Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Land cruiser thefts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Most would be broken up and then the parts exported. Although I'd say there's plenty of questionable full vehicle exports too.

Right money being given for the right sorta engines and boxes at the moment with most heading for Northern Africa

2.0td
    2.4d/td
    3.0td
    3.0d4d
    Toyota engines are particularly sought after.

The main problem is stolen goods being mixed with legitimate parts and vehicles to the point that its nearly impossible to distinguish between them.

The Toyota in front is probably being driven by terrorists ...

https://abcnews.go.com/International/us-officials-isis-toyota-trucks/story?id=34266539

From Darkar to Addis Ababa to Kabul and beyond militants and terrorists favourite vehicle is the Toyota. Considering Isis have probably had a fair few destoyed at this stage - demand is probably up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

gozunda wrote: »
    The Toyota in front is probably been driven by terrorists ...

https://abcnews.go.com/International/us-officials-isis-toyota-trucks/story?id=34266539

From Darkar to Addis Ababa to Kabul and beyond militants and terrorists favourite vehicle is the Toyota. Considering Isis have probably had a fair few destoyed at this stage - demand is probably up

The favourite vehicle of the Taliban/Isis is the Toyota hilux.
    You'd spot the Taliban a mile off.
    The gardai seemingly have their suspicions about a few sleepers in this country. :)

The gardai seemingly have their suspicions about a few sleepers in this country. :)

Apparently the landcruiser has been making inroads in the last few years ...
    Toyota Hilux pickups, an overseas model similar to the Toyota Tacoma, and Toyota Land Cruisers have become fixtures in videos of the ISIS campaign in Iraq, Syria and Libya, with their truck beds loaded with heavy weapons and cabs jammed with terrorists. The Iraqi Ambassador to the United States, Lukman Faily, told ABC News that in addition to re-purposing older trucks, his government believes ISIS has acquired “hundreds” of “brand new” Toyotas in recent years.

That said if they are being stripped for engines etc then they'll take what they can get I reckon

I wonder what the ratio of Land Cruisers to Hilux's is in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Toyota in Japan got questioned about how isis got their hands on so many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,826 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ganmo wrote: »
    The gardai got it

Where?

Toyota in Japan got questioned about how isis got their hands on so many

Looks like they're doing some interesting modifications ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4695064/ISIS-s-modified-cars-wrapped-bulletproof-metal-sheets.html

whelan2 wrote: »
    Where?

Ashbourne

gozunda wrote: »
    Apparently the landcruiser has been making inroads in the last few years ...

That said if they are being stripped for engines etc then they'll take what they can get I reckon

I wonder what the ratio of Land Cruisers to Hilux's is in Ireland?

Well considering they're moving away from the big guns on the hilux deck to a more stealthy civilian role it's not surprising.
    For fear of alarming and running the thread off track. Them lads are everywhere now or at least the wannabes. I read a report of a refugee girl whose family were killed by isis walking down a street in Germany and she recognized an Isis commander walking down the same street and luckily reported him to the authorities.

If you were to believe the animal rights people, anyone that abuses animals it's only a very small step to people after that and considering that halal butchery of cattle/animals is carried out by all young men of that persuasion then it's not a big jump to facing death on a human being.

That's just a theory mods before I get banned. The same as military service prepares people too.

Well considering they're moving away from the big guns on the hilux deck to a more stealthy civilian role it's not surprising.
    For fear of alarming and running the thread off track. Them lads are everywhere now or at least the wannabes. I read a report of a refugee girl whose family were killed by isis walking down a street in Germany and she recognized an Isis commander walking down the same street and luckily reported him to the authorities.

If you were to believe the animal rights people, anyone that abuses animals it's only a very small step to people after that and considering that halal butchery of cattle/animals is carried out by all young men of that persuasion then it's not a big jump to facing death on a human being.

That's just a theory mods before I get banned. The same as military service prepares people too.

The thing is during war very few ppl actually kill. The us army reckon about 5% of soldiers during ww2, Korea and viatnam pulled the trigger expecting to kill someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭cjpm

The thing is during war very few ppl actually kill. The us army reckon about 5% of soldiers during ww2, Korea and viatnam pulled the trigger expecting to kill someone

You gotta love boards.ie

Thread starts about Cruisers being lifted and we end up here :pac: :D :pac: :D

cjpm wrote: »
    You gotta love boards.ie

Thread starts about Cruisers being lifted and we end up here :pac: :D :pac: :D

Bear traps with slurry - that'll stop the feckers ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Ashbourne

Did they get lads as well or just the jeep?

Did they get lads as well or just the jeep?

