Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BE trailer test and own trailer

• 27-05-2021 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done the BE test recently using their own horsebox? If so, did you need to put concrete blocks into it?

According to the RSA's final checks booklet, it has the following
    Car with trailer
    (category BE) tests
    It is important you meet the following requirements, as well as those in your booking notification and the general checklist above.
    Weight and total mass requirements
    Your vehicle must meet the minimum real total mass requirements, i.e. real total mass is the weight of a vehicle including the load, if any, which is on it.
    The trailer must be presented for the test with a real total mass of at least 800 kg, having due regard for safety, stability, manufacturer’s guidelines and legal
    limits of the combination.

In order to meet the real total mass requirement, irrespective of the unladen weight of the trailer, you are required to place 30 four-inch (100 x 220 x 450 mm) solid concrete building blocks in the trailer. If it is accepted that a trailer will weigh a minimum of 250 kg on its own, the 30 blocks (each weighing approximately 19-20 kg) will weigh an additional 570 kg, which together will exceed the minimum real total mass requirement of 800 kg at 820 kg.

On the one hand it is saying the real total mass of the trailer must be 800kg. But then it also says to have 30 blocks irrespective of the unladen weight of the trailer :confused:

My horsebox is over 1000kg unladen so I would have assumed this did not require the 30 blocks in it as it is already over the 800kg real total mass.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

"irrespective of the unladen weight of the trailer you are required to place 30 concrete blocks in the trailer".
    I'd say it's very clear what needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    "irrespective of the unladen weight of the trailer you are required to place 30 concrete blocks in the trailer".
    I'd say it's very clear what needs to be done.

You'd think, but the example they give it includes the weight of the trailer in the calculation of the total mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's to avoid any doubt.
    Your Horsebox might weigh only 750kg, but be plated at 1,000 kg.
    Not saying that's the case in your situation, simply that the RSA have decided that one way to be sure that a Trailer conforms to the regulations is to have an easily definitive weight within the Trailer.

Advertisement