Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam

Options
  • 18-01-2006 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

Any word of Pearl Jam's new album, I heard on the radio that they re recording this year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Its been in the works for about a year now, the are hoping to release it around sprintime-ish!! No solid name has been given yet but a few of the names of the songs have been given (Worldwide Suicide, 2X4, Severed Hand, Crapshoot and a couple of others). Crapshoot (or Crapshoot Rapture which some people have called it) was played live on two occasions last year, it is a fast paced, punk-ish kind of song. Some of the band have refered in interviews to the album being a lot harder than their last few albums (Mike compared it to Vs.) and they all say Eddie is putting down some amazing vocals. I can't f***ing wait for it.

There is a 99.9% chance that there will be a European tour this year along with a full scale US tour and possibly Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

99.9% chance? How did you calculate that?

I hope this is a return to form for Pearl Jam. Their last two albums were a little underwhelming in my opinion.

They have hinted in a fair amount of interviews over the last few years of their desire to return to Europe for a tour (and its been six years now since their last. I would assume that they wouldn't want their last memory of Europe to be the tragedy at Roskilde). I would actually bet everything I own that we will see them in Europe in the next 12 months. North America always gets a tour, Australia and Japan were on the last major tour, they finally played some gigs in South America in November and December, now its time for Europe and possibly a return to Asia (They haven't played there ex. Japan since '95)

As for the new album, Im convinced its going to be savage, (having heard "Crapshoot" which is apparently a dead cert for the album and "Gone" which nobody seems sure what it will be, im well confident!)

The last couple of albums have been good, Riot Act is very enjoyable with some great songs and Binaural is good also with a couple of great songs but they have been a step down from the magic of the others, particularly Vitalogy and Yield

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I just want to hear some kick ass Matt Cameron drumming.

Great drummer, his drums are sounding a hell of a lot better on the recent NA and SA bootlegs than they were on the 2003 bootlegs.

Still, nothing can touch his drumming on 'Jesus Christ Pose'.
    I know feck all about drumming and drumming techniques but my god, the drumming on that song is just insane, first time I heard it I was gobsmacked :eek: WOW

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm not sure Cameron brings the right balance to the band. I thought Abruzzese and Irons suited them far better.

Could be just a coincidence that he's drummed on their two weakest albums though.

Well I love Abruzzesse's drumming (Just watching and listening to old boots is incredible) but im not sure if he would fit into the PJ of now, then again I havent heard anything else he's done (such as Green Romance Orchestra) so who am I to say.

Jack Irons, fair enough he's got his moments such as In My Tree and what not but he'd prob be my least favourite [proper] PJ drummer (although I absolutely love the albums he's on).

I suppose if I had to list my favourite drummers it would go:

1. Matt Cameron
    2. Dave Abruzzesse
    =3. Jack Irons
    =3. Dave Krusen
    5. Matt Chamberlain (Gets on the list because he played for couple
    of months live and recommended Dave A.)
    6. Jimmy Shoaf (Im including him coz he played on one album track
    so he gets a mention!!!)

Fair enough, the last few albums haven't been their best but IMO they are still miles better than a fair amount of the muck thats been released now.

Don't get me wrong, if there's a new album, I'll buy it, and if there's a concert, well, I'll be there too. I just think some of the numbers Cameron has helped pen, such as 'You Are', are slow and dreary and add nothing to the band. It's not a question of individual talent, which Cameron has in spades, so much as what it does to the dynamic of the band.

Actually, I think if you put the best of Binaural, Riot Act and, more importantly, the songs they left off these albums, together you'd have a pretty strong album. I just hope they exercise better quality control this time and let the songs come to them rather than producing filler.

It's a pity Abruzzese has pretty much fallen off the scene since leaving PJ. I thought he was a phenomenal drummer personally.

Agreed, Get Right and You Are aren't my favourites off of RA. (I wish they had put 'Down' and 'Last Soldier' on their instead)

I'm really hoping for massive things from the new album, just have to sit around and wait :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

So they might be touring later this year?

• Advertisement

More than likely, actually its very, very, very likely (as in almost a dead cert!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Pearl Jam were a great band.That five album run between 91 and 98 really was special..if they had packed it in after Yield their legacy would be spoken of in awe now.
    While the decline began with Binaural,they reached the bottom of the barrel with the comically awful Lightning Bolt.
    I’ll still buy the new album but expectations are very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Ah come on !! 12 years old , the thread is 12 years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I liked the first album a little. After that, not so much.

Advertisement