Just the Jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

whelan2 wrote: »
    Seems to be happening nearly every day around here. Last night an 05 swb was taken. Is it the same in the rest of the country?
    When people steal cars they may be planning a crime spree. That being the case I think the owners should take security of their vehicles more seriously. You would feel terrible if your stolen vehicle was involved in a hit and run or a tiger kidnapping or a burglary. If a third party is killed, grieving relatives can sometimes lash out at anyone or anything that was in anyway connected to the death of their loved one. Owners of these vehicles need to take more responsibility.

As for the thieves, I would suggest more imaginative punishments which cost less, reform more effectively.

Take torture for example, a thief may choose between pain and telling what they know. If they choose pain, it is their own choice. Criminals who get out feeling angry because of their punishment obviously were not battered into submission and such people need much longer periods of far more brutal reform with nothing resembling comfort and hard work for 18 hours a day as their only outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not the most apt username...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Sounds a bit like suckler farming :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Mooooo wrote: »
    Not the most apt username...

As far from reality as can be got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

When people steal cars they may be planning a crime spree. That being the case I think the owners should take security of their vehicles more seriously. You would feel terrible if your stolen vehicle was involved in a hit and run or a tiger kidnapping or a burglary. If a third party is killed, grieving relatives can sometimes lash out at anyone or anything that was in anyway connected to the death of their loved one. Owners of these vehicles need to take more responsibility.

As for the thieves, I would suggest more imaginative punishments which cost less, reform more effectively.

Take torture for example, a thief may choose between pain and telling what they know. If they choose pain, it is their own choice. Criminals who get out feeling angry because of their punishment obviously were not battered into submission and such people need much longer periods of far more brutal reform with nothing resembling comfort and hard work for 18 hours a day as their only outlet.

I'm sorry what? Some asshat of society is going to steal a vehicle so it's my responsibility to ensure he doesn't do anything stupid otherwise I may be punished for it by the victims of said crime.

Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Odelay wrote: »
    As far from reality as can be got.

The first bit is rubbish but theres a fair element of truth to the second part.

I'm sorry what? Some asshat of society is going to steal a vehicle so it's my responsibility to ensure he doesn't do anything stupid otherwise I may be punished for it by the victims of said crime.

Lol.

If the person who stole your car knocks down my kid, a lot of thoughts would go through my mind, including things like why didn`t the owner use a wheel lock or keep his keys in a secure place. If you had a gun you would make sure nobody else could use it and the same should apply to your car.

• Advertisement

If the person who stole your car knocks down my kid, a lot of thoughts would go through my mind, including things like why didn`t the owner use a wheel lock or keep his keys in a secure place. If you had a gun you would make sure nobody else could use it and the same should apply to your car.

And it wouldn't dawn on you to blame the guy that stole the car? Nah, just blame the car owner for not buying and using a wheel lock? Christ...

And what the fcuk is your kid doing walking around getting hit by stolen cars? Where's your responsibility in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

And it wouldn't dawn on you to blame the guy that stole the car? Nah, just blame the car owner for not buying and using a wheel lock? Christ...

And what the fcuk is your kid doing walking around getting hit by stolen cars? Where's your responsibility in that?

Typical mentality.....blame the victim of a crime as opposed to the perpetrator

if someone walked into your house and made themselves a nice roast dinner because your door wasn't deadbolted is that your fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Melodeon

If you had a gun you would make sure nobody else could use it and the same should apply to your car.

Firearm owners are legally obliged to store their firearms securely.
    There's no such obligation on vehicle owners.

It must be a nice life relying on public transport.

And it wouldn`t dawn on you to blame the guy that stole the car? Nah, just blame the parent of the poor kid that gets run over? Please refrain from breaking the second commandment in future. Furthermore, I am not impressed by your usage of crude language.

I should point out that people who steal cars have been know to mount pavements in order get away from the Gardaí. How is it irresponsible to permit my child to walk on a footpath?

And it wouldn`t dawn on you to blame the guy that stole the car? Nah, just blame the parent of the poor kid that gets run over? Please refrain from breaking the second commandment in future. Furthermore, I am not impressed by your usage of crude language.

I should point out that people who steal cars have been know to mount pavements in order get away from the Gardaí. How is it irresponsible to permit my child to walk on a footpath?
    What's your opinion of children working on farms?

if someone walked into your house and made themselves a nice roast dinner because your door wasn't deadbolted is that your fault?

Note I did not say the criminal was not at fault. That goes without saying. Car owners should be more vigilant. In my original post I made the point that people who grieve have been known to blame anyone who may have contributed even indirectly to their loss. Car owners must therefore take responsibility for their cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Note I did not say the criminal was not at fault. That goes without saying. Car owners should be more vigilant. In my original post I made the point that people who grieve have been known to blame anyone who may have contributed even indirectly to their loss. Car owners must therefore take responsibility for their cars.

Don't listen to this fella.

He quite literally goes around trolling forums with his opinion seems to go for jugular on the weekends later in the night time.

