Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal

Options
  • 22-01-2005 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Havn't been online in a few days so forgive me for starting this before the other thread got locked!

As some frequenters to this weather forum may or may not know, I post on TWO quite a bit. The reason being is that the weather forum there is far better *laid out* than Boards/Sci/Weather.

I have read the "In defence of Weathercheck" thread and I would like to propose the following:

* Rename the "Rain or Shine... you can post it here" thread to TODAYS CURRENT CONDITIONS.

* Rename the "The winter storm forecast Thread" thread to WINTER DISCUSSION or LONG RANGE FORECASTS

* A new thread to discuss Model Outputs inc Wetterzentrale and Fax Charts and other model outputs probably called WHAT THE MODEL CHARTS ARE SAYING

* Another thread to discuss MEDIA FORECASTS from RTE, TV3, MetO etc...

* I also propose that giving Weatherchecks interest and commitment to this forum that he become an Admin in some effect as to help manage this forum.

I find that the lack of stability and clear layout of this forum actually detracts people from sustaining an interest here, I know I do.

So, here here to Weathercheck, I hope that my proposals are seriously considered and implemented.

Just to use an example, this forum was booming on Christmas Day with all the snow. I think that if some or all of the above points are taken on board, then the interest will be just as good on a regular basis!

Lets make this forum the IRISH equivilant of TWO! ;)

Comments

Some good ideas there Danno.

I'll give my considered view later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

* A new thread to discuss Model Outputs inc Wetterzentrale and Fax Charts and other model outputs probably called WHAT THE MODEL CHARTS ARE SAYING

...provided that links to said model images are posted and not the images themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hi i also think that we should consider a "Short Term" discussion thread
    so we can discuss the weather in the short term and not in a "winter"
    perspective?? :)

Anyway thanks for your points Danno ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

This board is not centre for creating weather forecasts,its a centre for discussing them.

I took this quote from the defending wethercheck thread. Why not set up a sub forum for forcasting the weather ? Weatherchecks forcasts are the main reason I read this forum and I doubt if I am alone in that.

I will duplicate this post on the forums forum.

ok I am renaming the winter sticky, the current weather indications thread for now.
    Keep all discussion on forecasting in there please.
    As regards new threads,only open these to discuss specefic events .
    For example opening a thread on a thursday saying next tuesday is going to be cold and windy with wintry showers is not acceptable...
    However opening a thread to discuss the likelyhood of snow the following tuesday on a thursday is acceptable if thats the clear purpose of the thread.

There are three moderators here who will close and bin spurious threads so use common sense guys.
    The aim here is for tidyness not clutter and to keep it simple.

I don't see the need for specefic sticky threads on various models,on what the met are saying or on what the TV or Radio are saying-but certainly start threads on them if you want to discuss them or have issues with them.

In general and for the most part though, unless its a specefic weather event, keep it in the sticky and link from there to any new thread that you start if it's a case where it's necessary to give an event a thread of its own.
    It would be important to note in the sticky that you are linking to the new thread to make a search easier later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Danno wrote:
    As some frequenters to this weather forum may or may not know, I post on TWO quite a bit. The reason being is that the weather forum there is far better *laid out* than Boards/Sci/Weather.
    In what way?
    * Rename the "Rain or Shine... you can post it here" thread to TODAYS CURRENT CONDITIONS.
    Personally I think that would make the thread look like an official daily forecast thread which it isn't, rather than a place for people to casually post up the weather they just saw which it is.
    * Rename the "The winter storm forecast Thread" thread to WINTER DISCUSSION or LONG RANGE FORECASTS
    A thread for people to post up their own forecasts would be good.
    Could well generate some interesting stuff. As billy said it would need to be linked images rather than posted in thread.
    * Another thread to discuss MEDIA FORECASTS from RTE, TV3, MetO etc...
    I don't see the point of a specific thread for this. People could make their own on a once off basis.
    * I also propose that giving Weatherchecks interest and commitment to this forum that he become an Admin in some effect as to help manage this forum.
    Moderating a forum isn't a reward of some kind or opportunity to push an agenda. It's a job given by the admins of boards.ie and easily taken away if those doing it are shown to do it badly. If you think anyone of us is doing a bad job I suggest you take it up with the admins of the site.
    I find that the lack of stability and clear layout of this forum actually detracts people from sustaining an interest here, I know I do.
    You're going to have to flesh that out a bit before it sounds anything other than pontification.
    Just to use an example, this forum was booming on Christmas Day with all the snow. I think that if some or all of the above points are taken on board, then the interest will be just as good on a regular basis!
    This forum booms with an interesting or bad weather event. That level of interest is unsustainable at other times simply because the general population of boards.ie isn't that interested in the weather unless it's doing something interesting. Much like everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Danno wrote:

