Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Creeping forward in slow moving traffic

Options
  • 25-05-2021 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Right so I can do the peep and creep thing at junctions. Because eventually you get to rocket off but it traffic its a constant stop/start type thing

Junctions, I do so using clutch and break which to me is a subconscious thing because break for safety in case anything comes from either side and clutch obviously to get moving

But in slow moving traffic, is there actually a correct method??
    I go with first gear and use just clutch to move and stop. Foot is never too far away from break but the clutch is doing the work.

Am I right or wrong here?? And same for for gears, do i need to go up maybe to 2nd in a standard slow moving traffic situation.

For some reason this aspect to learning how to drive leaves me always thinking after did i do this right even though I may never have looked to be in any danger to myself or anyone else

Gone through videos. Some say use acceleration. I dont

Comments

Right so I can do the peep and creep thing at junctions. Because eventually you get to rocket off but it traffic its a constant stop/start type thing

Junctions, I do so using clutch and break which to me is a subconscious thing because break for safety in case anything comes from either side and clutch obviously to get moving

But in slow moving traffic, is there actually a correct method??
    I go with first gear and use just clutch to move and stop. Foot is never too far away from break but the clutch is doing the work.

Am I right or wrong here?? And same for for gears, do i need to go up maybe to 2nd in a standard slow moving traffic situation.

For some reason this aspect to learning how to drive leaves me always thinking after did i do this right even though I may never have looked to be in any danger to myself or anyone else

Gone through videos. Some say use acceleration. I dont

Your query is very common...... and it's great that you're analysing/ dwelling on this very important aspect of your driving.

Let me reply by breaking down your post paragraph by paragraph.

1. Perfect!, though the use of the term 'rocket off' isn't appropriate for test purposes....rephrase that.

2.perfect....you have that.

3. There is a CORRECT method & you HAVE it, clutch is the workhorse, right foot "riding" the brake.

4. You're RIGHT. Now, as regards upgearing to 2nd or 3rd this is hard to answer.... basically it's a case of how 'fast' is the 'slow' moving traffic.....like if it's an absolute crawl, bumper to bumper stuff, forget about progressing to 2nd. I RECKON YOU know this already but if it's a 'decent' flow of traffic you'll 'up' according to distance from vechicles in front , engine revs, & line of sight ahead. This is something that only comes with experience but as general rule, in slow moving traffic, the brake and clutch are your friends, don't become too pally with the accelerator

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

Your query is very common...... and it's great that you're analysing/ dwelling on this very important aspect of your driving.

Let me reply by breaking down your post paragraph by paragraph.

1. Perfect!, though the use of the term 'rocket off' isn't appropriate for test purposes....rephrase that.

2.perfect....you have that.

Lol sorry yeah I was just talking about it in an unworried kind of sense. Yeah it's all for the test. That's why I'm checking 1 or 2 of the weak points

3. There is a CORRECT method & you HAVE it, clutch is the workhorse, right foot "riding" the brake.

No 3. Right so as I said I was pretty much doing all this unaware even though it's actually correct. But The "riding the break" part is just a precaution and my 2nd foot should always be there anyway and the clutch is the one doing the work???

4. You're RIGHT. Now, as regards upgearing to 2nd or 3rd this is hard to answer.... basically it's a case of how 'fast' is the 'slow' moving traffic.....like if it's an absolute crawl, bumper to bumper stuff, forget about progressing to 2nd. I RECKON YOU know this already but if it's a 'decent' flow of traffic you'll 'up' according to distance from vechicles in front , engine revs, & line of sight ahead. This is something that only comes with experience but as general rule, in slow moving traffic, the brake and clutch are your friends, don't become too pally with the accelerator
    Yeah pretty much my behaviour in the situation im asking about. Like I said i don't go near the accelerators at all

Sounds good enough to me. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

Sorry about the quoting. My replies are done within the quote

• Registered Users Posts: 12 totover

Wouldn't going up to 2nd gear when creeping not just be defeated by constantly having to go down to first gear everytime there is a stop in traffic no???

I do forget at times but my instructor has me making sure to come down to first gear whenever I stop and down to neutral if it's a longer stop like at lights.

totover wrote: »
    Wouldn't going up to 2nd gear when creeping not just be defeated by constantly having to go down to first gear everytime there is a stop in traffic no???

I do forget at times but my instructor has me making sure to come down to first gear whenever I stop and down to neutral if it's a longer stop like at lights.

I normally answer this with " DEFINE CREEPING".
    If its like funeral procession, bumper-to-bumper stuff, you have no buisness/need to be upping to 2nd anyhow. For the test you must be in CORRECT GEAR for the situation/ speed....so if there's A) sufficient distance to vehicle in front & B) clear line of sight ahead ,you will need to go to2nd at appropriate revs-- zero point going into 2nd if car 10metre in front of you has just stopped at red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 totover

Yeah kind of like what im saying.

The creeping situations I have been in you would need to be letting the vehicle in front go a bit of a distance ahead of you before justifying going up to second. And the instructor would have purposely put me in that busy situation (say after schools being let out) but other than that in a town say for instance I would be comfortably in 2nd gear

Advertisement