Best hit ignore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Neighbour's jeep got lifted 3 nights ago - he's a young lad who spent a fortune souping it up. Makes you wonder where all these vehicles are being hidden by these gangs given the number that have been stolen recently??

• Advertisement

What's your opinion of children working on farms?
    Kids working on farms where it is safe to do so, is a good thing.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Wouldn’t a gps tracker be a wise investment for cruiser owners. They are not expensive either. Work with a SIM card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Mod note......

Few points worth a mention.

Let's try be civil.
    Let's try keep on topic.
    Let's try no back seat moderation.
    And finally
    Let's try remain under our bridge. If we think of raising our head above the parapet we might, just might, fall foul of the anti trolling Mods!

No need to reply to this post on thread. I'll take such a reply as the actions of a bridge dweller.

Thanks. GC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

PSNI have arrested 4 men in connection with jeeps stolen in the Republic.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/four-day-search-of-suspected-hiding-place-for-stolen-jeeps-411377

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Base price wrote: »
    PSNI have arrested 4 men in connection with jeeps stolen in the Republic.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/four-day-search-of-suspected-hiding-place-for-stolen-jeeps-411377

A hard border is whats needed. Thatll soon put a stop to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A few years back, I had a catalytic convertor stolen from my Landcruiser in broad daylight at work. Two guys drove into the car park and parked up right beside it. One slipped out the passenger door and slid in underneath. Had if cut off in minutes. There was another guy in the office at the time and he saw them drving in, but didnt cop anything wrong. They did a load of them in the area.
    I called the guards and knew the guard that came. He hounded me afterwards to get the CCTV foootage. They knew who was doing it but needed the evidence. I even know his name and address (if you could call it that ;)).
    Fuming over it as it cost me a fortune and I don't think he served any time. Reckon he did over €100,000 damage on his crime spree.
    There were other things going on too, but I was told these in confidence.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Farmer wrote: »

Paddy O'Gorman is very good. Shocking to hear how little they care about the court/prison process. Had to laugh at "I was driving past and two lads threw the chainsaws into my car".

No shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

After listening to that the courts system is some joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 judebrad

and then let off on bail? What a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

You'd think that the judge would get sick of them and put as many into the slammer as they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

judebrad wrote: »
    and then let off on bail? What a joke.

What about the three semi-automatic pistols posted to Ireland from the US last week?
    The three people they were delivered to in Dublin have been released on bail too.

Despite there being a mandatory minimun sentance of 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,826 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are the jails all full or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭anthony500_1

The jails are overcrowded. It's a 1 out 1 in system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

The guys that were robbing the tractors got suspended sentences????? I really don’t understand it. They’re back at it again

• Advertisement

A few years back, I had a catalytic convertor stolen from my Landcruiser in broad daylight at work. Two guys drove into the car park and parked up right beside it. One slipped out the passenger door and slid in underneath. Had if cut off in minutes. There was another guy in the office at the time and he saw them drving in, but didnt cop anything wrong. They did a load of them in the area.
    I called the guards and knew the guard that came. He hounded me afterwards to get the CCTV foootage. They knew who was doing it but needed the evidence. I even know his name and address (if you could call it that ;)).
    Fuming over it as it cost me a fortune and I don't think he served any time. Reckon he did over €100,000 damage on his crime spree.
    There were other things going on too, but I was told these in confidence.

there was a period in liffey valley where there was lads droppin catalytic convertors out of 100s cars on a weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

there was a period in liffey valley where there was lads droppin catalytic convertors out of 100s cars on a weekend
    What you want there is some guy lying down in the jeep with a shotgun pointing out tru a hole in the floor.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭148multi

What you want there is some guy lying down in the jeep with a shotgun pointing out tru a hole in the floor.

Local farmer (Michael) did a deal for tractor tyres for sale on done deal some years ago, 4 lads went together to buy four sets, head off to collect, neighbour says he'll tag along. Michael says hop in the back, kids spilt milk on the seat's.
    Neighbour sits on a few fence stakes in the back of van. Were to meet at local mart, seller pulls alongside, hops into van and pulls a knife, give me the cash he shouts, neighbour in the back cues the 8 ball with a stake. BOOM, my man staggers of to car and is driven away in a hurry. Did it cure him, probably not, did he deserve it, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

Anyone any strange callers to yard - was stopped to check cattle at field at the side of the road was only a minute from I drove down the lane and I seen a car pull out of the end of the lane . Thought it was odd as they wouldn’t have had time to knock on door of house or get out of car. Which made me think it was someone up to no good.Didn’t get close enough to get fullreg by the time I got up behind them but it was an old red Nissan Amilra 1900s Monaghan reg . Anyone else experience anything similar recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Rural crime item coming up now on Newstalk...

• Advertisement
Advertisement