I disagree. I just had a look there... and the layout is a lot more cluttered than here. Its what ever you are used to. Differ'nt strokes etc.

My €0.02

I have to say i knida like the "Rain or Shine" thread and think
    its good.

What would be good would to have a "Winter Discussion thread"
    a "Short Term Discussion thread" and a "Model Discussion thread"
    but what worries me even 3 threads is pushing the amount of posts
    there going to get. The Boards weather forum has probably about
    10? Regulars and around 20? watchers on uninteresting weather
    days and that rises to over 100-200 for example when it snows.

So heres my proposal:

1) Keep the rain or shine thread for current conditions

2) Have a Short term weather discussion thread (3days) NEW

3) Long term forecasts/Model Output discussion thread
    for looking (equivelent of Winter with name change and
    model discussion)

4) A forecast thread for people's personal forecasts.. NEW

And to note as much as i'd love to become a higher member
    of the weather forum i have only been here for a month
    or so and the current admin do a great job keeping the
    place in a good state ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The Muppet wrote:
    I took this quote from the defending wethercheck thread. Why not set up a sub forum for forcasting the weather ? Weatherchecks forcasts are the main reason I read this forum and I doubt if I am alone in that.

I also read here for weatherchecks forecast , shame he hasnt got a sms service :)

kdjac

Great idea Kdjac...check my site later for details twill be free atm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

WOW! - Good discussion people - very constructive ideas in this!

Just a few things to point out after reading peoples responses!

1 - I don't have a problem with any mod/admin on this forum! LOL! :)

2 - I think that everything should have a place and everything in it's place. Clear and to-the-point thread titles should be used to achieve this.

3 - I do hope that Weathercheck is not criticised for starting threads, it is vital to the interest of this forum that he is allowed to be the "Mr Exclusive" bringing the latest and future unfolding events on to this forum!

4 - I am looking forward to the outcome of this! :)

Danno wrote:
    3 - I do hope that Weathercheck is not criticised for starting threads, it is vital to the interest of this forum that he is allowed to be the "Mr Exclusive" bringing the latest and future unfolding events on to this forum!

Well to be frank, threads should contain the word "possible" when there is no certainty or only a medium possibility.
    The current thread "snow this evening" is an example of where the word possible should have been used...
    I don't think anywhere got snow(except maybe the very top of the mournes or lugnaquilla) , yet the impression from the thread was to expect snow as a given.If you are forecasting something that may happen,its always best to put the level of doubt in there aswell, otherwise , if you had a few repeats of this evenings exercise, eventually people wouldnt take you seriously.

I'm considering banning "winking" by the way ;)

Earthman wrote:
    Well to be frank, threads should contain the word "possible" when there is no certainty or only a medium possibility.
    The current thread "snow this evening" is an example of where the word possible should have been used...

I doubt if anyone thinks that the weather forcasts here are 100% accurate, surely there is no need to spell that out in thread titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The Muppet wrote:
    I doubt if anyone thinks that the weather forcasts here are 100% accurate, surely there is no need to spell that out in thread titles.

