Ha hahaha hahaha

OP. You need to get on the contraceptive pill. Not the morning after pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

OP you need to look at contraception going forward. I'm sure it wont be the only time you have sex once you start. Go to your local family planning clinic or GP and find a longer term solution.

It's great that you're being so responsible, best of luck to you both!

That's not how the medication works. One type will prevent an egg being released , from becoming ovulated or from attaching to your womb by simulation of hormones. The other type will negate the effects of your own hormones. They're both completely ineffective once attachment has occurred.

You'll need a consultation with a pharmacist to see what type of medication will suit your circumstances best. No Pharmacist is going to supply you a pre-emptive morning after pill.

Be aware if you do require a morning after pill it's €25-35 depending on the type you'll need or free if you have a medical card (you'll need to bring it with you).

My own advice would be to go to your GP and have a chat about possibly going on the pill if you feel you're ready to be sexually active. Secondly to ALWAYS use a condom no matter when, where, how or with who you're going to sleep with. A pill won't protect you from STIs. If he tells you he doesn't like condoms tell him to get lost!

As I said....open to correction.

Advertisement