Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reopened Athlone-Mullingar - 6,800 Passengers Per Week - IE Estimate

Options
  • 27-06-2006 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

http://www.midlandsradio.fm/news_detail.aspx?news_id=2468

New report on reopening of Mullingar-Athlone rail link

New plans to re-open the Mullingar to Athlone raillink are being presented to the Minister for Transport today.

Westmeath County Council, Iarnroid Eireann and Athlone IT have made submissions to the report which estimates 6,800 passengers would use the rail line per week.

Last year the Martin Cullen requested a detailed land use plan centred on the railway line in order to give further consultation to the proposal.

The expert study group found that the capital cost for the project would be 84 million euro, almost half that estimated by the government in the Strategic Rail Review.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

if they reopen the Mullingar Athlone line they will have to re do the old platforms 1 and 2 which are in very seroius disrepair. They will have have to put the tracks back the way they were with 2 tracks at platform 1 and 2, 2 more tracks on the existing sligo platmorms 3 and 4 and also the wierd platform 5 which is never used but they liaded new tracks there anway.

But let bring them it on. I really hope to see this line opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Would it not make sense to route the Dublin-Galway trains on this route or is there some reason not to? Perhaps that would relieve congestion leading into Heuston given that that line now requires four tracks?

Slice wrote:
    Would it not make sense to route the Dublin-Galway trains on this route or is there some reason not to? Perhaps that would relieve congestion leading into Heuston given that that line now requires four tracks?

It would make alot of sence but they would need to double track from Mullingar to Maynooth to cope with the extra trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Slice wrote:

Wasn't this the original route between Dublin and Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Wasn't this the original route between Dublin and Galway?
    The original route was via Mullingar

Problem is the Mullingar line is not suitable for any kind of serious speed, it will be 100mph limit from Inchicore to Portarlington (Curragh excepted) once the 4 track section goes in, but from a commuter prospective running via Mullingar offers better integration. If it was built as 2 tracks to whole way Maynooth Athlone (as it was originally) you could just match current Athlone Heuston times but thats unlikely

6,800 week is 350,000 a year, two and a half times the number between Limerick and Ennis a line of similar length

What you are looking at is a regional commuter line which also could take freight off the Portarlington section as well (freeing up intercity slots) as serve as a secondary intercity. Back in the 1980's it was regular practice to use the line to avoid breakdowns and engineering work. Athlone Moate is in fact signalled under computer control.

The line had full mainline status till 1976 and secondary status until the late 1980's. It stopped seeing trains when the mail trains and Asahi trains diverted

This is sensible stuff no victim complex, decent numbers and appears the local councils might get the planning to match

• Advertisement

Come to think about it I don't suppose routing Galway-Dublin through Mullingar could be done until Spencer Dock is opened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

what capacity is the line between mullingar and maynooth currently operting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Slice wrote:
    Come to think about it I don't suppose routing Galway-Dublin through Mullingar could be done until Spencer Dock is opened

A bigger problem wouuld be Athlone Station, the Current Station is on the Athlone-Portarlington branch, so would not be reachable by a Galway-Mullingar-Dublin train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

dmeehan wrote:
    what capacity is the line between mullingar and maynooth currently operting at?

17(9 + 8)trains a day in total, although there is a concentration early morning and between 5 and 7 in the evening. Single track to Maynooth with passing points at Killucan, Enfield and Kilcock. Capacity on the track isn't currently a problem, but Maynooth-Connolly is, especially crossing the DART lines at Connolly.

Connolly-Athlone was all originaly double track and most of the trackbed is still there. Refurb of platforms at Mullingar would be required, along with new stations at Castletown and Moate. As pointed out, the current Athlone station is useless for this track and the old station west of the Shannon would need to be reopened. The level crossing on the Ballymahon Road would also cause problems, as traffic levels are very high here.

You could also run Limerick/Galway-Sligo services on this route, but I don't think that's what WOT had in mind.

Why did they close the old station at athlone anyway?

