Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Control-Alt-Delete.........RESTART!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Fyi race looks to be sold out

Say it ain't so.

ShineyShiney???

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I'll sort you a transfer if you decide to race Bth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Wow it's all kicking off in here! :P

Sunday should be great fun and it would be great to see everyone there! Coffee on the first boardsee home :)

Tuesday 30th June

Bike Tempo

Back on the turbo, 65 minutes including 3 x 15 minutes at 80 - 90%, worked out at around 84% - 212 watts. So a good solid 45 minutes of work there.

P5 with Frank now in Richies in Swords, hopefully it'll be good to go Saturday, would like to get out on it before then :o

Wednesday 31st June

Swim CSS/Threshold - Goldilocks

A swim smooth session:

100 easy freestyle
    100 pull buoy ↑ B5s ↓ B3s
    2 x 50 fins
    1) 25 6/1/6 + 25 freestyle
    2) 50 broken arrow
    100 pull buoy and optional paddles
    100 freestyle moderate pace
    2 x 50 pull buoy (12 ½ scull # 1 + 12 ½ doggy paddle + 25 freestyle)

3 x 100 freestyle (25 easy + 25 moderate + 25 fast + 25 easy) (+10s)

All at CSS/100 pace and all with 25sec recovery between each.

3 x 100
    1 x 200 (Baby Bear)

3 x 100
    1 x 300 (Mamma Bear)

3 x 100
    1 x 400 (Papa Bear)

100 choice

Loved it. In keeping with my "be gentle" to myself I slipped on the buoyancy shorts and therefore I was able to hit 1:40/100 pace for all the baby, moma and papa. Very pleased with my pacing.

Dist 2800m; Pace 1:43/100;

Run Easy with sprints

Lovely evening, just 30 minutes with 5 x 15 second "sprints" thrown in.

Dist 5.8km; Pace 5:21/km; HR 148bpm;

First run in 10 days, not including the run at Cutra. I really have to prioritise running now because it's where I struggle the most and is always the session I drop when I feel like dropping a session. Seems like I can get away with a crap diet when swimming and biking but running is not so forgiving :o

I'll sort you a transfer if you decide to race Bth

Cheers, gotta give the crowd what they want ;)

Thursday 2nd June

Bike sweet spot

60 mins with high cadence, build, 3 x 8 minutes at 90-95% (2 minutes recovery) and finished with sprints. This was tough but rewarding. 234 watts for the 3 sweet spots. The first was a struggle, I think I wasn't ready mentally for how tough it was going to be. I was mentally ready for the last two though and it made a difference. It wasn't really difficult just a nice step up from tempo.

Last day of school today, whoop whoop! Quiet down the back jealous folks, pipe down! So I hope I get more consistent from now on and also reintroduce strength and flexibility as well as OW swims. I have wasted the last 4 summers wallowing somewhat, well I will make everyday count this summer. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Looks like there might be a bit of a chop on the water sun. But to be expected over these parts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Looks like there might be a bit of a chop on the water sun. But to be expected over these parts..

I had my first OW swim of the year today. Went out to Blackrock. I was tossed around like a rag doll. Sunday should be good craic - all 1200m of it :cool:

End of year party last night...head on me today! Going to get on the bike for an hour, should be the better for it. Missed yesterday's swim and run too. P5 still not ready so it's the road bike tomorrow. Don't know what the delay is tbh, no communication from the shop since leaving it with them on Tuesday! Rang on Thursday but it seemed they had even looked at it, rang today and they said they'd ring back but that's 5 hours ago. There are only 2/3 small jobs to be done so I can't understand what the delay is. Maybe it's been stolen and they don't know how to break the news

Hopefully not!!

Forgot my race (run) shoes, anyone know if there will be a vendor there tomorrow morning selling lock laces and the like. No biggie, I've my Kinvara they will do. Anyone got spare lock laces even?

Glad I went out but god I feel tired. Did 67 minutes easy. Looking forward to tomorrow although the early start is a pain. I don't mind the rough sea conditions, from what I remember I usually do fairly well in those conditions. The bike route from what I can remember can get really congested with cars and tractors and the like. The early start will help that but anyone well down on the swim might run into the traffic. The run will hurt but I'm prepared mentally now for that. I've fond memories of this event, got my first top 10 here and my first podium. The weather is consistently horrific too :P

• Advertisement

The bike route from what I can remember can get really congested with cars and tractors and the like

Sure we're all farmers over here😕

Back to big boy racing today and my first sprint since I don't know when. Up at 5:10am to have breakie and register at 7. I really don't mind the early starts but I'd prefer to be racing around midday when it's a little warmer. Hit off for Galway, very showery and some bright sunny spells too :rolleyes::cool:.

Got set up in transition, no warm up, into wetsuit and on to briefing where it p1ssed down on us, it got really cold too.

Swim

I found the start a little confusing, into the water as I thought it was a waist height start, then we were called out again and told to slowly walk in. Next thing I know everyone seemed to just go for it so I off I went. I was a good bit behind already but I just took my time and worked my way through. It was rough as hell out there, I didn't find it too bad in terms of being bumped around I just went with it but there was a big swell. I actually enjoyed it I must say, really enjoyed it. I came out with Catweazle almost hand in hand :p

Time 19:13; Pos 27/165

T2

This one wasn't too bad

Time 1:28; Pos 30/165

Bike

Strong headwind on the way out, had the clip-ons on the roadie and tried to stay down as much as I could. I passed 15 or so and 5/6 passed me including P Gibbo. I was glad to get to the turn around and get the wind at my back. Hit my target of 240 watts. Dismount went well.

Time 37:36; Dist 20.5km; Speed 33.6kph; AP 241; NP 251; Cad 84; AHR 164; Pos 21/165;

T2

Having to tie your laces is a pain and must have cost me 40 seconds I'd say.

Time 1:24; Pos 107/165;

Run

I wasn't in the hurt locker as much as last week, I paced it WAY better. Very please with that. My km splits were very even even considering the strong headwind for the last 2.4km or so.

Time 21:02; Pace 4:22/km; AHR 173bpm; Cad 85; Pos 32/165;

Overall

Time 1:20:43; Pos 20/165;

A great day out. I really enjoyed it. It was great to meet up with so many old pals :) BTH, CW, P Gibbo -great to see you guys. Rob I heard you being mentioned over the sound system but didn't see you, next time dude. I have loads of room for improvement thats for sure and I have a whole summer ahead to do so :)

(written in haste, excuse the typo's!)

Great racing well done. You looked strong on the run.
    Sorry had to head earlier than planned the boys were getting cold and hungry.

Good to see you back on the wagon ElD. Westport in a couple of weeks??

And in more important news, despite giving up a full 2min to gibbo on the run (which was fully expected) I had enough of a gap before that to take the mods title by 1:25. :D:) :cool:

Training is overrated.

BTH wrote: »

And in more important news, despite giving up a full 2min to gibbo on the run (which was fully expected) I had enough of a gap before that to take the mods title by 1:25. :D:) :cool:

Training is overrated.

I'd like to do Westport actually but it's sold out now, I'll try to see if I can swing a transfer. I'd like a front row seat for Gibbo V BTH 2!

Training is overrated.

:D we'll have to get mossy up next time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    :D we'll have to get mossy up next time

your aim should be on making sure you win the mods battle next time, not making arrangements so you're not last mod home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Swim

I found the start a little confusing, into the water as I thought it was a waist height start, then we were called out again and told to slowly walk in. Next thing I know everyone seemed to just go for it so I off I went. I was a good bit behind already but I just took my time and worked my way through. It was rough as hell out there, I didn't find it too bad in terms of being bumped around I just went with it but there was a big swell. I actually enjoyed it I must say, really enjoyed it. I came out with Catweazle almost hand in hand :p

Time 19:13; Pos 27/165

Dont know how you enjoyed that, one of the roughest swims I ever did, made a real try to hold the leading pack as I went off, failed miserably and then blew up royally with exhaustion. The small panic attacks then started as I had no energy to fight the bigger swells as we went out. Took me till after the 1st buoy to get the head back together again. It never really seemed to be pushing us along at any stage the angle it was coming in

All in all though I enjoyed the day and the enthusiasm swept me up to do Westport next week as well - 2 triathlons in a calendar year is a serious upsurge in commitment from me

catweazle wrote: »
    Dont know how you enjoyed that, one of the roughest swims I ever did, made a real try to hold the leading pack as I went off, failed miserably and then blew up royally with exhaustion. The small panic attacks then started as I had no energy to fight the bigger swells as we went out. Took me till after the 1st buoy to get the head back together again. It never really seemed to be pushing us along at any stage the angle it was coming in

All in all though I enjoyed the day and the enthusiasm swept me up to do Westport next week as well - 2 triathlons in a calendar year is a serious upsurge in commitment from me

I don't know why but I've always enjoyed those type of swims! For someone who blew up royally you had a great swim!

Since Salthill I have done 2 sessions and ate like a pig. Fell off the waggon I guess. Actually the last 3 weeks have been absolute pants, 7 sessions in total.

So, starting tomorrow I am back on the waggon! Westport will be about appropriate pacing/taking it handy and enjoying it.

I don't know why but I've always enjoyed those type of swims! For someone who blew up royally you had a great swim!

Since Salthill I have done 2 sessions and ate like a pig. Fell off the waggon I guess. Actually the last 3 weeks have been absolute pants, 7 sessions in total.

So, starting tomorrow I am back on the waggon! Westport will be about appropriate pacing/taking it handy and enjoying it.

Call it a taper for your A Race

I did blow up royally but only for a short time, once I got my breath back a little i was able to dial it back to a more sustainable effort. Will see you in Westport myself - looking promising for a sunny day :cool:

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Call it a taper for your A Race

I did blow up royally but only for a short time, once I got my breath back a little i was able to dial it back to a more sustainable effort. Will see you in Westport myself - looking promising for a sunny day :cool:

Now wouldn't that be nice for a change!! See you there dude.

Thursday 15th June

Swim Technique

Just a handy one to try and kick start me again. Went for a stretch and roll first. Felt nice to be back in the pool. Usually I'm annoyed at myself for leaving it so long and frustrated but I'm trying to take it easy on myself and I just accept that I'll go through days/weeks like that where I don't feel up to it.

Bike

I'm falling in love all over again! On the P5 for the first time since Feb 2014. Basically doubled the miles on the clock. It's a dream. The training wheels are **** and heavy but even still. The Di2 Ultegra is so satisfying. No plan, just went out with a mate and did what I felt like. Turned out I wanted to just go fast, small bursts, no looking at the garmin, in fact it was in my pocket. My mate took a cool video, didn't know he was doing it but it was good to see that my position looks good, fairly flat back and there was very little rocking. But then again I wasn't pushing it.

I trained today. Twice. I feel good about things again :) I'm tired now though :P

I'm tired now though :P

Epic taper ;)

Epic taper ;)

I think I've over done the taper and over done it today :) it's a lot better than doing nothing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I trained today. Twice. I feel good about things again :) I'm tired now though :P

That's what it's all about :) Delighted you're getting a buzz from training again.

Best of luck in Westport this weekend, weather is looking good :)

Bike

I'm falling in love all over again! On the P5 for the first time since Feb 2014. Basically doubled the miles on the clock. It's a dream. The training wheels are **** and heavy but even still. The Di2 Ultegra is so satisfying. No plan, just went out with a mate and did what I felt like. Turned out I wanted to just go fast, small bursts, no looking at the garmin, in fact it was in my pocket. My mate took a cool video, didn't know he was doing it but it was good to see that my position looks good, fairly flat back and there was very little rocking. But then again I wasn't pushing it.

I trained today. Twice. I feel good about things again :)I'm tired now though :P

That's just an age thing ;):pac:

@neady83 thanks! I need to catch up on your log next week and I look forward to it too :)

@pgibbo I don't subscribe to the old thing Gibbo, I've 9 to 10 good years left I feel. Then 30 or so of being "very fit for my age" :) Under trained and unfit, that's something I do believe in :)

Friday 16th June

Run Easy

30 minutes easy. Was anything but. Had to walk 3 times to keep the HR down. Did it early doors in the park though and it was so lovely :)

Tomorrow the plan is swim comfortable and strong, bike fairly hard and then run within myself get HR under control and keep below the red line/threshold. I'm actually looking forward to it as the weather looks to be good :)

Saturday 17 June
    Westport NS Sprint - Race Report

At last a beautiful day for a race and a decent start time and on a Saturday too! Met BTH, P Gibbo and Catweazle before the race and grabbed a coffee with CW. Nice relaxed approach to the race.

The P5 race ready, me? Not so much...

ea899200-82a6-4fbe-9e39-a9ab3b2b8010.jpg

eb946589-9827-466f-a509-155d82e65268.jpg

Swim

Perfect conditions...finally! It was a water start, lined up between two red buoy's. Everyone seemed well behaved and no creeping forward, then we got the word that there was 8 minutes to the start. An audible, collective groan was heard and with everyone getting a bit anxious we were never likely to get a straight line again. Not that that matters really or ever happens anyway. Despite much calmer conditions I found this swim much rougher than Salthill two weeks previous, I'm pretty sure I was assaulted coming around the first buoy! On two or three occasions people decided to stand up randomly which was very annoying because i ran into them and that totally f's up ones rhythm. Still, not a bad swim overall

Dist 722m; Time 12:06; Pace 1:40/100m; Stroke Rate 58rpm; Pos 80/349;

T1

Into T1 with Catweazle once again, P Gibbo joined us there too. I couldn't for the life of me get my wetsuit open and had to ask CW for a bit of help! It only dawned after me that it was CW that had zipped me up before the swim, something fishy a foot I reckon! :)

Time 1:56;

Bike

A flat course and as I had the P5 under me with the race wheels I was really looking forward to this. The first 2/3 km's the surface is rough enough. As I was wearing the garmin on my wrist I couldn't really keep an eye on the numbers but my plan was to go by feel anyway as it was a sprint. I actually felt tired tbh but I still enjoyed it. At one stage there must have been a train of 20, no exaggeration, came by. I sat up for half a minute of so and then just tired to pick my way through best I could. A bike marshal came a long and their presence was enough to ensure the train broke up - good marshalling imo, no need for penalties, things just get bunched on a 10km stretch of road with 350 competitors.

Dist 20km; Time 34:07; Speed 35.2kph; AH 173; AP 256; NP 270; Cad 93;

Note: My FTP is 252. Perhaps I went too hard?

Run

Felt rough going onto the run, may have over cooked the bike but I think it has more to do with the fact that I'd done sweet F A running in 3 weeks. CW came by me just after we entered Westport House and I couldn't go with him, I was in survival mode. Then at 1km a bit of a sharp kick up in elevation, I thought to myself, "this may catch John out" as I know he was pushing it to drop me and, like me, wasn't expecting the sharp rise. It was a fleeting thought though because I almost had to walk the hill myself! Loved the run course though I must say and I felt a lot better after 3.5km and was able to pick it up somewhat.

Dist 4.7km; Time 22:35; AHR 173; Pace 4:48/km; Cad 84rpm;

Cannot praise this race enough. Well done Westport Tri and Tommie. Spent an hour or so eating with the lads after, it was nice not to be rushing off after, especially when the food was this good!!

Headed to Sligo after for Rovers V Galway United and a reasonable amount of pints :)

A great bunch of lads!

8a78bce7-a643-424a-bb7e-66071c6b2de5.jpg

After race care routine :)

6d462cde-de1d-4e3b-bc8f-bcd4840ba421.jpg

Sunday 18th June Chill/day off

Monday 19th June

Swim

Simple session to kick off the week. 10 x 100m off 1:50. Couldn't make the repeats after 4 so pushed the repeat time out to 2 minutes.
    Howth Aquathon- Short Course

Swim

Apart from going off course a couple of times this was a good swim. Happy with the pace and turnover.

Dist 767m; Time 11:52; Pace 1:33/100m; 56spm

Run

Felt grand and got into a decent rhythm, passed a good few in the first km. Had about 4 pass me. The hill that Joey mentioned was a bit of a bloody killer and it continued upwards all the way to the car park and turnaround although it did level out. Like Saturday I felt better in the last 1.5km, I just felt more confident in myself that I could pick up the pace a bit more.

Dist 3.46km; Time 14:51; Pace 4:18/km; Cadence 86rpm;

Finished 14th out of 99.

Nothing like some racing to get you motivated to train. Training update to come.

Nothing else entered at the moment but I'm thinking one more tri, an olympic one possibly Caroline Kearney and an aquabike - mad to do one of those! If i do CK, Aug 12th I will then switch focus to running for 5 weeks and the Dublin Half Marathon. Also hope to do the 10km (23rd July) and 10 mile (26thish of Aug) in the series.

Then to round things off perhaps an ultra/trail run of some description.

I hope the P5 found that bed comfortable :pac:

great craic on Saturday. Days like that make racing even more enjoyable that it already is.

If you don't do CK, the SoG are on the same day. Eugene is doing both AFAIK.

• Advertisement

he even booked it it's own bed!!

nice report, looks like a fun day.

Eugene is doing both AFAIK.

need to be careful, if he races enough it would almost count as training and how would he sandbag then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭joey100

What are you doing to the bike in the second picture?? Using a hair dryer to take off the back number??

Yep that hill in Howth is awful, kills any momentum and knocks you out of your rhythm. Once you reach the turnaround though it is pretty fast back to the finish, but running back down that hill is pretty bad too.

Christ could you find a picture where I look fatter :o

I may well do Loughrea myself now - I will be just back from holidays and will no doubt be even heavier again but its the only way I can see that I can dodge a wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great report, love the pics too :)

Are you a flash Gordon or a Sheldon fan?

Sheldon all the way I'm guessing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

now that ive seen everyones photos i can confirm that i was nowhere close to any of ye at any stage !!:D but i know the heads to look out for now ..

is the hairdryer for taking off the sticker .. effin things are impossible to get off

I used baby wipes. I'd never use a baby wipe on a child. They're lethal. I find them great for getting oil off my hands and cleaning the bike. They're good for removing the crap residue left from cheap race stickers too.

Must remember that P, I hate races that use cheap numbers that leave parts of them all over the seat post and helmet. I'd be careful of heat and carbon, they don't go too well together!

Spot the pale skinned non Galwegian in that photo. Need to get some sunbed recommendations from you lads. :)

Probably will do the CK/streets double header but I'll Defo only be "racing" one of them. 20 or so from work doing the streets and pints after, so unless herself pops over 2 weeks early it should be a good night.

ElD will get a shock when he awakes from his afternoon siesta at all the updates on his log. The joys of being a teacher :D

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    how would he sandbag then?
    but I'll Defo only be "racing" one of them. 20 or so from work doing the streets and pints after, so unless herself pops over 2 weeks early it should be a good night.

i think you just achieved Yoda level in sandbagging.

Ha, great catching up on my own log :)

@pgibbo I will definitely be only doing one or the other!

@joey100 & @woody forgot to say in my report, great catching up with you dude. I'm only messing in the picture tbh :cool: although I then thought i would dry components that may get rusty :rolleyes: I, like gibbo, use baby wipes usually however the P5 has a matt finish and the wipes are useless on it. So a bucket of warm soapy water and a sponge does the job nicely. As I was in the hotel it meant putting the bike in the bath :D As for the sticky bloody labels I find that the wipes only do an okay job, again, warm soapy water will get the sticky residue.

@neady both actually :cool:

@catweazle might do Loughrea so too, got to get my revenge! :P

Training

Tuesday 20th June Long Easy Bike

Clonsilla to Howth via Clontarf, Dollymount and Sutton. Wanted to do this for a long while and the day was savage so off I went. Through the city center too which wasn't as bad as I feared it might. I've heard a lot about Howth hill and did it twice from both sides, no biggie tbh. Loved the descents though :) Stopped for 20 minutes or so in Howth to take in the beauty of it all. There is a brilliant cycle lane 8.5km in length from Clontarf to Sutton roughly. Normally I avoid cycle paths but this was awesome, loved it. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable spin.

Time 2:26:37; Dist 62.9km; Speed 25.8kph; AHR 132; AP 182; NP 213; Cad 83;

Wednesday 21st June Swim - Threshold/CSS

Goldilock session again...

100 easy freestyle
    100 pull buoy ↑ B5s ↓ B3s
    2 x 50 fins
    1) 25 6/1/6 + 25 freestyle
    2) 50 broken arrow
    100 pull buoy and optional paddles
    100 freestyle moderate pace
    2 x 50 pull buoy (12 ½ scull # 1 + 12 ½ doggy paddle + 25 freestyle)

3 x 100 freestyle (25 easy + 25 moderate + 25 fast + 25 easy) (+10s)

All at CSS/100 pace and all with 25sec recovery between each. Set watch to 25 sec alert, stick with the beep - stop if needs be!

3 x 100
    1 x 200 (Baby Bear)

3 x 100
    1 x 300 (Mamma Bear)

3 x 100
    1 x 400 (Papa Bear)

100 choice

Finally a decent swim session. Used the buoyancy shorts again for baby, mama and papa bear bit. the first 7 100's came in at 1:38, the last two 1:41. The 200 pace - 1:40, the 300 - 1:41 and the 400 - 1:44. Wrecked after but very satisfied.

Dist 2800m; Pace 1:45/100;

Run Easy

Headed to the park as it was 28 degrees and I know a trail route that is 70% in the shade of trees. A lovely trail run. Did the first 10 minutes in my vibrams. I found it tough tough, had to walk numerous times, still better than nothing. Determined now to make a run session every other day at least.

Time 44:09; Dist 7.7km; Pace 5:44/km; AHR 153; Cad 80;

Thursday 22nd June

So for the first time in 6 months today will be shorter than the previous day...boo!

Gym

An hour of rolling, stretching, upper back, lower back, triceps, skipping and core including planks. Great to finally get back to this stuff. I really believe in the benefits of this work in terms of injury prevention and strength. Twice a week ideally.

Bike Tempo

Tempo session today, it was planned for 60 minutes on the turbo but I decided to get outside for it, for a number of reasons;

1) weather is too nice at the moment
    2) it's too hot indoors!
    3) I need to practice bike handling on the TT
    4) I need to practice keeping between a desired power interval on the road with all the variables, traffic, lights, cars, tractors, road surface, wind etc... this is easy on the turbo.
    5) sunlight, greenery and fresh country air all contribute to a better mood :)

So I decided to head towards Summerhill and once I got past Donboyne I'd start the tempo work. 2 x 20 minutes at 80-90% with 4 minute recovery. The 2 intervals came in at around 84%. Then I finished off with 5 x 15 second sprint, 45 seconds easy and then coasted home.

Really enjoyed the second tempo as the wind was behind me. A good hit out, goal achieved.

Time 1:23:09; Dist 40.4km; AHR 135; AP 185; NP 202; Cad 87; Speed 29.1kph;

Now...siesta time :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

The new cycle lane is class, should be more of that around to take cyclists off the busy roads, another guy killed yesterday I think. Don't know why there isn't more dedicated routes.

Edit
    Prime time on just now talking about it. Talking about 1.5meters making a difference. What a load of ****e.

Nothing Friday (wedding), Saturday or Sunday. So already broke my run every other day rule. I'll just have to restart that rule as I feel it's a good one!

Monday 26th June

Gym 25 minutes of rolling, stretching, glute activation and core.

Swim Technique

100s
    100p

2 x 50, 15 scull 1, 35 fs
    2 x 50, 15 scull 2, 35 fs
    2 x 100, 6/1/6 down, fs back
    2 x 100, broke arrow down, fs back
    14 x 100, alt paddles/buoy and fs

100s
    100p

Good start to the week. The 100's went out to 1:51 by the end which reflects current fitness which is cool, I'm happy to have been in the pool.

Run

I was in the area so I hit the Bray/Greystones cliff trail. I've wanted to do it for a long time. Wow, it did not disappoint! It was a lovely warm day which helped. I parked up in Bray and off I went. The plan was to make the 1:30 Dart back to Bray from G'stones. Paid no heed to HR as I am unfit and if I was being a stickler for staying in Z2 I'd be mostly walking. I checked the data after and I was mostly in Z4! I just wanted to enjoy the run. I did stop on about 4 occasions as I wanted to take some pictures so that helped get the HR down. The trail is amazing and not busy on a Monday afternoon. Bumped into the irish goalkeeper, Darren Randolph too! Pushed on at the end as I was cutting it close to the 1:30 Dart. I got there with 2 minutes to spare but I just couldn't find the bloody entrance. Missed it and had to wait around for the 2 o'clock. No biggie, stretched and soaked up the sun.

Time 41:42; Dist 7.7km; Pace 5:25/km; AHR 158; Cad 80rpm;

Tuesday 27th June

Gym

Roll
    Stretch
    Glute activation
    Dead lift
    Squat
    Lunges
    Lower back
    Core

Time 60 minutes

Races for the second half of 2017

The first half of 2017 is pretty much done so I have decided on my remaining races for 2017:

July

Wednesday 5th - Phen Park Duathlon (got a transfer from the May race)
    Monday 17th - Howth Long Course
    Saturday 23rd - Fingal 10k

August

Saturday 12th - Caroline Kearney or Streets of Galway, hopefully CK as I want to do a olympic distance race and this is really the only one that suits
    Saturday 26th - Frank Duffy 10 mile

September

Sat 9th - Athlone Sprint Relay

October

Sat 7th - Galway Bay Half Marathon

December

Sat 2nd - Jingle Bells

I'd also like to do some IMRA races but I wouldn't be racing them, just doing them for enjoyment and it would be good for muscular endurance.

What about October 21st??????

That's some serious planning ahead there! A december race in already. Good to have something to work towards.

Caroline Kearney is a great race, if you want to go fast I don't think there is a better Olympic distance race to do it. A good standard expected as well with it being the National Champs, always a great race though and for my money probably the best race I have done.

joey100 wrote: »
    That's some serious planning ahead there! A december race in already. Good to have something to work towards.

Caroline Kearney is a great race, if you want to go fast I don't think there is a better Olympic distance race to do it. A good standard expected as well with it being the National Champs, always a great race though and for my money probably the best race I have done.

I did it many moons ago and remember really enjoying it. Will be a very high standard as you say with it being the national championship and the central location. Then it's mostly a run focus until after the half marathon, 3 week break then.

Oct 21st P??:confused:

What about October 21st??????

Ah the Mourne Mountain Skyline 35km! Sounds just like what I was looking for and the perfect timing really but...sold out in a matter of hours back in March. Must try to get an entry somehow though.

Ah the Mourne Mountain Skyline 35km! Sounds just like what I was looking for and the perfect timing really but...sold out in a matter of hours back in March. Must try to get an entry somehow though.

There's still entries for 29th Oct..

• Advertisement
Advertisement