Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of breeds by temprament

Options
  • 08-06-2021 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Where could I find a list of sheep breeds in ireland with temprament and hardiness information?

e.g. breeds which are tree friendly, which breeds require less dosing etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭White Clover

n1st wrote: »
    Where could I find a list of sheep breeds in ireland with temprament and hardiness information?

e.g. breeds which are tree friendly, which breeds require less dosing etc

I cant answer your question directly but in my experience, most of what you're asking can be controlled through good management.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I cant answer your question directly but in my experience, most of what you're asking can be controlled through good management.

Very true re management.. last year I sold 10 very quiet hoggets to a neighbour..he had seen them 3 times before taking them and asked all their histories..vaccines..do they go on their back..do they break...anyway he eventually made the leap and took them home ..I met him a week after and said they were mad and he couldn't get them in.. I had told him they would follow a bucket to Dublin..he said he usually rounds up his with an umbrella!!! He reckons if you get behind them and open and close it whilst shouting that they run away from you in desired direction.... my poor hoggets must have been traumatised. Apologies for the essay but I found it funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Very true re management.. last year I sold 10 very quiet hoggets to a neighbour..he had seen them 3 times before taking them and asked all their histories..vaccines..do they go on their back..do they break...anyway he eventually made the leap and took them home ..I met him a week after and said they were mad and he couldn't get them in.. I had told him they would follow a bucket to Dublin..he said he usually rounds up his with an umbrella!!! He reckons if you get behind them and open and close it whilst shouting that they run away from you in desired direction.... my poor hoggets must have been traumatised. Apologies for the essay but I found it funny

That sounds like a scene from the latest carry on film - Carry on Farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

That sounds like a scene from the latest carry on film - Carry on Farming.

I Thought the latest was CARRIE on Prime Minister.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    I Thought the latest was CARRIE on Prime Minister.......:rolleyes:

Could be a scene in the same film if it's a Borris (hogget) being chased with the umbrella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

charrollais have a horrible temprement, brutal mothers , mad feckers too even as lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I wpuld say sheep will be as wild or as quiet as you let them be within reason. I find if your only looking over the gate at them they will be stone mad but if you walk through them daily they quieten right down. I put mine through the crush every week or so even if i dont need to do anything to them other than take a look. The bucket of meal is great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Shropshire are renowned as being tree friendly. However, you still need to keep an eye on them as it is possible that there will be the odd rogue one which will attack the trees.

Less dosing - that would primarily be related grass management and how long they ae left in same pastures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Charolais and the beloved south Carlo/Wicklow Cheviot are cracked hoors of sheep breeds.

Wouldn’t have a lot of experience with hill breeds horns etc but any that I’ve had were hoors to stray but a plus is that they stray individually, not flock together and go through gaps like horses in the grand national on Beecher brook like my lowland ewes do during wet winter weather.

A few rouge sheep I had were quiet I thought.

suffolks,texels,Dorset’s,vendeen,belclare,zwarble all the most docile IMO.

Advertisement