• Advertisement

Current one is deemed more central

Old station is still more or less intact, platforms are still there as is the passing loop which is used

The one issue which as cursed all attempts to get the line reopened is the station issue

Surely a solution to the Athlone station issue isn't that hard to come by?

I can't imagine it would represent a huge infrastructural investment to link the two lines before the current athlone station instead of after?

This, in the main, is what I find remarkable about Irish railways; seemingly simply solutions to railway infrastructure aren't implemented - for example, how hard would it be to link Cork-Limerick by commuter/regional rail given the fact that most of the railway infrastructure is already there, all that would be required is a spur on cork-dublin towards limerick utilising the Limerick-rosslare line at Limerick junction instead of the somewhat ridiculous situation at present where passengers have to change in the middle of nowhere.

In my opinion the same could be said of the Tralee branch; why isn't it looped onto the Cork-Dublin mainline in the direction of Cork instead of Dublin - that way regional towns could be linked to eachother instead of all of them radiating from Dublin where there is a capacity issue. Perhaps such actions would also go in someway to silencing the voices of those demanding the total reopening of the WRC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

A bigger problem wouuld be Athlone Station, the Current Station is on the Athlone-Portarlington branch, so would not be reachable by a Galway-Mullingar-Dublin train

Open both stations and have all Inter-City and Local services stop at them. This is normal practice all over the world. Nothing OTT about it. This would allow fantastic connections and rail travel options in the Midlands into the East and West. Athlone would be some rail travel centre if this happened.

But like Navan, even though it makes sense on paper and good passenger numbers, it fatally falls down by not having a preist rattling his rosary beads in Cullen's face so no chance of Athlone-Mullingar happening.

Cullen prefers the one-on-one "beeseeching" rather than a viable business plans for reopening rail lines.

Slice wrote:
    Surely a solution to the Athlone station issue isn't that hard to come by?
    Its easy if you have the money
    I can't imagine it would represent a huge infrastructural investment to link the two lines before the current athlone station instead of after?
    The old station (which in fact was the primary station for decades) is on the west side of the Shannon, given the existing station might be close to the centre of Athlone it is still a fair walk in if someone had the guts you could revert to the old station, both have good access from the bypass, problem is there is only one one river crossing so getting around is quite roundabout

A deviation comes at a high price since you need a public inquiry, railway works order and all the hassle that goes with that. It would require a fair bit of CPO, add in the time at least 3 years before you could take a shovel out
    for example, how hard would it be to link Cork-Limerick by commuter/regional rail given the fact that most of the railway infrastructure is already there, all that would be required is a spur on cork-dublin towards limerick utilising the Limerick-rosslare line at Limerick junction instead of the somewhat ridiculous situation at present where passengers have to change in the middle of nowhere.
    There was in recent years a direct train to Limerick from Cork, it ceased to run, wasn't used the track is already in place no need for any reversing or other fun, in fact no need to stop

In the early days of P11 we used to have a sweet slide for the presentations which showed a 1970's photo of the Dublin to Galway train from Connelly entering the Phoenix Park tunnel on its way from Galway via the Athlone-Mullingar line.

I guess that photo was faked too...:rolleyes:

Mullingar line comes into Athlone north of the current station. It joins the Galway line just short of the Shannon and just after Athlone station. There's no room to reroute the track in Athlone as there's too many houses, roads and hills in the way. The only way I could imagine a reroute working would be if you ran the line south from Moate and joined way before you reach Athlone, but the costs would be horrendous.

Reopening the old station would be a much lesser evil. The town is starting to develop west of the Shannon, as most of the land on the eastern side has already been used up. The station is beside the barracks and industrial estate on the Shannon and could be in the centre of an apartment boom if either of these are redeveloped(which seems likely).

Occidental wrote:
    Reopening the old station would be a much lesser evil. The town is starting to develop west of the Shannon, as most of the land on the eastern side has already been used up. The station is beside the barracks and industrial estate on the Shannon and could be in the centre of an apartment boom if either of these are redeveloped(which seems likely).

