Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of whooping cough vaccine

Options
  • 12-02-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi Ladies

I received a phone call this morning from my GPs surgery saying that I owe them €45 for the whooping cough vaccine - at the time my GP said I wasn't to be charged but the receptionist decided to follow it up and rang me about it. Does this price seem excessive to any of you? I would have thought the admin of the vaccine should have only been the cost of a nurse consultation (which is €30)?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

br2015 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies

I received a phone call this morning from my GPs surgery saying that I owe them €45 for the whooping cough vaccine

Hi - I got it this week and paid €40 for it at my GP's. I was told over the phone it would be €25 but receptionist made a mistake and it was €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

The HSE leaflet says it should be free but you will be charged for the administration of it. €45/€40 sounds very steep but maybe that's what they charge.

I must ring and ask my own doctor the cost as I want to get it myself around the 28 week mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

My antenatal nurse explained it as, they've been the actual vaccines for free but need to pay admin costs. When the vaccine first came in it wasn't free and people had to pay the full amount but now people only have to pay the admin cost, which at my local health centre is €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Was only charged 20e at my gps, administered by the nurse. Same for the flu jab. Sounds pricey to me

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

I just assumed it was covered under the maternity care scheme. I'm due to get it in the next couple of weeks.
    Didn't have to pay for flu vaccine when I got it or is that free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

My GP charged me 20 euro for the whooping cough vaccine. I just got it done at one of my standard antenatal checkups. 40 seems pretty pricey!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Basically they can charge whatever they like for it. I paid 25e. Flu jab was free

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mine was free, gotta love the NHS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I was charged €20 for the flu jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It does seem high - I paid €15 last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Just had mine today, €20 for the administration of the shot, the shot itself is free (same as when I got the flu jab).
    On a side note, it also includes a diphtheria shot & a tetanus shot that lasts for 10 years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mine was free, gotta love the NHS :)
    Same here in France (and for any vaccines I have to pay for, I never have to pay for the administrations cos my husband's grandad, who lives beside us, used to be a doctor, and he does all our jabs! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I was charged 35 euro for whooping cough.
    The GP gave it to me and she was giving out ''the government'' don't provide it for free.
    I never realised it was an admin charge I was being charged!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

25 for me and I thought it was steep. Paid 25 for flu vaccine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

25 for me and I thought it was steep. Paid 25 for flu vaccine too.

Why did you have to pay for flu vaccine? Isn't it free for pregnsnt women?

I paid €20 for whooping cough vaccine.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Why did you have to pay for flu vaccine? Isn't it free for pregnsnt women?

I paid €20 for whooping cough vaccine.

The vaccine is free but the GP can charge for it as its not actually covered under the combined care agreement. Lots waive it but they're not under any obligation to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

The vaccine is free but the GP can charge for it as its not actually covered under the combined care agreement. Lots waive it but they're not under any obligation to do so

Oh I didn't realise that.... In that case, I'm amazed I wasn't charged!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Got it today and paid 30 euro, 20 for whooping cough and 10 for flu. Ridiculous if you ask me! It should be free from all gp.s they charge what they want, it's pure greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

I was charged €70 in total..€35 for flu and €35 for whooping. Vaccines are free so this was an Admin charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I was charged €70 in total..€35 for flu and €35 for whooping. Vaccines are free so this was an Admin charge.

I am sick of the additional costs of both medication and things like this. Remember this at election time and when one of them knocks at your door ask them what they are doing to bring down the cost of medicines, GP costs and the entire **** show that is the health system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

My flu vaccine was free but I was charged €30 for whooping cough vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

I got both flu and whooping cough vaccines last Thursday. Charged €30 in total which I was alright with. Nurse administering them informed me reception would probably charge for them much to her dismay as she thinks they should be included as part of routine pre natal care.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭threepeas

I was charged 30euro but if I was getting a second vaccine I wouldn't expect the admin charge to double. If you see a doctor for two ailments they don't charge you per ailment they charge for the visit. If it's not set out in the rules for the combined care you can't really blame the gp for charging but it should be standardised somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

I wasn't charged by gp for flu shot this time and wasnt charged for both flu and whooping cough on last pregnancy. Seems unfair to charge. do they charge for childs vaccines?

margo321 wrote: »
    I wasn't charged by gp for flu shot this time and wasnt charged for both flu and whooping cough on last pregnancy. Seems unfair to charge. do they charge for childs vaccines?

No but the HSE pays them to administer the child’s vaccines, they don’t pay them for the maternal ones

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

I was a bit taken aback when receptionist told me the cost as it was never communicated to me and I had thought it was free on the combined care scheme. But to be honest, once I thought about it, I am essentially having a baby for free (!) apart from this cost, so while €70 sounds like a lot compared to what other have been charged for these shots, I won’t complain! My doctors are City Centre based and relatively over priced compared to others so I should have expected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Peppery

I got this today and it was free. I went to the nurse in my GP’s practice. She said that a new policy came out in the last couple of days whereby the cost is covered. I was charged 20euro for administration of flu vaccine in same office a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Got both of mine two months ago. My GP doesn't charge for either when pregnant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

I was a bit taken aback when receptionist told me the cost as it was never communicated to me and I had thought it was free on the combined care scheme. But to be honest, once I thought about it, I am essentially having a baby for free (!) apart from this cost, so while €70 sounds like a lot compared to what other have been charged for these shots, I won’t complain! My doctors are City Centre based and relatively over priced compared to others so I should have expected :)

I paid this too in D6!

• Advertisement
Advertisement