Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair no-frills Terminal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tonc76 wrote:
    When I said "Imaginative design and the implementation of it generally costs €€€€" I meant architects tend to try come up with innovative ideas to leave their mark on a project which tends to cost €€€€
    There is a big difference between being imaginative and the "re-inventing the wheel" that many Irish architect do.
    Davidth88 wrote:
    T2 at Dublin to my mind is being built in the wrong place , arn't they knocking down half the new(ish ) C gates to fit it in ?
    Pier C was the mistake, not T2. Who builds a pier which can only have gates on one side. Note that T2 is about 20 times the size of Pier C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Pier C was the mistake, not T2. Who builds a pier which can only have gates on one side. Note that T2 is about 20 times the size of Pier C.

That makes sense Victor .

However I still wonder if it's in the wrong place , its terribly crowded around there and means all the traffic will still be coming off the M50 M1 interchange which is a mess already , but thats a debate for another thread . :)

I heard on the radio ( Newstalk ) this morning that MOL's jolly to Hahn was not a great success and had backfired , they didn't say why any ideas ?

Has anyone flown to ' Paris ' with FR ? The terminal there is a tent not even a shed ( unless its been rebuilt ).

What you ( Victor ) was saying about the airport not being laid out right is correct
    Dublin has been added to on an ad-hoc basis, hey they even stuck the maintainence hangars next to the terminals. Properly laid out, an airport would have enough space for contemplated growth, based on 50 year projections,

But think about it, even in the wildest imaginations did people think that the millions of people would be using DUB now , after all look at the old terminal, its a pretty building and must have worked perfectly back in the 50s/60s with Viscounts and Heralds etc , where the largest aircraft carried 100-120 people.

In fact look at LHR , who in their right mind would ever build the terminals in the centre of the airport like that now ?

In Utopia, I am sure all airports would have room to expand , remember Denver is the centre of a huge plain , and has tons of space .

I am confused why ORK have only built 2 airbridges , I know FR and other low-cost don't like to use them because they preclude the use of the rear steps and slow the turnaround down, but really ...... some imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

That is why we have people called 'managers' and 'cost accountants'. QUOTE]
    Calina wrote:
    Imaginative design doesn't have to cost €€€€ if it's managed correctly. To imply otherwise is a cop out and we're damn good at it in this country.
    Victor wrote:
    There is a big difference between being imaginative and the "re-inventing the wheel" that many Irish architect do.

Do you think this whole plan was drawn on the back of a box of fags? These plans have been ongoing behind the scenes for years. There are 3 of industry's biggest hitters involved in this project. DAA are not just talking about fitting out a hangar ala MOL, but a complete infastructure package to serve what will be an international airport in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭GusherING

Has anyone been to Schipol (sp?) airport in Amsterdam. Now thats slick architecturally, efficient to get round and well designed with great infrastructure links. Its what we should be aiming for. I'm sure the landing fees are high enough but if thats what you get for it, I'm all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

While I can appreciate that Dublin should have an impressive airport, people should get a choice. One can draw an easy comparison with the expensive air travel from pre-ryanair days. Who wants to pay €400 for a flight to the UK now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Build the Outer Ring Road and stick a new Dublin Airport out there on a patch of new land, somewhere near the M4. How does that sound? Not too far out and easier to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Build the Outer Ring Road and stick a new Dublin Airport out there on a patch of new land, somewhere near the M4. How does that sound? Not too far out and easier to get to.

Like a waste of money :-)

You're forgetting there's more to an airport than just a handful of planes and passengers. What about all the ancillary services and logistics companies that need to be based nearby? Moving airport would be a huge, totally unwarranted job. Splitting the airport into two wouldn't achieve anything.

Also, the majority of flights going to/from the airport pass over sea rather than residential areas. If a new airport was to be built inland, all the NIMBYs would come out in force to object to the extra traffic, the extra noise, the pollution, yada. Rule #1 in Ireland: If you build it, they'll object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

#Elites wrote:
    haha that made me laugh:D

you: single ticket to Newyork please

pilot: thats 10€ sir.

:D

you:I've only got a €20

pilot:Exact fare only. Here's a change ticket. You can only redeem it in person in our downtown Baghdad office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Hopefully they will join the integrated ticketing system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Victor wrote:

A better look at Denver (Space for 12 runways!):

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/denver/

I think Munich is the best example of best practice in airport design. Sadly the ad hoc current designs for Dublin Airport are making the same mistakes as before. Eventhough a masterplan was conducted in the last 5 years it flies against the face of the international norm of airport design.

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/munich/

Here is a list of recent presentations from a conference I attended regarding airport design:

http://www.fdb.ie/TSAD_Airport_Conference.aspx

The Munich presentation is particularly impressive.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Planning should never take that long. Delays in planning/red tape can lead to the finished product being out of date by the time it is built. Luas is a prime example of that, goal posts being moved and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Munich really cant be judged vs. Dublin. Dublin was built and is now being expanded. Munich was built far out from Munich but they had to demolish an entire town to build it.

That said, better things could be done with Dublin. Close the current airport and open a nice new one midway between the N4 and N7 interchanges on the proposed Outer Ring Road.

Munich really cant be judged vs. Dublin. Dublin was built and is now being expanded. Munich was built far out from Munich but they had to demolish an entire town to build it.

I think Munich is a very comparible. The major difference between the two was that since development of the site was needed Dublin has not had any sort of coherent masterplan.

That said, better things could be done with Dublin. Close the current airport and open a nice new one midway between the N4 and N7 interchanges on the proposed Outer Ring Road.

Thats a terrible attitude to have, the whole Dublin airport campus is very underdeveloped apart from the 'horseshoe'. Look at the Ulich McEvaddy presentation on the above link.

DublinAirport-Map.jpg

Consultants have recently stated that the only other location nearest Dublin that could be used for a new airport capable of handling the future numbers would have to be at Portlaoise. Fly paths over the city centre are not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gloryboys

Well I called it the R.A.T the Ryan Air Terminal - having elderly people land there and expect them to be subjected to that walk is crazy!! Just back from Copenhagen airport - what luxury! The Screens above the baggage belt tell you how long you will await you luggage! Plus there is the train station just about in the airport whisking you to town in 20 mins! Thats the kind of investment that is needed! In Dublin you cannot even cross the street in safety cos there is a paucity of pedestrian crossings - suppose we sould start there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Can't compare Hahn to Dublin - Hahn was an ex military base and out in the sticks - Baldonnel is the better comparison to Hahn (hint). Does MOL's terminal estimate include the cost of reworking the airport roads to accommodate his terminal or does someone else have to pay?

So you can't build a new terminal to replace two old ones in an existing airport space with a
    • an infield pier including sub-runway tunnel
    • a new multistory car park
    • a cablecar to the long term car park
    • new approach roads
    • new air cargo facilities
    • a 35-40million ultimate capacity in the new Terminal 1
    • a 55 million ultimate capacity when Terminal 3 is redeveloped?
    • an additional runway to add to an existing four.
    Someone should have told the Greater Toronto Airport Authority it couldn't be done before they, uh, built it. It's costing squillions (about 3 billion Euro) and there are negatives (the cablecar should have been light rail and should have included links to nearby rail - there is no metro stop at an airport which handled 30.9 million passengers and half a billion tonnes of air cargo in 2006) but the new Terminal 1 itself is exactly what Dublin needed and isn't getting - a modular structure with a defined plan for the future in the context of a non-profit airport authority.

Toronto Pearson looks like an extremely constained site. Dublin is very lucky in comparison.

Major difference between the two would be the masterplan that Toronto devised, applied and stuck to (for the most part).

Is the DAA non profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Captain Boycott

BendiBus wrote:
    you:I've only got a €20

pilot:Exact fare only. Here's a change ticket. You can only redeem it in person in our downtown Baghdad office.

Don't laugh though. I remember the old BA shuttle between Belfast and LHR. You bought your ticket on board (from a hostie)! I was only a kid mind you, so I'm not sure how you got on board in the first place without paying! My Dad looked after such minor details.

Advertisement