Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional licence renewals?

• 13-06-2021 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Does anyone know what the story is with renewing provisional licences?

Before the first lockdown I was on my second provisional licence but I hadn’t had lessons for about a year. Obviously with the pandemic the licence experienced and I haven’t had driving lessons for about 3 years now. If I want to renew the provisional licence do I now have to apply for the driving test that I would in no way be ready for or is it possible to redo the theory test and start from scratch does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Olaf52

Anyone? I’ve tried asking on their website but get no clear answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,515 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

to apply for a third learner permit you need to either have sat and failed a driving test or have evidence of applying for a test or an upcoming test date.

to apply for a third learner permit you need to either have sat and failed a driving test or have evidence of applying for a test or an upcoming test date.

Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of. Guess I’ll never be driving then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I've failed the test a few times, and have to renew my provisional for a third time. How do I prove I've failed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,515 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've failed the test a few times, and have to renew my provisional for a third time. How do I prove I've failed it?

do you not get a sheet at the end?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Olaf52 wrote: »

Can you apply for a test 6/7 months away and then apply for a new permit and include copy of test application?

F1ngers wrote: »
    Can you apply for a test 6/7 months away and then apply for a new permit and include copy of test application?

6/7 months wouldn’t be enough learning time. I haven’t had lessons for 4 years and had been taking lessons for 2 years previously but was told I wasn’t anywhere near test ready as I have nobody to help me practice between lessons (as in no licences driver available to come out driving with me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Just because you have a test booked doesn't mean you have to take it, you can cancel and reschedule a test twice without having to pay again, you could get 2 years out of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Does anyone know what the story is with renewing provisional licences?

Before the first lockdown I was on my second provisional licence but I hadn’t had lessons for about a year. Obviously with the pandemic the licence experienced and I haven’t had driving lessons for about 3 years now. If I want to renew the provisional licence do I now have to apply for the driving test that I would in no way be ready for or is it possible to redo the theory test and start from scratch does anyone know?

Hi OP

Yes it's possible I'm on my 4th provisional due to various reasons, almost ready for my test now. The info online is shocking, so here you are.

You have to show proof that you've booked your test but you won't even go into the (very very long queue) until you have your 12 EDT lessons logged, even at that it could take years. I booked mine in 2019 and because it's on the NDLS' system they are able to issue me with a new one if I need it. I'm going to paste the info I sent to my friend lately who had the same question as you, it is long-winded!!

ere's the details for renewing your license. Book an appointment here with the NDLS first of all https://www.ndls.ie/booking-service/appointment.html in the meantime, book the drivers test. It won't actually book until you have the 12 EDT lessons done. https://myroadsafety.rsa.ie/home/login

You must book an appointment to attend an NDLS centre. You will need to bring the required forms, ID, and fee (35 euro I think). Your photograph and signature will be captured electronically at the NDLS centre.

To apply in person at an NDLS centre you will need the following:

A completed and signed learner permit application form.
    Your current or most recent learner permit. If your permit has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must also bring valid photo ID with you.
    Proof of your personal public services number (PPSN).
    Proof of your address dated within the last six months is required if your current address is not recorded on your permit and it differs from that provided to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) if and when you applied for a PSC.

If applying for a third or subsequent learner permit, you must provide evidence of having taken and failed a driving test in the previous two years or provide evidence of having applied for a driving test or having a forthcoming test date.
    Your application fee of €35.00. You can pay by credit or debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay. If you are 70 years and over you are exempt from paying the fee.

And finally this is the form that you need to print and complete https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/LearnerPermits/D201_Learner_Permit_app_form.pdf

If you have any queries just let me know

Good luck!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

6/7 months wouldn’t be enough learning time. I haven’t had lessons for 4 years and had been taking lessons for 2 years previously but was told I wasn’t anywhere near test ready as I have nobody to help me practice between lessons (as in no licences driver available to come out driving with me)
    Just because you have a test booked doesn't mean you have to take it, you can cancel and reschedule a test twice without having to pay again, you could get 2 years out of that...

This is what I was implying.
    Use your booking confirmation to get a new permit.

Once you have a test booked, they should give you a new permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

If your second provisional expires by 5 years you have to start again from scratch and do the theory test again. You don't have to have had a driving test booked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭jos22

annoying thing about a renewal is that is valid for only 1 year, if you sit the test and fail, the failure cert allow you to renew the permit and have it valid for 2 years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭jos22

If your second provisional expires by 5 years you have to start again from scratch and do the theory test again. You don't have to have had a driving test booked

you do need to have a test booked
    If applying for a third or subsequent learner permit, you must provide evidence of having taken and failed a driving test in the previous two years or provide evidence of having applied for a driving test or having a forthcoming test date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

jos22 wrote: »
    you do need to have a test booked
    If applying for a third or subsequent learner permit, you must provide evidence of having taken and failed a driving test in the previous two years or provide evidence of having applied for a driving test or having a forthcoming test date

Well I got a third provisional last year without having had a test booked. My second provisional was expired just over 5 years, maybe that's why I didn't

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yep, if your learner permit (not been called provisional for a long while) has been expired over 5 years, you are treated as a first permit holder, and start again from scratch- having to sit your theory test, then do your EDT lessons etc. To get a first permit, you obviously don't need to have a test booked. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just been checking online to book a theory test. Online theory test are all booked up and test centre tests (at least in Dublin) are booked until September

Whoa. High demand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

For anyone who is failing tests or finds it difficult, just go and learn in an automatic. Automatics will soon make up the majority of the card fleet - they are more economical and far more dependable. All electric cars are automatic

Its as simple as point and go.

It means you are not thinking of gears and can simply concentrate on all other aspects of driving.

If you then want to go for manual, do that at a later date. But go auto, get the licence and get your insurance costs down and be able to drive yourself without having to have someone with you.

Advertisement