Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control-Alt-Delete.........RESTART!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Here is to a better, healthier 2015!:cool:

You and me both buddy. Good to see you back in these parts. Only a parttimer myself these days. 2013 and 2014 were complete write offs, despite actually getting some off season training done. Some will tell me not to expect 2015 to be any different but I NEED it to go better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

BTH wrote: »
    You and me both buddy. Good to see you back in these parts. Only a parttimer myself these days. 2013 and 2014 were complete write offs, despite actually getting some off season training done. Some will tell me not to expect 2015 to be any different but I NEED it to go better!!!

Yeah same as that for me for 2013 and '14. 2012 was decent and I really should have pushed on, I have not reached my full potential and nor will I in 2015 but I just want a solid year. At least you won a race dude (does not matter the leve to me, a win is a win!), thats a big goal of mine. Anyway best of luck in 2015 man.

Gym and run tomorrow.

Monday

10 minute run and gym session, mainly machines for the legs and lower back. The vibrations hurt the hand when running but seemed to improve as it went on.

Tuesday

45 min on the turbo.

Weds

20 min run and gym session.

Hand has improved greatly over the last 48hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nice to have you back logging. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Nice to have you back logging. :)
    +1 Welcome back I missed you round here!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys!

It's been going fairly well. Keeping motivated...it's sticking this time. Lost 2.2kg last week! Amazing what a clean diet and a bit of exercise can do! :)

No swimming still but the hand has quadrupled in strength in 10 days. Now at 18kg/square inch. Enjoying the gym sessions.

So weekly updates will have to do for now. Nothing much to report, as in there is no secret to losing weight and there are thousands of blogs on that.

I am just following some simple guidelines:

Exercise everyday
    Cut sugar out as much as I can
    Cut wheat out as much as I can
    No take aways
    Burn more calories than I consume.

I am on target after two weeks-target into lose 0.75kg per week. I have my progress usable in my kitchen for one and all to view, it's a daily reminder and I find it motivating. Plus I LOVE trend graphs, especially when it is I that has the power to control the trend 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Your 2s are swirly! And I love your "old school" graph!

P.S. - well done! :)

So...it's been a while, just over 2 years! There has been nothing Triathlon related to report for all that time. Between one thing and another, mostly stress related, I fell out of love with the sport and started binge eating pretty much.

I was very active until June 2013 in triathlon. My last race was Feb 2014, a duathlon in Ballinrobe. 3 years ago. My last triathlon was the Hell of The West in June 2013😬 Long story short I piled on 4 stone (25.4kg), this had me at 104kg and the heavier I got the tougher it was to get back to exercise. All my life I was active and sporty so this new reality was hard to accept. Then on the 27th of Aug 2016 (then and now pic attached) I played a game of soccer, I was disgusted about how unfit I was. So I had the bright idea to try and lose weight by just cleaning up my diet and when I got to 90kg I'd start training again. I started to count my calories and just ensured what I was putting in was less than what I was burning. Simple maths. The My Fitness Pal app was great for this. I only needed to count calories for two weeks, after that I was used of it and let's face it, if we are honest with ourselves we know what we should be eating anyway. Anyway...the weight fell off. 3.5 stone in 4 months. It was rapid. The big mistake I made was not upping my protein intake and doing some mild exercise because I lost an awful lot of muscle mass. Once I realised this I got on it and it only took 2 or 3 weeks to gain some muscle mass. I'm at 79kg now and I want to just maintain that. I'm still really unfit but the hard bit is done and I've been training regularly for the last 6 weeks and feel great! The plan is to do some racing as this is what I love doing.

The pic...

On the left 27 Aug 2016, 104kg. On the right 21st Dec 2016 82kg. Amazing what can be done in 4 months with making the right food choices alone, yes, no exercise at all went into the loss of 22kg (3.5 stone). It wasn't even about clean/healthy food, it was more about total calories in < total calories burnt - so quantity, portion control. I was running a calorie deficit, no specific number in mind, usually 100 - 300 a day. When I hit around that mark - no more eating for that day, usually about 7pm that happened. Nothing until breakfast then. On reflection it got me to where I wanted and the thoughts of running and cycling are not as daunting now. Lighter means way easier in those two particular pursuits and more, way more, enjoyable. However, as I said above I wish I had done a bit of exercise during the weight loss period - I lost a lot of lean muscle mass. Even some gym/weights or swimming would have done the trick. That's the only thing I would have done differently. All good now though, muscle mass back to where it should be, only took three or four weeks.

