Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the waters and the wild

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Sun 2 hour easy turbo

Easy turbo- again I found it difficult to get the cadence higher (av 74rpm). I think if I start with some fast <20sec sprints, its easier to subsequently keep cadence higher.

Mon 30min S&C, 20min run; Masters swim with 1,500TT

Run:
    10min easy, 10min build to 8/10PE
    I was a little rusty starting off, heavy legs from the weekend. Things picked up a bit as I got faster, and although form wasn't as smooth as I'd have liked, the pace was there when looked for.

Swim:
    200 WU
    4*75 as (25k, 25 ripple, 25swim; 10s)
    1,500TT 23:23
    300 easy
    200 hypoxic

I determined to go off nice and steady for this TT, being in the habit of blasting off with excitement and then fading. The plan was for around 1:33 pace, but after about 500m my legs were sinking a bit (I think tired from the weekend? Maybe thats just an excuse). In any case I quickly grabbed the pull bouy for the rest, and position immediately improved, along with a quicker pace. The arms felt strong and I had a good catch and pull throughout. I knew things were going well, and I was happy with the time at the end, no draft involved today.
    The only issue is the pull bouy... in a way its a crutch which masks a weak kick/core, but in another way its Tri I'm training for, not the pool, so the PB is closer to wetsuit swimming... But I'll keep working on the core and legs anyway, see if I can get a straight 1,500TT around 22:30 in the 50m pool next March

Tue 45min S&C, 15min jog; 60min run

Run:
    20min easy, 20min 5/6PE, 20min 7/8PE

I got caught out on this run, having expected to takes the kids swimming and run in lamplit Gorey, they instead developed colds and so I tried to grab the last of the evenings light locally. Judged the dusk badly though, and it was lucky I brought the headtorch as it was near pitch dark in the forest after 30 mins. I couldn't see the watch pace too well and was cautious for roots and branches, so the faster parts weren't quite as fast as last weeks iteration.

Wed 25min S&C, 65min Turbo, 10min S&C

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(10s MAX, 2:20min easy)
    10*(3min build 240-270W, 1min EZ)
    5min EZ

This is probably the best turbo I've done in the recent past. The aim was to keep the cadence over 80, and although it took a decided effort to do so on the sections, I came away with an overall average of 86rpm. Coupled with hitting the main power levels (and more importantly doing so in a controlled manner), I'm happy with how this session went.

Wed PM 20 mins Fastlane

This little swim wouldn't usually be notable, except the first 15 mins were done without the pb. In the static environment of the Fastlane this usually this leads to sinking legs, or a frantic kick which leads to tiredness. Tonight was different... tonight was the first time ever I've swam beyond 5 minutes with a good kick, one that enabled good body position, without taxing too much. The sort of kick you watch kids doing "effortlessly"- its just something that needs to be learned, and mentally worked on (before it becomes second nature).

Far too early to be talking about breakthroughs, but tonight was notable enough that I want to mark the point in my log.

• Advertisement

Thurs 25min S&C, 30 min run; 15min S&C, Masters swim

Run:
    20min easy, 10min build to 8/10PE
    Felt a little wheezy towards the end. A damp heavy day coupled with I think too much chlorine in my pool last night. No big deal, easily remedied.

Swim:
    200wu
    6*(25k, 25sw 5s)
    16*100 alt (100 hard, 100 pace)
    200 swimdown

Bit of a mess, coach wanted me to do the 1500TT again cos it suited the guys who weren't there Mon. I went into the slow lane (would have just congested the fast lane) but he pulled me and said do 16*100 instead. As it was I couldn't find a stroke to save my life, struggled with form and found it hard to get under 1:30 pace. Just one of those nights.

Fri 30min fastlane, 15min S&C, 60min turbo, 10min S&C

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(10min MAX, 2:20 EZ)
    15*(1min on PE 7/8, 1min easy recovery)
    10min EZ

It was mentioned to me that my head was in the wrong place before/during last nights swim, which suffered accordingly. Very true, there's a mental aspect to training as well as a physical aspect. One of the best advice I ever heard was that every session should have a purpose, and you should know that purpose before starting the session. With that in mind ;) I redeemed the psyche with an enjoyable 30mins easy swimming, before getting on to the meat of the day.
    Happy enough with how it went. I'm starting to spin better (84rpm av). Also worth noting the total mental contrast to last nights swim- today I went into the session with purpose and came out of it fulfilled.

Sat 30th-Tue7th Holidays

We went on a family trip to NY, I packed trunks and good intentions, but only got in a couple of runs and a lot of walking. The runs included one early morning Upstate in the rain, with the young lad, who went flying off and I struggled to keep up. The second was a solo run around Van Courtland Park in da Bronx, there are some amazing trails there. Said hello to a passing runner who looked shocked at being greeted :D The rest of the trip was a series of missed runs, gyms, and hotel pools, in favour of some great fun with old friends and family. No problems there, we had a great time. I love NY!

Wed 15min S&C, 40 min swim

Back on the horse. I'm pretty jetlagged now but I made sure to get this late swim session done. Nothing too fancy, just getting a feel for the water again. Swim yoga beforehand helped with flexibility in the pool and especially the tumble turns. The pace/effort ratio was way off normal, but thats to be expected.

Thurs 15min S&C, 30 min run; 15min yoga, 60min Masters swim

Run: 20min easy, 10min build to 8/10 PE
    Felt very fresh starting off, glad to be back running. I was hampered somewhat by a billion tiny flies surfing the sunlight beaming through the trees along the railway walk. Picked it up nicely towards the end.

Swim:
    200 warmup
    4*100 no breathing between flags and wall
    4*(25k, 25drill, 50 swim)
    Main 2*(4*75pace off 1:20, 4*75easy off 1:25, 4*75hard off 1:15)
    Not my finest hour in the pool, I made all the times however it was like swimming through treacle. Form was lousy, feet were cramping... still its to be expected after a week off, and just a stepping stone to better form in the water which will come back quick enough.

Fri 30min easy run; 45min weights

The pace was very slow for this modest run, but my new Garmin 935 spiked the HR to 185 at times... I hope this won't be a continuing feature of the watch, as I bought it expecting greater accuracy. Early days, I s'pose.

Later 45mins on the multi-gym, good old fashioned pumping iron, ya can't beat it. The only low point was having to move the weights from my sons much heavier settings ;)

• Advertisement

Sat 60min run; 60min S&C

Run: 45min easy, 15min build to 7/8PE
    Early morning drive to bring the kids to their pool and drove back to Gorey, did this run along a well lit sidewalk in the pissing rain. One of those runs you shudder leaving the car, but its enjoyable from 3 mins in.
    The first 45mins were no hassle, conversation pace albeit an internal monologue, and picked it up without issue over the last 15mins.

Later an hour of stretches and weights.

Sun 15min S&C, 10 easy run, 15min yoga, 2hour easy turbo

Yesterday I found out about a local fundraiser run on at noon, I'd be shunned locally if I didn't attend. So the 2h turbo was pushed back until afterwards, figured I'd run the 5k option easy with my son, but the organizer wouldn't allow me do anything but the 10k. The young lad ended up doing this with me, its the farthest he's ever run, we paced the hilly route well and kept it at easy pace (for me anyway), got around in 55mins without incident.
    Back home I did my pre-bike yoga stretches, then set up on the turbo. It's a nice day, and although the option was an outside spin, I'm glad I didn't now. The first hour was fine, kept the effort low and the cadence high, but I started to tire on the second hour. For whatever reason I had consumed no food today and reckon I probably bonked on the bike, in any case I found the last 15mins pretty tough. Got it finished, got some food into me, and was consumed by tiredness so had an hours nap.
    Silly mistake to have made but something to learn from.

Mon 30min S&C, 20min run; 2,800m Masters swim

Run: 10min EZ, 10 min build to 8/10PE
    A little muscle fatigue starting off which soon went away, finished at a decent enough effort so happy with the run.

Swim:
    Main: 10*200 off 3:15 (15s rest)
    Two lanes tonight, very congested, lane 1 was too slow, lane 2 was too fast, so these 200's ended up pretty disjointed. In the end I gave up counting and just did what I could, moving to the faster lane after 600m or so. The one thing of note is my form is coming back, streamline was much better and could hold a decent pace.

Tue 45min weights, 15min easy jog; 15min S&C, 60min progression run

Run: 20min EZ, 20min moderate, 20min build to 7/8PE

Another dark run along that long and unforgiving footpath from Gorey. It's elemental; the same concrete grey thud to each step, a metronome of car headlights passing by, and the fake daylight LED's showing the way through the dark. Just the watch and the lungs to gauge progress by. Abstract running.

Wed 10min yoga, 65min turbo, 10min stretching; 20min Fastlane easy

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(2:20 EZ, 10s MAX)
    10*(3min build 240-280W, 1min EZ)
    5min EZ

This was a good hard turbo, I probably went out a little hard for the first few reps but managed the build better in the latter ones. Tough session, this one, good old fashioned "turbo-time-stands-still" hurt. I was watching "Whiplash" which was the perfect accompaniment!

Thurs 20min Fastlane; 15min S&C, 30min run; Masters swim

I've a gala this weekend (50fr, 100fr, 100IM) so took some time to sharpen up my breaststroke timing with these drills. The IM will be a shot in the dark against the real focus of the freestyle events, but I want to set as decent a standard as I can.

Run: 20min EZ, 10min build to 8/10PE
    The legs weren't too bad but the engine could feel yesterday's turbo. The main thing is the HR/effort increased in a steady fashion, as it should.

Masters:
    400m warm up
    6*(25sailboat 25fist 25swim, 10s)
    The remainder was all dive and start practice, swimming no more than 20m each dive. I got some solid advice from the coach (coming up from the dive a little too soon, also I need to drive the hand entry forward to prevent a slight snaking of the hips). There are only two of us attending this gala, and neither of us feel at our best- but this time of year its about setting a mark, and I've started to visualise what I need to do in each event to set a good mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Enjoy and good luck this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    The remainder was all dive and start practice, swimming no more than 20m each dive. I got some solid advice from the coach (coming up from the dive a little too soon, also I need to drive the hand entry forward to prevent a slight snaking of the hips). There are only two of us attending this gala, and neither of us feel at our best- but this time of year its about setting a mark, and I've started to visualise what I need to do in each event to set a good mark.

If it makes you feel any better I'm down to race Sunday and the first time I'll dive off the blocks ever will be at the warm up :D My kids are dying to come and laugh at me. I have visions of goggles flying off and togs around the ankles.

griffin100 wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better I'm down to race Sunday and the first time I'll dive off the blocks ever will be at the warm up :D My kids are dying to come and laugh at me. I have visions of goggles flying off and togs around the ankles.

Awesome! :D Fair play to you, I'll keep an eye out for you. What events are you entered? Hopefully we will bring a crowd from Asgard to St Fiacc's novice gala in Dec.

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Awesome! :D Fair play to you, I'll keep an eye out for you. What events are you entered? Hopefully we will bring a crowd from Asgard to St Fiacc's novice gala in Dec.

100m and 200m free - can't do any other stroke. Seed times are 1.30 and 3.10 - hoping to go a bit better than that. I'll be swimming with Glenalbyn.

Will you still be classed as a novice in December ;)

• Advertisement

Fri 30min easy run; 45min weights

My HR seemed very high on this run, which felt very comfortable. Either I have a cold coming on or the watch isn't reading correctly.

Sat 60min run; 15min yoga

An early start on my dark and dreary Gorey path, things soon got brighter as the day began. Nice and easy for the first 45mins, and build for the next 15. The HR looks a lot better today, still a little high but the body etc feels good for tomorrow.

Sun SC National Champs; 1:55 bike

50free 32.92
    I swam this like a lunatic, punching and fighting my way through the water on the way to a small PB. Didn't have a great turn either, and was disappointed with the time.

Bike:
    10 EZ
    4*(10s MAX, 2:20 easy)
    6 *(10 mins building from PE 3 to 8 every 2 mins, 5 mins easy)
    5min EZ
    I had 3.5 hours to my next event, and had brought the road bike. Fought my way through Blanchardstown traffic lights, crazy drivers, and headed on the road to Dunshauchlin. This was a better way to spend time rather than wait in the hot NAC.

100IM 1:33
    Having never done this event before, it was always going to be a shot in the dark. Had a great start, and kept up a decent approximation of Fly to the wall. Not a bad turn, and into back stroke. I really should try this stroke more, it might suit my build. For today, I managed to keep between the ropes and remember to touch the wall before turning. Into breaststroke, where my arms and legs refused to work in unison. In truth I have a lazy kick, and my mate in the stands said I lost a lot of time with poor legs. A turn andemptywhateverisleft to finish happy that I entered something different. I'll be back.

100free DQ
    A long gap after "takeyourmarks"... the devil on my shoulder whispered that the gun was imminent... and before I knew it I was committing to a start. Anyway, decent start and first 25, ok turn, start breathing more on the next 25, ok turn but forgot to dolphin kick, and by now my legs were screaming hurt. I made it through the remainder, disappointed to see a 1:14 hand time. From talking afterwards, my first 50m was in 34s, so that means a second 50m in 40s. If I want to go under 1:10 I need to hold first 50m form for the remainder, simple as.

Overall: I'm disappointed with my times, but my aim was to set a marker for the season and have something to aim to better. Being objective, these times are off 2 days swimming a week, and should improve over the next few months. I'm very glad to have attended the gala, its always good to find out where you are, and how you feel about that. Good to meet a few from here up at the NAC, including the ever-improving Griffin.

Good to see you today.

Not sure a bike between races did you any favours but I agree it's hard to sit in the heat all day. Thought you'd moved a little early on the blocks for the 100 free alright.

Maybe we'll catch up in Linerick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the question is why would you want to go sub 1.10 in december ????. I know athletes that with 1.12 season pb for 100 m swim legit 19-19.30 in oly tris ( wetsuit) .i have no detailed idea about your results but as an guestimate , overall you need to focus much more on endurance and focus building that engine to become bigger and I guess in your case the run would be more valuable to focus on. ( at the end of the day in tri it sodnt make sense to swim 20 min if you cant run sub 40 of the bike .
    i understand swiming is your baby but if its triathlon you want to get better it might make sense to reconsider your approach.
    this could also be to train more like a "tri swimmer".

if i was swiming 1.14 at the monent my first question would be have i given my body enough time to recover in the off season ( that only applies to me but with 2 swims a week and in off season i would not even dream swiming 1.14 ( i guess even tango would struggle maaybe he could do 1.12 if i was ot guess , and he is somebody that can swim ok with way less swiming than i can with many many miles under his belt in earlier times )

i think its great you did the gala as it is always good to push , but the times are not really important

Thanks for the reply Peter- always good to consider hard questions!

The main point I want to swim under 1:10 for competitive reasons. And then go faster, see what I can do. I enjoy swimming, and like the fact it is a life-long competition.

In relation to Tri you are dead right that working on endurance is more important (the real "test" of the winter gala season will be a 21:xx goal at the LC Champs next March). A large part of swim endurance necessitates holding good form throughout. You can hold good form throughout either by keeping pace down for the first half and maintaining through the second; or by going hard pace in the first half and pushing to stay hard in the second*. Yesterday's 100fr was about pushing hard from the start- I "failed" in the respect that I died on the final 50 (34/40), but it was a better lesson than swimming 37/37 (something I know I can do) in that I got good feedback on why my form deteriorated. If I want to hit my goals I'll have to work on finding ways to keep a hard pace from deteriorating over the second half of a race (be that 50m or 1,500m).

(*Referring to pure swim races here where you expect to finish spent. However, training like this now should benefit Tri swimming as "hard pace" now becomes "steady pace" in the summer)

Yes run endurance is more important in an overall Tri context- I'm running 5 times a week against two swims. The focus is still on improving overall Tri races, and I'd never have done the 2hour bike yesterday if the 100m swim was as important to me as it might have been a couple of years ago.

More triathletes should do swim galas IMO, they come at the perfect time in the season and are a great way to keep a swim focus over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done Kurt, good to try something different!

Just on your 50m, how important is the diving start? I know you said you want an even split, I don't know, but I would have thought that the diving start would give you a big advantage at the start?

Cheers Joey.

A block start is worth quite a lot of time, so the first 25m in a 50free will be a couple of seconds quicker (even effort towards the end is what I really mean, keep the intensity going when the arms start to tire). To be honest I don't remember much about the 50free, its over in a blur of white noise! But I guess I did 14/15s for first 25m.

Mon 30min S&C, 20min run; 60min Masters swim

Run: 10min EZ, 10min build to 8/10PE
    I was stiff today, the stretching helped, as did this run. Running form is improving as the weeks go by, and dare I say it I'm starting to enjoy upping the pace towards the end of these build sessions.

Swim:
    400m WU
    12*25 (build pace 1-4) 10s
    15*100 off 1:40 (no breaths between wall and flags)
    7*(25 choice max, 25 easy, 50 pace, 10s)

An expected 400TT was gladly moved to next Thursday, just as well as my arms were tired from yesterday. The main set gave me a chance to test tumble turns, an area I could improve in. Tried to whip the legs over the head (and became aware of a sideways legthrow I've been doing) and get a good plant, push off with a couple of fly kicks. There's a lot that can go wrong- but when you do plant the feet well and push off with force, two good fly kicks bring you nicely past the flags with good momentum into front crawl. Breathing seems better too when it works.

• Advertisement

Tue 45min weights, 15min easy jog; 15min yoga, 60 min run

Run: 30mins 3/4PE, 20min build to 5/6PE, 10min build to 7/8PE

This was a slightly easier run tonight, and to be honest it came at the right time, the weekend was catching up on me. Again along the Gorey twilight zone, I was happy to keep things easy for the first half hour, and then just build slowly up. I finished with very good form, if I do say so myself. There’s a noticeable benefit from the yoga and core work.

Advertisement