Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Can anyone tell me how do you even get the Bike To Work scheme, I don't understand it really?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can anyone tell me how do you even get the Bike To Work scheme, I don't understand it really?
    It's all in the BTW Megathread (which is also linked from the FAQs;))

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

I am thinking of getting a bike to work scheme bike, but have no idea about what brands etc to get. I would like a road bike and am willing to go to the higher end of the bike to work scale (1000 euro). Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jon1981 wrote: »
    That's irrelevant, the employer won't care. Also if they do ask are you going to use it to commute, you say yes...

Some do care, my last one wouldn't do it, as I had a company Van.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fungie wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting a bike to work scheme bike, but have no idea about what brands etc to get. I would like a road bike and am willing to go to the higher end of the bike to work scale (1000 euro). Any help would be appreciated.
    You started a thread here and that remains open. My comment to another poster in that thread to come over here was because they had a question about the scheme, and that's what this thread is supposed to cover. When it comes down to which bike to buy everyone will have different objectives and we are happy for posters to ask directly with a separate thread rather than clog this thread up. Of course, a quick search and you will find plenty of thread already talking about bikes in the €1k bracket

In summary - this thread is not for asking "Which bike?" it's for discussing the BTW rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

At least can someone recommend a good bike shop in Dublin with a big selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vinnyobrien

Great lads, nice bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭sin_26

I would recommend Cycle Superstore. Good range and you always can haggle a bit ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I'm about to sign up for this but could do with some advice please.

The bike I'm looking at is 1000, I'm on the higher rate of tax and my company dosent let me pay the remainder in installments so it'll be one lump sum.

Buying the 1000 euro bike, what am I likely to see deducted from my wages the week after I get the voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

€1000 will be deducted from your pay BEFORE taxes are calculated. Everyody is slightly different because of marriage status and various other tax reliefs that you might get that someone else doesn't.

But if you earn €1000 per week you will get roughly €200 + a bike worth €1000. If you earn €800 per week you will get a bike worth €1000 and the price of a cup of coffee if you're lucky. Just barely into the higher tax bracket and you don't earn enough for them to take the full cost in one week.

That's based on you being single or not taking any of your spouses tax credits/standard rate cutoff point if married. It also assumes you've been earning the same all year and not just started with the company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I'm about to sign up for this but could do with some advice please.

The bike I'm looking at is 1000, I'm on the higher rate of tax and my company dosent let me pay the remainder in installments so it'll be one lump sum.

Buying the 1000 euro bike, what am I likely to see deducted from my wages the week after I get the voucher?

480 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thanks for that. 480 sounds pretty decent for a 1000 bike. Just wasn't sure when it was being taken as one lump sum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I bought a bike from bike to work scheme in 2012. Do.I.have to wait until 2017 before I can buy another bike through bike to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Amprodude wrote: »
    I bought a bike from bike to work scheme in 2012. Do.I.have to wait until 2017 before I can buy another bike through bike to work?

Every 5 years

It's based on tax years so you can avail again, assuming your employer permits it, from 1 January 2017

• Company Representative Posts: 16 Verified rep Cycle Superstore: Philip

Hey Stereomaniac, drop into any bike store. (preferably ours) ;)
    Have a look at a range of bicycles and if you spot one you like, have a quotation put together by a member of staff. The scheme will cover you up to €1000, anything over that and you will need to cover yourself. Bring the quotation back to your employer. The quotation will list the bike you selected and any safety items (jacket, lights, helmet, lock) also. Your employer will then process the quotation for you using one of the bike to work vendors (there are a number to choose from), you will then be issued with a voucher/ cheque with which to collect your bike. I hope this helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

@CycleSuperstore:Philip Do you have a good selection of sizes in MIPS helmets in your shop? I think my size is 53cm, but haven't been able to find any to try on.

OP:

https://www.biketowork.ie
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/cycle_to_work_scheme.html

@CycleSuperstore:Philip Do you have a good selection of sizes in MIPS helmets in your shop? I think my size is 53cm, but haven't been able to find any to try on.

OP:

https://www.biketowork.ie
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/cycle_to_work_scheme.html

Hey, we sure do. We have a huge range of Bell helmets, and the new Giro Savant and Bishop. Lots to choose from. Always good to see someone asking about MIPS.IMG_20151023_112451.jpg IMG_20151023_112514.jpg

Hey, we sure do. We have a huge range of Bell helmets, and the new Giro Savant and Bishop. Lots to choose from. Always good to see someone asking about MIPS.IMG_20151023_112451.jpg IMG_20151023_112514.jpg

Do you have the Giro Savant with MIPS in standard sizes only, or also in smaller sizes?

Do you have the Giro Savant with MIPS in standard sizes only, or also in smaller sizes?

We have them left in size Small which you'd need as a 53cm

• Advertisement

Thanks! I'll take a wander in. Are they very dear with you?

Thanks! I'll take a wander in. Are they very dear with you?

The Savant is currently €110 here.

The Savant is currently €110 here.
    That's your price on the non-MIPS version isn't it?

Qualitymark was asking about the MIPS variant which is typically more expensive (although with online UK retailers that are not VAT registered in Ireland the VAT can be saved)

EDIT - actually you don't have the MIPS version listed on your website - do you actually stock it at all, as if not Qualitymark would be wasting a journey?

Beasty wrote: »
    That's your price on the non-MIPS version isn't it?

Qualitymark was asking about the MIPS variant which is typically more expensive (although with online UK retailers that are not VAT registered in Ireland the VAT can be saved)

EDIT - actually you don't have the MIPS version listed on your website - do you actually stock it at all, as if not Qualitymark would be wasting a journey?

Correct (on pricing), we did have stock of it in store but not at present. Apologies Qualitymark, the only option we have at the moment is the POC Trabec.

Correct (on pricing), we did have stock of it in store but not at present. Apologies Qualitymark, the only option we have at the moment is the POC Trabec.

Mm. I think I'll wait till I'm next in London or Paris, where there'll be bigger bike shops with a bigger range.

Mm. I think I'll wait till I'm next in London or Paris, where there'll be bigger bike shops with a bigger range.
    If you get chance you can try a normal one on. The fit of MIPS helmets is the same as those without the feature. They just have an additional layer within the helmet to help alleviate/mitigate the consequences of a collision. You can then pick something online if it suits.

If you get chance you can try a normal one on. The fit of MIPS helmets is the same as those without the feature. They just have an additional layer within the helmet to help alleviate/mitigate the consequences of a collision. You can then pick something online if it suits.

But wouldn't I need to try one that fitted to see if it was comfortable, and if it still had that horrid choking feeling from the strap?

But wouldn't I need to try one that fitted to see if it was comfortable, and if it still had that horrid choking feeling from the strap?
    That's what I was suggesting - the "feel/fit" of the MIPS and non-MIPS ones will be the same, so if you get a chance try on a non-MIPS one (unless you can find someone over here stocking the Savant MIPS), and if necessary you can then buy something with an identical fit online (and in all likelihood cheaper if you can avoid the VAT)

That's what I was suggesting - the "feel/fit" of the MIPS and non-MIPS ones will be the same, so if you get a chance try on a non-MIPS one (unless you can find someone over here stocking the Savant MIPS), and if necessary you can then buy something with an identical fit online (and in all likelihood cheaper if you can avoid the VAT)

Mmmsounds a bit of a hack; maybe I'll wait for the big city bike shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Do the changes in the USC from January mean that at the top end your saving will drop from 51% to 49.5%

Advertisement