Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football & Coronavirus Thread Ban

Options
  • 23-04-2020 11:28pm

Hi there,

I would like some detailed explanation as to why I have been thread banned from the following thread in the soccer forum.

Steve who provided the ban has not responded to my PM.

According to the assessment from Steve the reasons for the ban are the following.

See here

etWOizv.png

And the PM here

eE925zK.png

I have not received any card on the thread either. Please feel free to point out where you believe I broke the charter.

Thank you.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I've had a quick look at your posts in the thread, and here are some examples:
    Pathetic post shown up for what it is

Embarrassing
    You have a lock on every post I put up so be interesting to see where you see me post the exact same thing over and over

Also am I only allowed to post when you let me? Sorry dada I will pm you in future first

You might need to look harder at other sources and posters considering you are well able to find me every minute of your day
    Absolutely stellar contributions
    You are Ob.sessed with me
    He is obsessed with me. It's his thing

Unfortunately too many examples of you commenting about posters. I know you have made a lot of posts in the thread, and many have been constructive. Unfortunately when you resort to posting like this I can see exactly why you were threadbanned and can see no reason to overturn it

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, I've had a quick look at your posts in the thread, and here are some examples:

Unfortunately too many examples of you commenting about posters. I know you have made a lot of posts in the thread, and many have been constructive. Unfortunately when you resort to posting like this I can see exactly why you were threadbanned and can see no reason to overturn it

Hi Beatsy,

Thanks for the response.

I had initial concerns around a moderator stating he closed the thread because of mass reporting and had the most reports on boards.ie which he stated in the notes left before it was closed.

Then it was reopened a few days later and another admin stepped in to say posters were banned and provided no explanation as to why or also did not respond via PM when I asked.
    Even the initial PM itself had no feedback information as to why.

It took you an admin to at least provide this via a helpdesk thread that I had to create. Why couldnt the moderator who closed the thread do it? They took the time to discuss it in the first place and took the action to ban me.

That specific mod who closed the thread is very clearly active and as you say in the above messages you quoted are grounds for it then so be it. I take that on the chin and we move on.
    But why a yellow infraction on my account to note? Is this part and parcel or a thread ban? (I honestly dont know). Do I need to appeal this now?

As for the quotes themselves, do you see any of these you have quoted from me as being reactionary? Do you see any reason why I would resort to the above types of posts even if the majority of my posts have been informative.

Even reading them back here myself it seems so.
    I can point to multiple posters attacking me or looking to be outraged over quit simple minuscule things on threads consistently and I've yet to see any proper moderator action for it.

This has become a trend on the soccer forum for quite some time.

In the charter it states attack the post and not the poster. I'm consistently on the end of this from certain sections.

This helpdesk thread to be clear is about the thread ban, however I'm noticing clear bias within the threads themselves.

If I quote some posts here from just the coronavirus thread or general pl and you read them back would that same rule / thread ban be applied to those others posters who behaved in the same manner?

I at least deserve to see some consistency being applied here tbf.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just looked at that yellow. Yes it is simply to note the threadban. It carries no weight in the totting up process in the forum, nor any future mod actions |(except of course should you ignore the threadban)

As you will appreciate there's a lot going on around the site at present. I'll try and look at your other points, but it will not be until some time tomorrow at the earliest that I will be able to get back

I will just add there is an unapproved post from another user that I am not approving because that user is not directly involved in this

However their points are noted and will be considered when looking further into this

Ok Thanks Beasty
    Sure let me know when you get a chance

• Advertisement

Hi Beasty

Just another point. General PL has discussions of coronavirus by multiple posters for a long time now which goes hand in hand at the moment.

I've literally just a had a post deleted for me by a mod I assume. I posted it again as I'm not actually sure what happened.

This is what I said to another poster.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113273342&postcount=8853

I also want to know why it has just been deleted?

Thanks again.

I can deal with that follow up point quickly. I've just had a look and the rationale behind the deletion was that you are banned from the dedicated Coronavirus thread, so taking Coronavirus discussion to the general PL thread is essentially circumventing that ban. Seems entirely reasonable to me, but perhaps there should have been a mod note explaining that

Beasty wrote: »
    I can deal with that follow up point quickly. I've just had a look and the rationale behind the deletion was that you are banned from the dedicated Coronavirus thread, so taking Coronavirus discussion to the general PL thread is essentially circumventing that ban. Seems entirely reasonable to me, but perhaps there should have been a mod note explaining that

Ok thanks for explaining.

