Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home brewing kits

Options
  • 03-11-2020 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi, I am just wondering has anyone any recommendations for home brewing kits or where to buy them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Do you mean a set of a equipment to start brewing? You can find sets of starter gear on Geterbrewed, The Homebrew Company and Homebrew West. These are the very basics for starting brewing from kits, and you can add new bits if you want to get more involved in the brewing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭elaine.rodger

Thanks BeerNut for those suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Is there a specific starter kit that anyone would recommend or think is particularly useful? Looking to get into it but a bit frazzled and could do with advice. Navigating the sites I think I'd be an easy target to be duped into buying something half useless!

All the ones above are broadly the same price. Do you have a particular concern? Do you have a budget for how much you want to spend to start brewing?

Brewing is cooking. You can spend any amount of money on gear and ingredients, and it depends on how deeply you want to get into it. The great thing about the starter sets linked to above is that you can scale them up: everything you buy to start you off brewing from kits will still be useful if you move on to extract or all-grain brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Well even the fact that this set would still be useful if I get more adept at it would be reassuring. I guess its just intimidating because Im starting from scratch, so thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement

Tig98 wrote: »
    I guess its just intimidating because Im starting from scratch, so thanks for the help
    That's what we're here for! There's lots of great advice in the forum archives, and if you can't find an answer, just ask.

The main things to know starting out are:
    1. Brewing is mostly cleaning.
    2. High temperatures are your enemy; low temperatures are not.
    3. Kit instructions will steer you wrong on almost everything -- never ever read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's what we're here for! There's lots of great advice in the forum archives, and if you can't find an answer, just ask.

The main things to know starting out are:
    1. Brewing is mostly cleaning.
    2. High temperatures are your enemy; low temperatures are not.
    3. Kit instructions will steer you wrong on almost everything -- never ever read them.

What would you change in the instructions?

Regarding kits, pick a beer type you like and we can probably suggest some kits from that type.

For the starter kits, in retrospect, I would make sure to get some with 30l or even higher capacity buckets. Some beers will ferment quickly and having a bit more space before overflow is nice (and saves arguments when a mess is made!!!!)

What would you change in the instructions?
    In general, kit instructions will tell you to add sugar, to ferment warm and to finish quickly. All three will make the beer turn out worse than it should be. I strongly suggest that any beginner kit brewer find a guide to kit brewing on a home brewing website rather than using the manufacturer's instructions.

Advertisement