Fix up the platform/few shelters and put a couple of ticket machines in. Close down Woodlawn and Attymon and reopen Moate station, and the "Galway" platform at Mullingar. You could even have a Mullingar-Athlone-Galway connecting service which waits for the Dublin - Sligo train at Mullingar (this would ease conflicts on the Dublin-Mullingar section). The possibilities are endless really and very exciting.

How many automatic level crossing barriers on the WRC would pay for all this above and in the process actually deliver the kick-ass, integrated national rail network with super connections and communiting/inter-city options into the West of Ireland AND the Midlands?

Athlone EAST and Athlone WEST stations. Sounds right dosen't it. A Midlands rail communiting network which feed into the east and the west of the country. People constantly take about rail communting outside Dublin being used to develop public transport in regional locations, and this a perfect example of how this could be achieved. Or is this too "palerail" for some people?

i think if they dont reopen this line themselfs they should offer it to a private company who will want to run a service and do a good job of it.

as for the question of the two stations in athlone you could run a suttle bus from one to the other.

jjbrien wrote:
    i think if they dont reopen this line themselfs they should offer it to a private company who will want to run a service and do a good job of it.

as for the question of the two stations in athlone you could run a suttle bus from one to the other.

You'd be quicker walking the tracks as the town bridge is a traffic nightmare.

Hmm..

Maybe we could run a travelator.

I know one poster on this form who would be very happy to have a travolator.

I do personally think this line could be used by the goverment to see if a private company could compete with IE. I know what IE will do if they would get some of the caravans carrages and an old engine in the 070 ranges. then pat themselfs on the back for a job well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Ah, leave the old Cravens out of it, they deserve a good retirement. :)

Way back when, the MGWR and GSWR would have run the two stations in the town so there is a precedent set, albeit 100 years ago. From what I remember, the issues with the MGWR station included the location being far from the central town, no goods room in the old station and no real plans to use the Mullingar line, partly due to capacity in the Northern region. There was also an issue whereby if the Shannoon bridge was for some reason to be rendered unsafe, the town effectively was closed to rail traffic (This was back in the days when Galway and Westport were under closure threats) so for stragegic purposes the station had to be moved.

I wonder would a way out of it would be for a bay platform to be built as the junction is just to the west of the station now. It may be a little dearer to build but you have just one building to run so admin wise, it could be simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Close down Woodlawn and Attymon

what did they ever do to you, they both get thier share of patrons.

While they might not justify a full InterCity service, an interesting option would be an Athlone-Galway Regional Rail serice which covered all stops (including a re-open Oranmore), and have the Full InterCity run non-stop.

When Galway eventually gets an hourly (or bi-hourly) InterCity service, the "Regional service" could leave 40 minutes before, stop at all the stops, providing both a regional service for those whom want to travel within the Galway-Athlone corridor, and provide a feeder service for the InterCity trains.

what did they ever do to you, they both get thier share of patrons.

I was down there on an assignment a few weeks back and I went to both stations to see what the passengers numbers were like, and at Attymon not one person got on or off a single train heading to either Dublin or Galway both days I was there. Trains stopping, no humans, only the cows in the fields nearby going "moooo". Woodlawn was a handful of passengers -mostly going to Dublin. Certainly way less passengers than a comparable station on the Sligo line such as Dromod.

I went with an open mind and found two barely used stations and Inter-City trains stopping at them when they could just as easily go through them and save time. I also went to Oranmore and saw this very large town with a commuting population into Galway, no cows going "mooo" and trains flying right through it as if it did not exsist! Only in Ireland...

It's not just Woodlawn and Attymon. One of the major reasons our inter-city train journies are slow in Ireland is trains stopping at every pissant station along the way on most routes. There are plenty of stations on the network which could be closed and nobody (I am talking rail users here) would miss them. I would also like to see more seperation between express and local trains, but alas the CIE mentality...

Reopening the Athlone-Mullingar line presents a tremendous amount of flexiblity into the national rail netork which could allow for an express and local services to Galway from Dublin using both east-west routes.

I believe that years ago CIE stated they were to close Woodlawn and some local headbanger chained himself to the level crossing gates to protest and held up all services on the Dublin-Galway line...and the muppet got his way.:rolleyes: This again brings us back to railways being opened for political gain. It nearly always ends in a bad situation for the rail network. Greystones and Monestervin being prime examples of the failure when a crass political decision is applied to rail.

Intercity rail is shagged in this country if the rail network cannot offer useful travel options and higher speeds than the bus/private car. When people want to go from Dublin to Galway, they do not want the train to stop at Attymon because "there once was a junction there in olden days." It's got to be a "wham-bam and do the business" rail network going forward or else inter-city rail is dead in Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Occidental wrote:
    Maybe we could run a travelator.

Down with that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Athlone Town Plan

3.5.2.2.1 Coach & Rail
    • To promote the use of, and encourage improvements to public transport services and support initiatives designed to improve bus/coach-rail interchange facilities.
    • To safeguard all existing rail infrastructure and to promote the re-opening of the Mullingar – Athlone line and Moate rail station for commuting and leisure purposes.
    • To accommodate bus/coach facilities to minimise the adverse effects of commuter and other coach services upon traffic and pedestrian movement and the environment.
    • To promote bus/coach priority schemes and other traffic management measures where appropriate.
    • To promote the use of public transport.
    • To promote an integrated public transportation network for Athlone.
    • To promote the use of public transport and an integrated public transport network based on a spatially orientated development approach so as to assist in the reduction of the reliance on the private car.

map of Athlone West station
    http://www.athlonechamber.ie/home/map/centremap/3.jpg

Athlone Shannon bridge (top left) and East station (top right)
    http://www.athlonechamber.ie/home/map/centremap/7.jpg

Custume Barracks occupies a large chunk of land south of the West station but given that it's a 400+ year old structure there are historical reasons why redevelopment might run into opposition.

Attymon and Woodlawn are never going to grow while the N6 runs south to Loughrea and they are stuck with a R road let alone an N secondary road. If the NRA upgraded the R road between Ballinasloe and Athenry to 2+1 you would probably get a commuter belt explosion in Woodlawn and Attymon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If you use the DTO journey planner you can get very clear aerial images of all of Athlone folks.

Anyway, you could run IC DMUs from Galway to Spencer Dock, stopping at Drumcondra providing 1 change access to Dublin Airport, oh wait-they could do that using the Phoenix Park Tunnel, oh wait, Spencer Dock station will be built over with thousands of apartments by the time CIE do anything remotely linked to providing better public transport. What a useless shower.

Hamndegger wrote:
    I wonder would a way out of it would be for a bay platform to be built as the junction is just to the west of the station now. It may be a little dearer to build but you have just one building to run so admin wise, it could be simpler.

The maps don't really show the full picture. The land falls away and rises quite quickly in parts. This coupled with existing roads, bridges and houses would make it very difficult, if not impossible.

Mark,

The barracks were on the block in the last few rounds of Army cutbacks and most people reckon it's just a matter of time before either Athlone or Mullingar goes.

I'd see a redevelopment similar to Ballincollig, where the main buildings are kept. The site is a few minutes walk from the town centre and right on the Shannon, so it's prime luxury apartment territory. Value wise, I'm sure it's worth much more than Mullingar, though neither would be cheap.

thanks for the local colour Occidental :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Occidental wrote:
    The maps don't really show the full picture. The land falls away and rises quite quickly in parts. This coupled with existing roads, bridges and houses would make it very difficult, if not impossible.

I know the site isn't well spotted on the two maps shown, but the MGWR and GSWR meet about 100 yards to the westerly tip of the current station, so they would be on the same gradient, or as slight as would make feck all difference.

What I would suggest is for a single platform on the MGWR line that would be reached from the bay platform by either a walkway or a bridge. It may be a tad pricy, but more practical than two station, and connections would be handy.

Alternatively, if the MGWR is just intended as a local service, then maybe reverse into the station and into one of the platforms already could be a cheaper option? (Union pending, of course)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement