Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should the ESB bill cost for a single person living in a 1 bed apartment

Options
  • 06-04-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

My bill has been quite high the last few billings I live alone in a 1 bed apartment and I trying too investigate the issue. I was using an electric heater quite a lot over the winter months so that was probably the reason. Apart from that I use my PS4 and watch Netflix quite a bit, I cook perhaps once a day and I have my shower emersion timed to come on for 2 hrs twice a day. What would you expect it to cost per month. I get billed every 2 months. Last month was 350 euro which s crazy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anything that has a heating element will eat electricity. Most of these devices you only have on for short periods(kettle, oven etc.)
    It was the electric heater that's the cause of the high bill. You should see the bill lower as the weather improves and you use it less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Is 100 euro a month still considered high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Minime2.5 wrote: »

How many hours a day were you using the heater?
    It's a complete guess but a small space heater can cost about 20 - 30 cents an hour that can really adds up over a 30 day period.
    5 - 6 hours a day could add €40 - €50 to your bill per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

My bill has been quite high the last few billings I live alone in a 1 bed apartment and I trying too investigate the issue. I was using an electric heater quite a lot over the winter months so that was probably the reason. Apart from that I use my PS4 and watch Netflix quite a bit, I cook perhaps once a day and I have my shower emersion timed to come on for 2 hrs twice a day. What would you expect it to cost per month. I get billed every 2 months. Last month was 350 euro which s crazy

Check if it's an estimated or actual bill.

My last bill was about €120 for 2 months - two of us in the house, but our heating and water are run off the gas boiler, and not from the Electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the immersions are such a waste of electric. would you not just put it on for hour etc, for shower. Then if you need boiling water for either sink, just get it from kettle...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I was using an electric heater quite a lot over the winter months
    Some are more power hungry than others, and don't always produce that much heat. It also depends on how big the room you're trying to heat is, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Having the immersion on for 2 hours a day is a lot for a single person. You are literally heating up the entire cylinder but most likely only using half of it each day. This isn’t is big issue if you have a cylinder that has an inch of foam around it but if you just have a lagging jacket or nothing at all then you are wasting a bit of money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+1

Two hours, twice a day even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Why is the immersion on for so long? Half an hour is long enough to heat water for a shower and hot water for the bathroom sink. Use the kettle for washing up water.

For comparison, I have a one bed, electric heaters, half hour immersion each day and my bill for Nov/Dec was €103.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote:
    Two hours, twice a day even more so.

I didn't notice it was twice a day. :)

An hour will give half a cylinder of hot water. This will be more than enough for a shower unless there is a pump putting out serious pressure. Having in on for another 30 minutes after the shower would be more than enough to wash dishes and wash hands in bathroom etc

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you have a night meter?

Do you submit meter readings regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Electric heaters are the worst, try a oil heater instead.
    for immersion we put it on for 30-45 mins a day for 2 of us, it's a 210L tank which is massive so is way overkill for us.

2 hours a day is nuts, put your thermostat down a notch or 2 on the boiler and test how hot it gets after 30 mins, think mine is set around 70 degrees

KilOit wrote: »

Like an oil filled electric heater?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Immersion for 2 hours twice a day seems a lot. My family of 4
    Wouldn’t need that.
    A 3kw immersion will use 12 kWh in that time. That’s (12x18c) €2.16 a day alone.
    To give you idea, if I divert 3 kWh from my solar pv to the immersion I have enough hot water for the day plus some.

30 mins immersion should be enough for a single person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Superser (or similar) is your friend... you won't get a more efficient portable heater.
    80 lids for the heater, cylinder of gas about 30 (heats up a small room in 10/15 minutes).
    Free exercise session getting the cylinders - every home should have one (unless you've COPD etc)
    If the electricity goes off you still have light, heat and toast!

minikin wrote: »
    Superser (or similar) is your friend... you won't get a more efficient portable heater.
    80 lids for the heater, cylinder of gas about 30 (heats up a small room in 10/15 minutes).
    Free exercise session getting the cylinders - every home should have one (unless you've COPD etc)
    If the electricity goes off you still have light, heat and toast!

I thought they outlawed these? Or maybe it's just the cylinder itself that should be outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the immersions are such a waste of electric. would you not just put it on for hour etc, for shower. Then if you need boiling water for either sink, just get it from kettle...

Not if it’s a modern insulated tank

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Gumbo wrote: »
    Immersion for 2 hours twice a day seems a lot. My family of 4
    Wouldn’t need that.
    A 3kw immersion will use 12 kWh in that time. That’s (12x18c) €2.16 a day alone.
    To give you idea, if I divert 3 kWh from my solar pv to the immersion I have enough hot water for the day plus some.

30 mins immersion should be enough for a single person.

You don’t know his tank size, also with a cylinder stat it won’t be on for 3 hours. It it reaches temperature after 30 minute it’ll come in sporadically to maintain. , so for the next 1.5 it may only be on for 15-20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

KilOit wrote: »

Aren't all resistive heaters exactly as efficient as each others?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-jmSjy2ArM

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Not if it’s a modern insulated tank

John.g did some of his wonderful calculations. I think heating a small amount of water, maybe up to half a tank, was cheaper than heating with gas or oil. The exception to the rule was if the gas boiler was inches from the cylinder or if it was a combi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Electricity is expensive. If your not already get on a level pay plan and it takes the sting out of the big winter bills.
    I'm in a house with 3 adults, a teen and a 10 year old. They all like to take looooong showers, electric showers. Our cooking and heating is gas which is 40 a month and bit the oven is electric which is used every day.
    Our ESB monthly is €160 so it would be an average or €320 every second month and our gas is €40 a month. It's hard to compare with your electrical heating and emmersion but your does seem high.
    My brother has the same problem living alone and couldn't pay the bill so he got one of those prepaid things and he then could see what was eating the power and cut back on that. They are a good idea if your struggling to pay as you can just top up 20 at a time and never have to worry about the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

Get a boost toner fitted to the immersions

1 push 30 mins
    2 push’s 1 hour

How many times have you forgotten to switch the immersion off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Our last bill for 2 months was €196, that was the winter bill, Dec to feb. My husband works from home most days, 3 bed house, 1 child. Immersion is on most days for couple of hours as my husband has a bath instead of a shower most days.

So i think your bill op is very high for a 1 bed apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Should be fiddy euro. Regardless whether you use candles for lighting or run a grow house with a bitcoin mine side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I lived in a 2 bed apartment for 4 years up until a few months ago.
    Ground floor apartment. so no heat from below to help.
    Electric Storage heating only. Electric cooking only. Eletric water heating.
    I was in most weekends and worked from home 2 days a week. 3 days a week I would be out from 8am til 4pm at work.
    So I guess I would have slightly higher than average electricity usage than most.

The bills were about €48 per month averaged over the whole year on that Airtricity level pay scheme.
    When I finally left Airtricity had to give me back €40, so the bills were actually less than €48 per month on average.

If you are getting €300pm in a one bed apartment you are doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I put a 15-30-1hr timer switch on my immersion. I hit it for 15 or 30 mins before I step into the shower and it goes off automatically. It's not a particularly powerful shower so I don't use a lot of water. I use a dishwasher so don't really need hot water throughout the day. Having an immersion coming on for 2 hours a day seems like a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

I get billed every 2 months. Last month was 350 euro which s crazy
    I'd say that's pretty normal if you live in an old apartment. And since you said that you are using electric heater quite often, you probably do.
    Check how is your bill during upcoming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

XVII wrote: »
    I'd say that's pretty normal if you live in an old apartment. And since you said that you are using electric heater quite often, you probably do.
    Check how is your bill during upcoming months.

Not really normal, I live in an old apartment and my winter bill was €120.

• Advertisement

If it’s an apartment it’s likely that it’s storage heaters and night meter?
    If so then maybe OP is just doing it wrong and heating water and heaters during the day?

Advertisement