Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing stakes for fencing

Options
  • 25-05-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Looking to do about 1600m of sheep fencing here, probably will push them into the ground with a 6-7 ton digger.
    Located in east Galway. Any recommendations for a supplier/pitfalls/tips?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

tim from tang on the forestry forum has larch stakes for sale.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

I would get the PDM stakes, dearer but better.
    If going down the tams route, and you have a few applications, best to have invoices per application and not be splitting invoices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

andymann wrote: »
    Looking to do about 1600m of sheep fencing here, probably will push them into the ground with a 6-7 ton digger.
    Thanks

You can't be too far from Woodfarm there near Caltra - they should have loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

andymann wrote: »
    Thanks

Do not buy Irish or fast grown stakes with massive rings ...money into a hole is all that is even the cresoted ones..has to be slow grown and they're all imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

concrete stakes will save you from any long term dissapointment!!

• Advertisement

Steel, fibreglass, or concrete. I won't buy another p.o.s. wood post ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Really want to try clipex out, although I am just trying to justify is it worth it long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Steel, fibreglass, or concrete. I won't buy another p.o.s. wood post ever again.

You should probably stop buying cheap posts then and expecting them to last. Most people who complain about timber stakes buy the cheapest ****e they can get or do zero research of their own and then are bewildered when they get rubbish.

Plenty of creosote stakes out there that will last 20+ years. We have never skimped on stakes and rarely have to replace any of them.

Capra wrote: »
    You should probably stop buying cheap posts then and expecting them to last. Most people who complain about timber stakes buy the cheapest ****e they can get or do zero research of their own and then are bewildered when they get rubbish.

Plenty of creosote stakes out there that will last 20+ years. We have never skimped on stakes and rarely have to replace any of them.

Yes but there's poor quality cresote stakes too.very simply just check the rings.the closer the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Used octowood stakes here on the last big fencing job I did 2010, expensive but worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

Anniepower wrote: »
    Really want to try clipex out, although I am just trying to justify is it worth it long term.

I am using them all the time now. I think the cost will be justified over time. Plus they are easy to put down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Dozer1 wrote: »

I don't but I had spotted them on Donedeal as well and I was thinking of picking up a pallet of posts to give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

The11Duff wrote: »
    I am using them all the time now. I think the cost will be justified over time. Plus they are easy to put down

Good to hear! Do you mind me asking what kind of stock do you keep? I am beef myself and just wonder about the fencing being suitable for cattle with scratching and the size of them? Do you keep the strand of sheep wire and two rows of barbed at the top?

The11Duff wrote: »

Clipex.i don't understand how they sell.
    If you put down a clipex and a bullock puts it's head up against it ,he'll move it.
    A good quality 4 inche cresote post put down with a decent post driver will not move.
    Plus all this galvanized light steel rots after 10 15 years too I have galvanized gutters etc rotten after 10 years.. galvanized steel is not done the same as it was back years ago.

richie123 wrote: »
    Clipex.i don't understand how they sell.
    If you put down a clipex and a bullock puts it's head up against it ,he'll move it.
    A good quality 4 inche cresote post put down with a decent post driver will not move.
    Plus all this galvanized light steel rots after 10 15 years too I have galvanized gutters etc rotten after 10 years.. galvanized steel is not done the same as it was back years ago.

Exactly, I have high quality pigtails at home and they are all starting to rust at the foot despite only being used on and off throughout the year. If they were in the ground permanently they would definitely be rotten by now.

Exactly, I have high quality pigtails at home and they are all starting to rust at the foot despite only being used on and off throughout the year. If they were in the ground permanently they would definitely be rotten by now.

Buy decent cresote slow grown stakes and it's a lifetime job ..and don't top them with a saw.(drive them to the correct height) clipex is not a long lasting job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

richie123 wrote: »
    Buy decent cresote slow grown stakes and it's a lifetime job ..and don't top them with a saw.(drive them to the correct height) clipex is not a long lasting job.

I thought clipex was more for sheep wire than cattle?

I would suspect the galvanise stakes would outlast any cresote stakes you buy now.

We used to use old ESB poles here, quarter them and drive them in. They would last longer than any bought stake, even when quartered.
    Using larch now from some larch trees we have - we’ll see how they do...

I would suspect the galvanise stakes would outlast any cresote stakes you buy now.

We used to use old ESB poles here, quarter them and drive them in. They would last longer than any bought stake, even when quartered.

Well, my pigtails which were as expensive as you can get are rusting at the foot so I doubt Chinese made galvanised posts will be much better.

I can tell you now the "larch" will be rotten in about 3-5 years. There is no proper larch in this country any more. It's all that hybrid/Japanese larch which by all accounts doesn't last at all. European larch is supposed to be very hard to come by.

I can't see why a good creosote post won't last you 30 years. We have been getting them off the same people for 25 years and they are all still perfect. They tell me the treatment and timber is still exactly the same now as it always was and I've no reason to doubt it.

Edit: I see it's larch from your own farm so perhaps it will be grand but I'm talking about all of the lads selling "larch stakes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Well, my pigtails which were as expensive as you can get are rusting at the foot so I doubt Chinese made galvanised posts will be much better.

I can tell you now the "larch" will be rotten in about 3-5 years. There is no proper larch in this country any more. It's all that hybrid/Japanese larch which by all accounts doesn't last at all. European larch is supposed to be very hard to come by.

I can't see why a good creosote post won't last you 30 years. We have been getting them off the same people for 25 years and they are all still perfect. They tell me the treatment and timber is still exactly the same now as it always was and I've no reason to doubt it.

Edit: I see it's larch from your own farm so perhaps it will be grand but I'm talking about all of the lads selling "larch stakes".

Yeah, it’s European larch we have. Planted at home by the man who came before me who saw the need for good stakes a long time ago...

Who do you get your stakes from?

• Advertisement

You can use clipex for either sheep or single strand wire.
    It's still galvanized rubbish like every other galvanized product out there. it's a help but not the same galvanizing process we had years ago.

Advertisement