I have labelled two races as "A" races BUT the main goal for 2017 is to just enjoy racing and training. I love racing, I love the whole day/evening, getting ready for it, meeting people, the coffee/pint and chat after so I will race a lot this year, especially smaller mid-week ones. It's all about keeping healthy and doing what makes me happy 😊

I wanted to do a middle distance in August as this would give me enough time to put miles in the legs. Then I saw the price. F#*k that. No other middle distance really suits so I opted for an olympic distance around that time - Caroline K. Must buy my entry soon. My other "A" race is the dublin half marathon.

I'll update the log when I can. I wonder who still reads these? Any of my old friends around anymore? 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Welcome back dude. Keep up the good work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Good to see you back, now get some miles on that lovely bike of yours! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Jaysis....I wouldn't have picked you out of a line up in pic on the left! Good to see you back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Fair play to you, great to see that a change in attitude and paying attention to portion size can really make a change. Welcome back, looking forward to seeing you at the start line in Lilliput

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

Tis good to see one of the old regulars back.

Thanks folks! Great to be back.

Where am I at?

Swim

Strangely enough this is the discipline that I feel I have least amount of work to do. My body position and technique isn't too bad. I'm lacking fitness and endurance of course but that will come.

My stroke rate is quite low at about 44 strokes per minute so that's an area to target.

I did a 1000TT, just for the craic like, on Feb 17th. Time 19:48, 44 strokes per minute

This week I did a CCS Test
    400TT: 7:09
    100's: 1:44; 1:49: 1:47; 1:48. Stroke rate of 50

200TT: 3:25
    100's: 1:40; 1:46. Stroke rate of 52

Happy to see an improvement in my stroke rate over the last 3 weeks. CCS therefore is 1:52/100m

Bike

I was delighted to find out that I still, oddly, like doing turbo sessions 😊 happy days. For the last 5/6 weeks I've been just doing 2 a week with some build and sprints thrown in. I've also done two big gear sessions in the last two weeks - live those.

I had an FTP of 300 3 years ago, no idea where I am now but I would guess somewhere between 220 and 240. I'll do an FTP in two weeks time.

Run

Struggling with running to be honest but still enjoying it. I did one of the awesome, free run in the park in Boyle, Forest Park on Feb 4th

Dist: 4.86km
    Time: 27:03

So lots to do on the run.

Sleep

I was surviving on 3 to 4 hours sleep for the guts of 3 years I'd say. Happy to say that I'm getting a good 7 to 8 now, massive difference! We got a new bed too, super king size, bloody amazing 😊I get to bed before 9:30 most nights now.

Nutrition

A bit hit and miss but at least I'm totally gone off take aways now! 😬 I'm supplementing with Vit D, C and protein.

Consistency

This can certainly be improved. I'm not getting my endurance sessions done in the bike or run. Swimming, no problem, I've hit 3 sessions per week for 4 weeks.

This is definitely my no. 1 objective for the next two months.

So that's where I'm at in a nutshell. I'm still preparing for training, I'll do 3 Base Phases, the first base will start in April.

Sat 11th March

This weekend was supposed to be a start on those long bike and runs. Well it was pissing rain this morning and I am not that commited (yet ;)) This morning was my window for the spin so I missed it. Got in a 35min easy run though.

Dist 5.63; Time 35:21; Pace 6:16/km; AHR 151;

What a glorious afternoon it turned out to be, I was too warm and had to remove layers!

Sunday 12th March

I did a trail run with a mate from home. It's the Suck Valley Way, about 110km of off road/bog. There are 8 sections in total and for years I've wanted to do it so myself and my mate will break it up into sections. We did just over 7km, Ballymoe to Castlerea section. It was beautiful. ☺️ I'm back in love with nature again ☺️ I'm still having to walk on these runs to keep HR down.

Dist 7.3km; Time 48:26; AHR 162; Pace 6:40/km

My longest run in years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good to see you back M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great to see logs being resurrected, it's far too quiet around these parts. I wasn't here when you were logging previously El Director so looking forward to following your progress this year :) Hope it goes really well for you and you enjoy every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Welcome back Mr G. Hope the old trisuit still fits.

• Advertisement

@Neady83 thanks dude! I see you did The Race - looking forward to the report and following you too!

@MojoMaker thank you :) I've a few trisuits and they all fit again! So does the wetsuit, all of which is a relief as I am on a strict budget these days.

@jackyback thanks man. I hope you and the family are keeping well. I look forward to hearing about your next/new adventures!

No training today - planned rest day.

joey100 wrote: »
    Good to see you back, now get some miles on that lovely bike of yours! ;)

I was so close to selling it a few times but deep down I always felt that I would re-discover my mojo and I would regret selling it. Especially after I put it together over two years and there was no way in the world I'd get what it was worth.

It used to pain me to think I only got one ride on it before the wheels came off so to speak (not literally ;) ) When I realised that I'd be able for a few races this year I was initially worried what people would think, I'd rock up with my P5 and then placed way down the field but now I'm thinking f@!k it and f@!k what others think! I just can't wait to be out there, there were dark days when I thought I never would get back to it...anyway this time next year I'll be back to my best :p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

......but now I'm thinking f@!k it and f@!k what others think!:p:o

Amen!

+1 M great to see you back and with some Mojo! I'm still around, although lurking more than posting and I will certainly read this (as I do many of the logs).

As always love your attitude man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I wouldn't worry about turning up on the P5. Plenty of P5's and similar in transition with lads who wouldn't be that fast on them. If you can afford it, why not! Turn up, race your race, enjoy it, and if people give out cos your on a bike your not 'fast' enough for don't bother with them. It's just a form of snobbery/elitism, if your enjoying yourself who cares.

Amen!

+1 M great to see you back and with some Mojo! I'm still around, although lurking more than posting and I will certainly read this (as I do many of the logs).

As always love your attitude man

Mike! Great to hear from you. Glad you are still around :)

@joey100 you are right dude. I intend to enjoy myself :)

Tuesday

It was such a nice day I opted to get outside instead of the turbo. Ended up doing 14 minutes over the planned. Lovely to get out there.

Time 54:47; Dist 23.2km; Cad 87; AHR 148; AP 155; NAP 181;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great to see you back El D. Its been a while since Rosses point Oly 2013 when I met you first and you wupped my ass on that cold Sligo day in May.
    Best of luck.

Abhainn wrote: »
    Great to see you back El D. Its been a while since Rosses point Oly 2013 when I met you first and you wupped my ass on that cold Sligo day in May.
    Best of luck.

Hey man, thanks very much! I remember that god awful day! What races have you planned? Do you have a log?

Wednesday 15th 2017

Tempo run on the menu today - my first! I used to love these and I'm happy to report I enjoyed today as well. Sometimes slow running can be painful - mentally and on the body because it's easy to drift mentally on those runs and your form suffers as a result, for me this mans pains in my hip! Decent pace makes it easier to hold form, for me anyway. So 15 minutes tempo as in (3 minutes tempo, 1 min recovery) X 5. I walked to get the HR down on the recoveries and was happy to see it only took 20 seconds or so.

Time 32:39; Dist 5.8km; AHR 151; Ave Cad 160;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

What races have you planned? Do you have a log?
    No log.
    Been managing an injury last 13 months but it's finally too much and is preventing me doing London Marathon. Getting surgery at end of the month.
    Tentatively planning a big marathon in Sept and its not Berlin.

No tri's since 2015 and that was just the one - IM CPH. No more planned either. Though keeping some swimming up and forced back on bike recently.

Looking forward to keeping up with your progress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Abhainn wrote: »
    No log.
    Been managing an injury last 13 months but it's finally too much and is preventing me doing London Marathon. Getting surgery at end of the month.
    Tentatively planning a big marathon in Sept and its not Berlin.

No tri's since 2015 and that was just the one - IM CPH. No more planned either. Though keeping some swimming up and forced back on bike recently.

Looking forward to keeping up with your progress

Best of luck with the surgery & the recovery Joe!!!!

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the surgery & the recovery Joe!!!!

+1

Thursday 16th 2017

Swim - CCS/Threshold session

Enjoyed this session. Need to work on pacing but I was close to my CCS of 1:52/100for the 200's and the 300

Dist 2,100m

Bike - Turbo, Big Gear session

3rd time in 3 weeks doing this session, still preparing myself for a proper structured plan. 3 minutes BG, 2 min recovery X 4. Proceeded by a 10 minute WU and then 5 minutes of 30sec build, 30 recover and finished off with 15 seconds sprint, 45 easy and then 10 minute cool down. Tough is how I found it!

Time 50 minutes; AHR 130; AP 136; NP 164;

Advertisement