Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can A tenant change a hob without telling landlord?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I look after a house in flats for my mother I've one tenant who started out with small requests or taking small liberties now she thinks she's in charge and it's only going to get worse.

Pure and simple, tell them no, your sister had the hob checked and it was fine twice. If she wasn't happy she should have shown the repair guy exactly what was wrong with it. Now she has a second hand hob and no paper work. It's her loss she'll remember it so that there isn't a next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You will be in breach of a tenant's right to peaceful enjoyment of their home- if you do this. Tenants have successfully argued to the RTB that an annual check should be sufficient and any landlords who decide to inspect more frequently are impinging on tenant's rights. There has to be a balance- the deck of cards are stacked in favour of tenants however.

The RTB have insisted on a 3 monthly inspections in cases I have attended and when a tenant has allowed damage to run has only allowed the landlord compensation up to the time the landlord in their opinion should have discovered it, not when the landlord actually discovered it if longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is a lot od assumption and misreading. I have acted as a landlord for over 20 years.

I fully accept it is not my home but it is my property and so is the content provided. They have absolutely no right to destroy my property.

I certainly don't expect a tenant to treat property and content as their own. They destroyed €2000 worth of sofas and claimed to owe me nothing and then offered €600 cheap furniture as a replacement after they were used by them.

Never complain why there is cheap furniture in a rented place when tenants act like this.it just doesn't make financial sense to spend money on furniture when renting. I have the same make and model of washing machine after 10 years working fine. One lasted 3 years in rental the other 2 less than 2 years. Shows the attitude of tenants and you seem to think this is to be expected. Great then you know why rents are high. It is work to rent property whether you have moral objections or not. I earn my money

What make of machine is it? I can't get any more than 3 years out of any white appliances in my house, yes I buy my own before anyone asks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What make of machine is it? I can't get any more than 3 years out of any white appliances in my house, yes I buy my own before anyone asks.

Don't buy cheap rubbish. Many appliances last years longer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

+1

Buy proper appliances- from reputable manufacturers- sure they'll cost more upfront- however, over the lifespan of the product you'll more than see the economic and usage benefit of not skimping.

From the perspective of a landlord- you can claim 1/8th of the cost as an allowable expense against rental income over an 8 year period- regardless of the price of the item- anyhow (which equates to roughly a 50% discount on the cost price of the item)- so skimping really doesn't pay in the longer run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The best I've gotten from any machine was the cheap one!! I've had all the brand names at this stage, Bosch, Hoover, Phillips etc. I've a cheap n cheerful Nordmende that's into its third year, the missus loves it, no fancy programs, no fancy flashing lights blah blah blah, it just washed the clothes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Here a no nonsence Wirlpool washing machine and is 10 years old
    Still working with non problems
    Just how they handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

The best I've gotten from any machine was the cheap one!! I've had all the brand names at this stage, Bosch, Hoover, Phillips etc. I've a cheap n cheerful Nordmende that's into its third year, the missus loves it, no fancy programs, no fancy flashing lights blah blah blah, it just washed the clothes...

I have Beko, cheap and never let me down. 11 years I have fridge freezer, washing machine and dishwasher. As someone said, don't abuse them, and they will be as good as any brand.

Our chest freezer is 32 years old and still going strong, it’s almost as old as me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Hard water will destroy any make of dishwasher or washing machine.

recyclebin wrote: »

And try explaining to a tenant that they should run a HW cycle once a month in a washing machine. Even if you supply them with the HW kit- they simply won't run it- its too much trouble for them- and sure why should they- when the landlord is obliged to get them a new machine when they clog up the old one.

recyclebin wrote: »

Then you need to install a water softening system rather than destroying washing machines, dishwashers and kettles over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Long story short my sisters tenant complained twice about a problem with their hob. The hob was checked twice by an appliance repair guy and she was told both times it was working fine. The repair guy gave my sister his view that the impression he got was that the tenant wanted a new hob.

Today my sister gets a message to say the tenant had someone in and has replaced the hob without her consent or knowledge and is now looking for the cost of all. My sister asked me my advice but I am not sure. Any thoughts?

I'd look at it from your tenants point of view...okay obviously what they did wasn't the correct way to do things...but it did hasten a conclusion.

Ask your sister:
    Was the existing hob old? If so, she probably would eventually replace it anyhow...is the price on the new hob reasonable?
    Does she want hassle and holds her landlord principles and rules up high?

Remember the future shopping hassle and conflict hassle can be a pain in the b***, im a landlord and ive dealth with this sort of thing before...
    So what if the tenant wanted a new hob, these are people were housing we wants and desires.
    Id take the option and pay for it, this doesnt mean your a pushover..it means your reasonable and understanding..remember you'd probably buy it anyhow eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

dvdman1 wrote: »
    I'd look at it from your tenants point of view...okay obviously what they did wasn't the correct way to do things...but it did hasten a conclusion.

Ask your sister:
    Was the existing hob old? If so, she probably would eventually replace it anyhow...is the price on the new hob reasonable?

Remember the future shopping hassle and conflict hassle can be a pain in the b***, im a landlord and ive dealth with this sort of thing before...
    So what if the tenant wanted a new hob, these are people were housing we wants and desires.
    Id take the option and pay for it, this doesnt mean your a pushover..it means your reasonable and understanding..remember you'd probably buy it anyhow eventually.

Being a landlord is about minimising cost especially when not necessary. Yes, they would eventually have to get a new one but you only get a new one when the old one is faulty. The tenant may have needs and wants but that shouldn’t interfere with what I’m doing. If they WANT something. They can spend their own money but it doesn’t give them the right to destroy my property.

Ask your sister:

Id take the option and pay for it, this doesnt mean your a pushover..it mens your reasonable and understanding..remember you'd probably buy it anyhow eventually.

You are entitled to your opinion but I would totally disagree with this approach for multiple reasons but on the principle alone I would not allow a tenant to dictate to me and they can sing for the money but they wouldn’t get a cent and would be on my “evict as soon as possible” list also.

• Advertisement

Ask your sister:

Just because a landlord has depreciated a hob (or any other item) does not infer in any manner shape or form, that the item is at the end of its usable life. In the OP's case- the tenant reported the hob as broken. The landlord sucked up the expense of having it checked by a qualified technician- not once but twice. It passed with flying colours. The tenant, then, in a fit of pique, ripped it out and went and bought a new hob (why- is anyone's guess)- and is now trying to bill the landlord for a totally unnecessary item- all the while they've discards/skipped/recycled- the hob that was inspected and found to be in perfect working order- twice over.

How anyone imagines this is fair or reasonable behaviour- is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Then you need to install a water softening system rather than destroying washing machines, dishwashers and kettles over and over.

even in peoples own primary dwellings this seldom happens, we're some country for just not taking care of our water.

Advertisement