Well a 6hr forecast should be getting near to being 100%, as it was it was hardly 5% (bringing Laois into equation). Adding in the word "possible" brings the % up substantionally

Mothman wrote:
    Well a 6hr forecast should be getting near to being 100%, as it was it was hardly 5% (bringing Laois into equation).

Someone should tell the Met service. I don't see why it should be necessary to add "Possible" when forcasting the asweather as most people will realaise its an inexact science and are well used to forcasts being wrong. I think the argument for its inclusion in thread titles is pedantic.

The Muppet wrote:
    Someone should tell the Met service. I don't see why it should be necessary to add "Possible" when forcasting the asweather as most people will realaise its an inexact science and are well used to forcasts being wrong. I think the argument for its inclusion in thread titles is pedantic.
    I have to respectively disagree.
    Last week I had to change a thread title of weatherchecks called blizzards
    there was some snow, yes but very little in the East if any and none in Dublin except for the mountains.You don't see hysteria in UK and Irish met forecasts for a reason... Heres what weathercheck predicted
    Heavy Snow showers and gales or severe gales will spread from
    west to east during Monday evening. There is a risk of distruption
    due to snow and gales in all areas in Ireland. Accumalations of
    10-15cm's of snow in the North and West are likely with drifting.
    The added hazard of gale force winds with gusts to 70mph will
    bring the risk of Blizzards. Even Eastern areas can expect
    some Blizzard conditions through Monday Night.
    Higher routes will be worst affected with road closures likely/
    here
    I dont think anywhere got 10 cm's a few places got maybe 7 or 8 cm's but it wasnt widespread.There was little or no disruption except for the sheep on the mountain tops.

Now thats where the word possible is appropriate in a thread title-leaving it out means definite which is very misleading.

Sorry Earthman i have to disagree parts of Ulster did see 10cm's of snow
    there was 4 inches around Antrim...and around 5cm's widely in Ulster..
    Nearing 15 on the Mournes..
    I recieved around 2 hours of snow in total, with a dusting in the morning
    i would determine what i saw on Monday night as a "Blizzard" it was
    only a Blizzard for a few minutes but winds were gusting above 45mph
    and it was snowing Heavily there was a around 1-2cm's lying for a while..

So no i dont think that that thread should of had "possible" on it, it
    even made the news as travel distruption was caused, i remember
    seeing it as the main headline on the one o clock news on Monday..

Sorry Earthman i have to disagree parts of Ulster did see 10cm's of snow
    there was 4 inches around Antrim...and around 5cm's widely in Ulster..
    Nearing 15 on the Mournes..
    That wasnt widespread-only the high ground got that amount of snow and a few low lying areas.
    If you classify what Dublin got as a blizzard, then I suggest you re appraise your definition of a blizzard to be honest and maybe have a look at New York today.
    There was beggar all disruption.Sure there was a main news item on a slow news day at 1pm, but that was quickly pushed back to 2nd last item on later bulletins as RTÉ could only show mountain scenes and a few slushy roads for their reports... and where were the road closures?
    there was a around 1-2cm's lying for a while..
    The equivalent of a hard frost and certainly not disruption.

What you are describing is melodramatic.

Earthman wrote:

Now thats where the word possible is appropriate in a thread title-leaving it out means definite which is very misleading.

I see you point Earthman and I appreciate that you are the mod here and have to deal with whatever fallout there may be from the content of your forum but it would surprise me if anyone treated the forecasts in the forum with anything more than an inquisitive interest as to their accuracy.

I dont know weathercheck personally but I am of the opinion that he is a young lad with an interest and reasonably knowledge of the weather. I think some of the comments directed at him in the past few days were very wrong and I was surprised the personal ones were let stand.

I don't post much on the forum but I do read it most days and weatherchecks posts are the ones I find most interesting. Thats not to say I put too much faith in them and I think most other people would be the same. If the Met service with their vast resources can not get it right all the I just think it's harsh to criticise a young amature (assuming that to be the case) when he gets it wrong.

You know something the muppet, that was a nice post :)
    And I agree with you.