So the note in the general pl thread says there is no coronavirus to be discussed in the general pl from now on. There is a dedicated thread.

For clarity what is essentially been said to me is I'm no longer allowed to mention the impact coronavirus has on football entirely on the site?

I was banned from the football / coronavirus thread as you say above for commenting on posters on thread.

I don't see how these correlate. They are not mutually exclusive.

I don't want to add confusion as you are taking time to review the points I initially mentioned above which is fine no problem but that is also not exactly fair. A blanket ban on discussing it now? I will follow the thread and expect everyone in the general thread to not discuss coronavirus also then?

I also have a perfect example today of a poster looking to be argumentative and putting words in my mouth. Therefore the reaction issues I mentioned previously and the inonsistency applied across the soccer forum.
    (there was nothing but informative information in my post today again)

I will show you when you get time.

Thanks again.

You should not bring up Coronavirus in the Soccer Forum but can discuss it elsewhere on the site

I've been looking through that thread and would firstly mention the post by Steve issuing 3 threadbans
    Steve wrote: »
    Ok, the thread is open on condition that this is in the common interests of soccer to discuss what happens next. Any sniping or trolling or tribalism will be met with a no questions asked removal of posting rights.

Normal totting up rules no longer apply in this thread, bans will be instant.

Following discussion with the mod team the following users are threadbanned:

brinty
    T.Hanks
    MD1990

Threadbanned users posting further in this thread will result in a permanent soccer forum ban

There had been discussion in the Soccer Mods forum about what had been going on in that thread and a mod had closed the thread while the thread was reviewed

The threadbans were actually suggested by a Sports CMod (no need to say which one). A 4th poster was also mentioned but after further discussion it was decided that threadbans were appropriate in these 3 cases

The reasoning behind the threadbans? It appears that old United/Liverpool tribalism was largely behind it. United fans being encouraged to find reasons for the Season not to complete and Liverpool fans taking an opposite approach. It's pretty clear that in the case of the 3 who were threadbanned there was too much aligned to their "own" club interests and not the underlying topic (I say own club, but in the case of United fans involved it was a case of trying to find reasons for Liverpool not to be awarded the title, or perhaps a way for it to be distinguished from a "proper" title)

The three posters had posted quite regularly in the thread, which in itself raises their profile and can (and in this case did) result in questions over their motives in posting. Was it genuine Coronavirus discussion or was it finding ways to have a dig at the "other" club.

The conclusions of the mod team (and a number of mods and CMods were involved in that discussion) was the thread would be a lot better and less troublesome without those 3 posters and the threadbans followed

I am seeing no reason to disagree with the mod decisions on this. What I might suggest to you and the other two posters involved is you might want to contact Steve or one of the Forum mods in a few weeks time to see if the threadban can be lifted (although if it is I would expect there to be conditions over future posting in the thread to be imposed

That's the specifics of the threadbans covered. I still need to look at the other points raised by you and in the unapproved post by another poster

One point I can quickly address is the number of reports in connection with the thread. I can certainly confirm that thread has been subject to more reports than any other since the thread was started

I'm still noticing alot of select reasoning here as to my ban and more speculation than fact.
    In the original assessment for attacking posters that is a more believable reason and is as per the charter.
    Now it's because i have been posting a particular thought process frequently which some believe to be tribal.

To be clear here, I dont think I've ever mentioned a specific team. That is an assumption some others are portraying. I hark back to the words in mouth comment.

My general concensis is that I don't see the possibility of football resuming for the next year or so without a vaccine ect. That's a more common thought process than some may like to believe. Getting outraged and offended by that is quite frankly childish or deliberate.

On the other points, I have multiple recent examples to share here. I think in the interest of fairness the same application of moderation should be applied in this case.

Let me know when you get the time and I can share them . I think it will give what I'm saying more context.

And ties into the overall nonsense outrage, attacking on thread and general speculation (putting words in my mouth or consistently misrepresenting what I'm saying by a select group of posters over and over).

Anyway enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Let me know when you review further.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Has there been any update on this please?
    It's been well over a week since previous update.

Thank you.

Is there any update? Its been weeks now. Thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement