Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading iMac from HDD to SSD

Options
  • 24-06-2020 10:13am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have a late 2013 27" iMac with 1tb HDD and 24gb RAM. I was toying with the idea of getting a new iMac and with Big Sur not running on my iMac it was something I was considering. But on reflection, its an unnecessary upgrade seeing as my iMac still works great with what I need it for. (I have a MacBook Air too anyway from 2018)

So instead I would like to upgrade from a HDD to a 2TB SSD. I've read a few things online about it which says it can be done but takes time. Some sites say you need some expertise. So Im unsure what to do it.

I can pick up a 2TB SSD from Crucial for less than €300. Alternatively one of my local (and trusted) computer stores will do it all for around €400. (although not sure what brand of SSD they use)

Has anyone done it? Any advice? Is there a kit I can get for removing parts?

Or should I leave it in with the store?

Cheers!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I am in the same boat and I need to replace the Fusion Drive with an SSD.
    From research I can see companies like the below over the service but I would like a recommendation if anyone has used these companies.

https://imacrepair.ie/apple-imac-ssd-upgrades-dublin.php
    https://www.right-click.ie/imac-ssd-upgrade
    https://www.mactivate.ie/
    https://www.expresstech.ie/collections/mac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I bought the full kit from iFixit about 6 months ago and despite being quite happy to take things apart and for the most part putting them back together still working I procrastinated over it. In the end the whole process took less than an hour and most of that was putting on the new sticky pads for the screen to stick back on.

I needn't have worried though, it's a very easy job to do ! Everything is in the kit including the pizza cutter tool, the temperature sensor and the cables required to fit the drive. Even the screws drivers and the foam block to hold the screen in a tilted position while you work on it.

Follow the guide and you won't go wrong.

Linky

Ken

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I am in the same boat and I need to replace the Fusion Drive with an SSD.
    From research I can see companies like the below over the service but I would like a recommendation if anyone has used these companies.

https://imacrepair.ie/apple-imac-ssd-upgrades-dublin.php
    https://www.right-click.ie/imac-ssd-upgrade
    https://www.mactivate.ie/
    https://www.expresstech.ie/collections/mac

Mactivate is the only Apple certified repair centre, but they are flat out. The price is really competitive, even compared to the DIY kit that Zener linked. There's only about €10 in the difference. I', tempted to go for the 500GB kit from iFixit. I'll see what Mactivate come back with tomorrow. If they could do it this week I'd give it to them. They offer a nationwide free pickup too.

Yes I would not do it myself will use Mactivate to get it done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Advertisement

Delivered in 2 days, less than an hour to fit. Very good video on YouTube brings you through the whole process.

If anyone wants it, I have the fitting kit, including a complete set of adhesive pads to fit the screen back on. Just cover the postage, all you need to buy is the SSD.

whiterebel wrote: »
    If anyone wants it, I have the fitting kit, including a complete set of adhesive pads to fit the screen back on. Just cover the postage, all you need to buy is the SSD.

If it would work on a 27inch iMac I would be very grateful of it please.
    Of course happy to collect or pay the postage whatever is easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If it would work on a 27inch iMac I would be very grateful of it please.
    Of course happy to collect or pay the postage whatever is easier.

Damn you beat me to it. Any chance I could do the same when you’re done?

faceman wrote: »
    Damn you beat me to it. Any chance I could do the same when you’re done?

Sure, of course, no problem at all happy to pass it on when I am done.

• Advertisement

It won’t do the 27 inch iMac, only 21.5 inch. Tools would be ok, but not the adhesive strips. Forgot to say the screwdriver they supplied is too small, as well. You need a hex 10.

It won’t do the 27 inch iMac, only 21.5 inch. Tools would be ok, but not the adhesive strips. Forgot to say the screwdriver they supplied is too small, as well. You need a hex 10.

Did you get the kit from iFixit by any chance ? My kit came with 2 hex heads in the base of the driver and one fitted the HDD screws and the speaker retainers in my 27" 2015 model ?

Ken

No problem offer it to someone with the 21.5 inch screen I am sure it will get a good home. Again thanks for the offer.

ZENER wrote: »
    Did you get the kit from iFixit by any chance ? My kit came with 2 hex heads in the base of the driver and one fitted the HDD screws and the speaker retainers in my 27" 2015 model ?

Ken

No, I got an OWC Kit from Flexx in the North. Was £214 plus it has an enclosure for the old HDD. Just an ordinary screwdriver in the package, but the head was a size too small.

No, I got an OWC Kit from Flexx in the North. Was £214 plus it has an enclosure for the old HDD. Just an ordinary screwdriver in the package, but the head was a size too small.

214 ? That included a SSD ?

Ken

214 ? That included a SSD ?

Ken

Sterling pounds, OWC 1TB SDD and an enclosure. Couldn't bate it.

Dropped my 27inch into Mactivate today can collect tomorrow with new 1tb SSD installed and all data transfered.
    Looking forward to the speed bump and saves the hassle of doing it myself and also the added benefit they are an Apple Certified Repair centre.

How much will that cost ?

How much will that cost ?

€370

Well collected the iMac yesterday exactly at the time they said it would be ready. Everything transferred over and working perfectly.
    The speed difference is crazy it was so worth the money and will tide me over until they release a new iMac 27inch or bigger.

• Advertisement

In case anyone is still on the fence two weeks in now with the new SSD and it really is like having a new machine it is flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

In case anyone is still on the fence two weeks in now with the new SSD and it really is like having a new machine it is flying.

cool

I got a quote from them and wasn't sure fi it was worth doing it, but it seems it is.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

cool

I got a quote from them and wasn't sure fi it was worth doing it, but it seems it is.

Massive difference vs the HDD. Like night and day.

cool

It is so worth the money and Mactivate did a fantastic job on my late 2014 5K iMac. It really is like night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Piggybacking on this thread.

Thinking of doing the same thing, but rather than get the physical drive changed, getting an external & booting form that. Don't have any downtime for the Mac as it's currently being used WFH.

Anyone know if it's possible to get an external thunderbolt SSD?

Might actually get some use out of those port :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to get an external thunderbolt SSD?

Might actually get some use out of those port :D

Yup.

Been running my iMac 27" off an external drive for about 2 years now.

A 512GB Transcend StoreJet 500 for Mac Portable SSD with Thunderbolt. Got it from MemoryC in Celbridge.

Graham wrote: »
    Yup.

Been running my iMac 27" off an external drive for about 2 years now.

A 512GB Transcend StoreJet 500 for Mac Portable SSD with Thunderbolt. Got it from MemoryC in Celbridge.

Do you use the internal HDD for storage & just boot off the external? Do you have the same speed advantages?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I use the external SSD for everything.

It was originally intended as a stop-gap while I decided on a new machine but it goes like the clappers with the SSD so I didn't bother with a new iMac.

I regularly switch between my 2012 iMac 27 with the external SSD and a MBP 2.6 GHz Quad-Core i7 and I honestly can't tell the difference in terms of speed. I guess you'd notice if you were encoding video or something similarly heavy.

Quick update. Ordered an SSD and enclosure from amazon, had to change the enclosure for a powered one.

Went from 6 min 27 second boot (from chime) to 73 second boot.

Everything is noticing faster.

I cloned the original hard drive to the SSD.

I had put in a flat OS X install and the boot time was just 46 seconds, but I didn’t want to have to reinstall everything so used CCC to clone. Seconds added saved install time.

Extremely happy with upgrade. Only regret is I didn’t get a 2TB SSD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Mine is with Mactivate now..

Cant wait to have the 1TB SSD

Mine is as slow as bejaysus

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement