Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Corcoran RIP

Options
  • 10-09-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭

I was sorry to learn of the recent death of Michael Corcoran. A pioneer on the Irish Preservation scene, he was instrumental in forming Howth's National Transport Museum, the city's largest collection of old vehicles, as well as ensuring that it's collection escaped the cutter's torch in Hammond Lane. A city engineer by trade, he also contributed to many of the transport plans and studies undertaken over the last 40 years.

Survived by his wife and three children; may he rest in peace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

I was sorry to learn of the recent death of Michael Corcoran. A pioneer on the Irish Preservation scene, he was instrumental in forming Howth's National Transport Museum, the city's largest collection of old vehicles, as well as ensuring that it's collection escaped the cutter's torch in Hammond Lane. A city engineer by trade, he also contributed to many of the transport plans and studies undertaken over the last 40 years.

Survived by his wife and three children; may he rest in peace.

A great man. His words introducing his work on CIÉ Buses to 1987 are pertinent to Ireland, always.
    Nearly sixty years ago [the 1930s], Ireland - the present Republic - was a poor country whose people enjoyed a restricted range of rigidly conformist hobbies and pastimes: only approved interests were catered for or acknowledged.

Given that the only effective transport museum in the Republic is the one that Michael strived so hard personally to create and maintain, I wonder have things changed much here at all?

Advertisement