Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conical Fermenter

Options
  • 28-10-2020 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi, just a question to people out there. I have a grainfather and currently using a plastic brew bucket. Wondering who has a stainless conical fermenter and what they are using and size. I see the SD brewtech 7gallon but not sure if its big enough. Next size is 14 gallon (I think) which is a tad big. Just getting ideas.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

7 gallons is 35 litres. The grainfather generally does 23 litre batches. That's a lot of headspace, probably more than in your buckets. Unless you want to do double batches?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

That fermenter is 7 gallons US, not imperial. Roughly 26 litres. Just asking to see who has what.
    feylya wrote: »
    7 gallons is 35 litres. The grainfather generally does 23 litre batches. That's a lot of headspace, probably more than in your buckets. Unless you want to do double batches?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

65L SS Chronical (half barrel). (see attached pic).

Bought it when I was on better money and brewing more (and had less kids).

Happy with it, but not perfect. Chillers are hard to come by that suit it (the bar cooler was ok, but never let me crash cool).

The big benefits are adjustable racking arm, pressure transfers, and fairly low O2 pickup if you use it right or invest in the right triclamp parts for the top port.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Very impressive bit of kit, basic conical stainless vessel I'm looking for. I've see brewmonk conical fermenter online but reviews are hard to come by. SS Brewtech looks better made. Angelbrew have conical fermenter as well,again reviews hard to come by.
    sharingan wrote: »
    65L SS Chronical (half barrel). (see attached pic).

Bought it when I was on better money and brewing more (and had less kids).

Happy with it, but not perfect. Chillers are hard to come by that suit it (the bar cooler was ok, but never let me crash cool).

The big benefits are adjustable racking arm, pressure transfers, and fairly low O2 pickup if you use it right or invest in the right triclamp parts for the top port.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

BPH wrote: »
    Very impressive bit of kit, basic conical stainless vessel I'm looking for. I've see brewmonk conical fermenter online but reviews are hard to come by. SS Brewtech looks better made. Angelbrew have conical fermenter as well,again reviews hard to come by.

Not sure what you mean by 'basic' - but I would consider a 'basic' conical to have a usable cone & dump valve, for jettisoning trub, dead yeast, yeast harvesting, dry hops etc. It doesnt have to be easy to do, but it should tick that box. The angle of the cone should be correct for this operation (60 deg +).

- may have threaded ports for racking/dump valve instead of tri clamp.
    - may omit a tri clamp top port in favour of a simple bung / airlock.
    - may omit an adjustable racking arm.
    - may omit a thermowell
    - may omit clamps/gaskets for pressure transfers

You could save money on a design that omits all those, but I wouldnt recommend it.

Once the design has all those features, you can start looking at the specific quality of various parts. Most homebrew conical dump valves are fairly crap (butterfly valves are better). Jacketed conical ? Integrated cooling coil? That will cost you more than a 2nd hand freestanding fridge which will do the same job, and just as well.

Robustness is an area that is not discussed too much, and hard to know in advance of a purchase. Also sanitary welds.

Just bear in mind, that the whole industry of high end conicals is pandering to the fantasy of do-everything vessels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement