Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting current plans for house

Options
  • 07-08-2020 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We are looking to renovate and possibly extend a house we are currently living in that belongs to my wifes family. It was built approx 13 years ago.

How do i go about finding the current architetural blueprints of the house?

I have contacted the architect but yet to recieve anything back, is there any otherplace i should be looking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

dazzday wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

We are looking to renovate and possibly extend a house we are currently living in that belongs to my wifes family. It was built approx 13 years ago.

How do i go about finding the current architetural blueprints of the house?

I have contacted the architect but yet to recieve anything back, is there any otherplace i should be looking?
    Have you checked the local council planning list online??

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Ah good stuff - found it.

For anyone looking - this is the galway version:

http://www.galway.ie/en/services/planning/onlineplanningsystems/

Use the map to find your house, and then it will give you the planning permission number. Then search this number in the planning document database

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dazzday wrote: »
    Ah good stuff - found it.

For anyone looking - this is the galway version:

http://www.galway.ie/en/services/planning/onlineplanningsystems/

Use the map to find your house, and then it will give you the planning permission number. Then search this number in the planning document database

Worth noting that planning drawings are not blueprints (American term) and not construction drawings.

So don’t go removing walls or anything based on them just because the planning drawings don’t mark them as structural etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Gumbo wrote: »
    Worth noting that planning drawings are not blueprints (American term) and not construction drawings.

So don’t go removing walls or anything based on them just because the planning drawings don’t mark them as structural etc
    That is not actually true. Blueprints are just a copy of plans coming from the printing technique used before electronic plans and when hand drawn plans were used. They are literally blue from the technique of printing and smell of ammonia.

They are not different plans to structural plans. Otherwise people would have to draw different plans by hand which would be a waste of time.

When applying for planning permission you only have to file part of the plans showing the elevations. As they did away with building bye law approval stages of applying for planning. So in truth a blueprint is the superior illustration as it contains all details. The term is continued to be used even though the printing method has changed and no longer actually blue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

What you really need is a measured survey of the existing house. A building surveyor, arch / arch tech etc will measure and draw CAD plans of the house.

Printing scanned drawings from the council website will not be to scale. Also these are planning drawings not construction drawings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

As Gumbo mentioned 'blueprints' is not a term used in Ireland

Doop wrote: »
    As Gumbo mentioned 'blueprints' is not a term used in Ireland

As I explained it certainly is. I have literally been on a building site in Ireland holding blueprints telling a foreman they didn't follow it. Colloquial use in common language maybe different but they are blueprints when not the original drawings.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is not actually true. Blueprints are just a copy of plans coming from the printing technique used before electronic plans and when hand drawn plans were used. They are literally blue from the technique of printing and smell of ammonia.

They are not different plans to structural plans. Otherwise people would have to draw different plans by hand which would be a waste of time.

When applying for planning permission you only have to file part of the plans showing the elevations. As they did away with building bye law approval stages of applying for planning. So in truth a blueprint is the superior illustration as it contains all details. The term is continued to be used even though the printing method has changed and no longer actually blue

“This is not actually true” then you go on to type what I said exactly.
    Blueprints is not a term used in Ireland. I haven’t heard the term being used in my 20 years working in the construction industry, engineering profession and local authority settings. And I spent most of my working life and still to this day prepare planning drawings and construction drawings.

And I can 100% assure you, Planning drawings are not just a stripped down version of construction drawings.

As I explained it certainly is. I have literally been on a building site in Ireland holding blueprints telling a foreman they didn't follow it. Colloquial use in common language maybe different but they are blueprints when not the original drawings.

Nobody is arguing the terms here.
    I have never heard of a person, PM, CM or any site foreman in Ireland call them blueprints.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Nobody is arguing the terms here.
    I have never heard of a person, PM, CM or any site foreman in Ireland call them blueprints.

I am older than you and when I worked as a civil engineer I can assure you they were blueprints as they were literally blue. I did not describe the same as you. Older people still call them blueprints and commonly used in conversations.

Up until at least 1995 prints of plans were blue. There was no other affordable way to print them. Back when I drew in ink and used a razer blade to fix mistakes. Amazing somebody with 20 years experience has never seen a blueprint. Ever seen handdrawn plans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Do not trust plans or compliance certs for one-off houses and especially for extensions if you're planning major structural changes, get a measured survey done as mentioned above.

I'm sure it's a minority of cases but builders and clients sometimes take short cuts to save money and when the building is complete it's very hard to spot where a short cut has been taken. For example, if you plan to build an extra floor on an extension, especially on a garage conversion, then get the foundations checked to make sure they are compliant.

I am older than you and when I worked as a civil engineer I can assure you they were blueprints as they were literally blue. I did not describe the same as you. Older people still call them blueprints and commonly used in conversations.

Up until at least 1995 prints of plans were blue. There was no other affordable way to print them. Back when I drew in ink and used a razer blade to fix mistakes. Amazing somebody with 20 years experience has never seen a blueprint. Ever seen handdrawn plans?

I started my studies with HB pencils and rulers.
    Autocad R13 I think wa so my breaking into the market.

My point being, that the term blueprints is not used in Ireland by any modern worker.

And the point of the posts was to the OP that they shouldn’t blindly take Planning drawings from the LA site and assume construction elements are gospel. That I can assure you is not the done thing.

Advertisement