We're not trying to be harsh here, its just constructive criticism and should be take as such.In the case of weathercheck it's actually meant to be helpfull.

And weathercheck if you are listening... ( :D ) I do enjoy your posts even if I dont agree at times with some of your analysis.

This thread stays open if anyone has any further suggestions-myself and dappergent will review it later and decide what we think is best.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    You know something the muppet, that was a nice post :)
    And I agree with you.

We're not trying to be harsh here, its just constructive criticism and should be take as such.In the case of weathercheck it's actually meant to be helpfull.

And weathercheck if you are listening... ( :D ) I do enjoy your posts even if I dont agree at times with some of your analysis.

This thread stays open if anyone has any further suggestions-myself and dappergent will review it later and decide what we think is best.

Cheers Earthman .

I will go back to browsing .

Im deeply hurt :o:D:D:D;)

Dont worry you'll never shake me off :eek: :D;)

Any word on my suggested changes? And the changes other people have suggested on here too!

Danno wrote:
    Any word on my suggested changes? And the changes other people have suggested on here too!
    To repeat... :)
    Earthman wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ok, I've tended to give weather, astronomy and gadgets a bit of a berth as the mods (and in this case I especially refer to Dapper and Earthman) do a grand job and I usually don't need to add anything.

Basically I don't have much to contribute to Earthman's and Dappergents original post here but I'd like to point out a few things.

1)I agree with The Muppet about the conduct of some poster here towards others. Its not on. The parties have been informed as such and I won't give anyone another warning about getting personal.

2)RE: Danno's points, no user is going to get preferential treatment from me and as such weathercheck is just as entitled to post as any other user. He's not going to get any special treatment though and his insistence on opening up new threads rather than confining himself to the ones already open is fast wearing my patience thin (it means extra boards e-mail for me to trudge through).

3) Finally, the mods of the forum (Earthman and Dappergent) do a fantastic job on a busy forum. I'm not quite sure why anyone else would be needed and how anyone can fault their contribution and commitment.

TO SKYE: As I have said earlier, I have no problems with any of the Admins/Mods here, I am relatively new to Boards.ie anyways!

I also feel, that giving Weathercheck's enthusiasm about the weather, that he should be elevated to an admin/mod status (just for this forum obviously!)

Every time I visit here (Boards-Sci-Weather) I see one or two (if any) new threads opened up, so I fail to see your argument in: his insistence on opening up new threads rather than confining himself to the ones already open is fast wearing my patience thin

I feel that this weather forum could achieve great interest if it was more clear, better layed out etc... The current setup is quite brief - Rain or Shine... and an odd thread started by Weathercheck himself.

People are interested in this forum, but if there is not three or four active threads running, each covering specific aspects of the weather, then it is no use. I for one leave this forum because of the lack of active threads/discussion.

To conclude, we need more in this forum than is currently offered/allowed. If the Admins/Mods are un-interested in giving this thread their full attention, then let someone like weathercheck who IMO is very willing and enthusiastic the oppertunity and chance to give it a shot, as you said yourself it means extra boards e-mail for me to trudge through then let Matty do it instead!

Danno wrote:
    Every time I visit here (Boards-Sci-Weather) I see one or two (if any) new threads opened up, so I fail to see your argument in: his insistence on opening up new threads rather than confining himself to the ones already open is fast wearing my patience thin
    He has stopped doing that now.
    Seriously though 3 clicks or so by me or the other mods moves and merges unnecessary threads in a matter of seconds and we are on line most of the day-so I doubt if you would have seen any they would have been dealt with so fast ;)

*I might add Syke is a category mod-an overLord so to speak who receives notification of new threads here* he looks after the entire SCI section so has enough to be doing besides coming in here reading multiple threads to see if they are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Danno wrote:
    I think this is the best idea I've seen on boards in a long while. DapperGent just pmed me to agree.

:nosmilie:

me runs to the forums board to suggest a sarcasm board
    proposal will be seconded by lafortenza-I'm sure I saw a pm about that

Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement