Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The head on him

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Its one of the cringiest things ever when Irish people scoff at Irish people for wearing GAA jerseys or whatever when abroad. Like imagine if it was a group of Germans wearing football jerseys, nobody would bar an eyelid but because their skin is as bit milky and they're wearing a jersey, it's "embarrassing".

But I can spot an Irish lad abroad. Will be wearing a snapback and some t shirt that is way too small for him and outrageously short shorts. I call it "I'm trying to fit in but stick out like a sore thumb" irish college lad abroad

I saw an Irish lad on a lowrider bike today, no socks, big stupid curly head of hair on him, in Ireland. that is the kind of guy you are talking about id say.

In 2001, I was in the Valley of Kings in Egypt, dressed in black shirt, black jeans, and black steel-toe-capped boots, when I noticed a yellow-belly Wexford jersey on some lad. :D I didn't approach him...

Marilyn Manson over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

We have big round heads.

I have a blockhead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

If you never heard of one direction and was shown a picture you’d pick Niall all day as irish, the head on him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The spud head and the walk like your leading cattle always gives it away.

Sums it up fairly well I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Rimmy wrote: »
    His head looks like someone from Ireland. Pretty easy to distinguish nationalities.

Line up an Irish man, a Chinese man and a Nigerian and pretty sure I could pick out the Irish person.

It's got nothing to do with nationalities.

https://www.irishslang.info/roscommon/roscommon/the-head-on-him-and-the-price-a-turnips

It's basically making out some one looks like an eejit. Or stands out for some reason. Even if they don't...

https://youtu.be/OhdXJrGr1iM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The Irish are one of the ugliest nationalities out there...big spud heads with pale complexions...

Easy to spot....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Rimmy wrote: »
    His head looks like someone from Ireland. Pretty easy to distinguish nationalities.

Line up an Irish man, a Chinese man and a Nigerian and pretty sure I could pick out the Irish person.

Was it Jason Sherlock?

The Irish are one of the ugliest nationalities out there...big spud heads with pale complexions...

Easy to spot....

That is seen as great beauty in certain parts of the world. id say we are actually a good looking nation overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

In 2001, I was in the Valley of Kings in Egypt, dressed in black shirt, black jeans, and black steel-toe-capped boots, when I noticed a yellow-belly Wexford jersey on some lad. :D I didn't approach him...
    Spent a month that summer traveling about Egypt and I dont think I met any Irish person bar the two other Corkonians I was with. It was so hot that wearing a light tshirt you would be covered in sweat, I gave up shaking fly's off me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Easy to spot....

Amidst all that generic brownness?

Go to the Far East see how they break out the brolleys in sunshine. How they aspire to paleness; aspire to beauty. Aspire to purity.

*I, for the record am not pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Wouldn't have my milk white skin any other way.

Awful how much Irish people put themselves down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The recieved notion about how irish look abroad is pretty flimsy. I would have thought a typically caucasian Irish look was more likely to be dark hair, pale skin. I think what really marks us abroad is more subcultural: dress, choice of destination; behaviour etc. The stuff about mallet heads and so on is funny but way off the beam and based on the type of place people travel to more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You spot them negotiating with lucky lucky men trying to bargain down the purchase of complete lashed together fake football tops, then when they have secured said purchase they tell everyone what a bargain they got when in reality they have been completely ripped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I've been mistaken for Polish by Irish people and Polish people. One time a group of Polish lads adopted me into their group in the nightclub under the assumption I was one of them but basically told me to **** off when I told them I was in fact Irish.

I think it's because I'm 6 ft. 3 and have an awful dour demeanour about me.

I wonder about the Polish lasses, when they found out you were Irish, would they not touch you with a 6 foot 3 pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

dh1985 wrote: »
    What was the story with your own get-up. Were you excavating the place

Too much of a metal head to dress comfortably for the climate, I would reckon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stealing all the sunbeds at 5.30 in the morning
    and invading Poland. Sneaky teutonic feckers they are.
    Bobblehats wrote: »
    Amidst all that generic brownness?

Go to the Far East see how they break out the brolleys in sunshine. How they aspire to paleness; aspire to beauty. Aspire to purity.

*I, for the record am not pale.
    I'd be the whitest guy in the room at Dracula's book club meeting and I like it tbh. Plus I can't tan. Hell I can't even burn. Must have the palest melanin on the planet. That said in southern Europe talking to me the locals almost always kick off with the local language rather than English or German, so I must look somewhat Latin.

On airports; younger Irish folks you can't really tell I've found, unless yeah they're in GAA shirts and the like. Irish people past 30? Then yeah, much easier to spot in general. Pale, bad hair, spud heads and some gut showing in clothes too tight for the occasion and clothes would tend not to be too curated. Shorts too. It is my long considered opinion that shorts should never ever be worn by men over 30. Especially for ill proportioned blokes already those long ones that make your already stumpy legs look even stumpier and make your midsection look like you're about to give birth to a space hopper. We tend to get middle aged spread at a younger age. Italians can look stylish and/or tacky but they tend to pork up quite young too. The Spanish not so much, but less "stylish" than Italians. The French tend to be more well bolted together I've found, but depends on where they're from. The Dutch are giants. The English tend to follow their stereotype of being in ordered queues bumbling about with about the same style levels of us, but with less craic to them. I'd say IMHO and very generally that the French in international airports tend to look the most polished.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

... and the price of turnips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually one thing stands out with Irish people, we're much more smiley, more open of face. Some nationalities... no names, no pack drill, but, well let's just say a confirmed dry sh1te in Ireland could be a nationally known comedian in some such places.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Same as with travellers. I can always know straight away . Certain traits I suppose.
    No different to an Irish person on holiday

• Advertisement

This fella, head on him.

?width=360&version=1307973

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Wouldn't have my milk white skin any other way.

Awful how much Irish people put themselves down.

Wow. Honestly that sounds a bit... yeah...

You’re not allowed to like your skin if it’s white?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Don't encourage 'em...

Don't encourage 'em...

A post that ridiculous deserved my ridiculous reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Sorry but here in the 21st century white supremacy is considered problematic, hun.

Sorry but here in the 21st century white supremacy is considered problematic, hun.

Ah, you’re just under informed. Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Jesus, is this person having a laugh folks do ye think? Or are they serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

We do stand out. My wife, a Spaniard, always throws us in with any assortment of 'Northerners' (anyone from Northern Europe to Soaniards) but you can see the differences. It is most noticeable when we're on holidays. She'll say 'There's one of yours' when she says someone particularly white but she's only right about half the time.

Irish people are a pastier kind of white. There's a lot more freckles too and a browner tone of hair. Those from GB tend to have a bit more colour and a noticeably different dress sense, Fred Perry and Burberry being brands that I've rarely seen Irish people wear. This is too subtle for Spaniards to spot, however. We do tend to dress with the least amount of clothes possible, being used to the cold and all.

Advertisement