Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort or people listen to WLRFM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

I actually like his show. Nice to see someone knew considering the rest are on the radio since nineteen eighty something playing the same tune every single day. It's like groundhog day listening to WLRFM.

a Spotify playlist is called for methinks???any one bothered??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Teebor15 wrote: »
    His show is grand and he seems like a "Sound out" lad but he doesn't need to remind us every 2.3 seconds of the name of the show and who presents it.

I agree with the groundhog day. Same songs day after day after day. Normally switch off after Tiernan who is a huge step up from Eamon and Billy.

Rick Whelan is just nuts. He goes off talking about something then it's like he has no idea where he's going with it and you're genuinely left wondering just what the fcuk is he on about.

Yeah that could get irritating. Who did he replace?

https://onlineradiobox.com/ie/wlrfm/playlist

You're welcome....ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭iseegirls

niallo76 wrote: »
    Never seen this before - very interesting site and details.

Can look back at Beat's playlist yesterday and see that such songs like Taylor Swift's The Man was played 4 times - going to show that do indeed repeat songs indefinitely daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

WLR-IMRO Local station of the year.
    sure gets a lot of airplay.

• Advertisement

sure gets a lot of airplay.

Well,they have mentioned it a few times alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

No coincidence that it came on their 30th anniversary. Those imro awards are some joke

If there is someone from Open Tempo reading this could you please use a track ID software programme, it's the worst aspect of the station -hearing something really groovy and not knowing a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

If there is someone from Open Tempo reading this could you please use a track ID software programme, it's the worst aspect of the station -hearing something really groovy and not knowing a thing about it.

Keep Shazam running as a background app ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

Then you have Sound out with me Tony Kelly doing Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Tony Kelly here on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Tony Kelly with me Sound out on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. Your listening to Sound out with me Tony Kelly and we're going to give away a Sound out with me Tony Kelly hat here on Sound out with me Tony Kelly straight after the break on Sound out with me Tony Kelly. 🀯

Anyone know who presents that Sound out program?

Tonight is his last show apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Teebor15

PatM65 wrote: »
    Tonight is his last show apparently.

Jaysus, I was only making an observation, he's doing a grand job, didn't think he'd take it so seriously! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

Jaysus, I was only making an observation, he's doing a grand job, didn't think he'd take it so seriously! :confused:

https://twitter.com/thisistonykelly/status/1243974707042570241?s=19

PatM65 wrote: »

I think you may find many radio stations will start going "automatic" for non peak hours broadcasts until the pandemic passes. Just music with jingles. Watch this space......

91wx763 wrote: »
    I think you may find many radio stations will start going "automatic" for non peak hours broadcasts until the pandemic passes. Just music with jingles. Watch this space......

Nothing new for the old order of djs in WLR.They've been on ''automatic" for quite a while now....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

niallo76 wrote: »
    Nothing new for the old order of djs in WLR.They've been on ''automatic" for quite a while now....

Is Ray C gone too? John O'S was covering his show earlier, and doing a great job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'll pass on the request but being honest you may be able to get some to implement this, bit definitely not all!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Is Ray C gone too? John O'S was covering his show earlier, and doing a great job too.

Deise today replay now on at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Gardner

I'll pass on the request but being honest you may be able to get some to implement this, bit definitely not all!

There was a few decent shows on Open Tempo. the saturday sports show was better than any of the ****e that WLR produce. Now there is a department that needs a huge overall.
    Also there was a decent heavy/death metal show and another show used to blast out anything from Pearl Jam to Rory Gallagher. when they all finished i stopped listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They change when the djs change alright, the Saturday sports show if I remember correctly had to go for legal reasons why one of those involved got into a bit of bother doing stuff they shouldn't have and wouldn't back down.

There is still some good stuff on it, but tbf you won't please everyone anyway, good friend of mine does a Friday show that some people absolutely love and tune into weekly but it definitely wouldn't be for everyone, same as that polish rap show.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Gardner

They change when the djs change alright, the Saturday sports show if I remember correctly had to go for legal reasons why one of those involved got into a bit of bother doing stuff they shouldn't have and wouldn't back down.

There is still some good stuff on it, but tbf you won't please everyone anyway, good friend of mine does a Friday show that some people absolutely love and tune into weekly but it definitely wouldn't be for everyone, same as that polish rap show.

never knew that. easy known who put an end to that so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Think a more relevant question is what sort of people work in WLR FM?

Not a big listener of WLR just try to catch the local news and interviews on subjects I’m interested in. They would make you facepalm they are so bad! Nobody there seems to know how to correctly use the studio controls. They can’t write news stories correctly on their website, the English and grammar is embarrassing. They often don’t know the correct title or pronunciation of local place names. Remember one time the news reader could not pronounce Slievekeale; Waterford Local Radio and they did not know how to say Slievekeale! Another time the presenter kept calling John Roberts Square “The Square”. The Square is not even a term used for the area for god sake. Is the concept that The Square in Dungarvan and John Roberts Square are two different places too hard to understand and get the names correct. The amount of time they spend promoting and talking about Cork is ridiculous again considering it is Waterford Local Radio.

Surely, when hiring presenters and producers in WLR a strong knowledge of Waterford is a minimum. Apparently not.

Okay you've now got me worried that I'm not pronouncing Slievekeale correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Okay you've now got me worried that I'm not pronouncing Slievekeale correctly.

Phonetically

Shlave-kale

should be close. ;)

So not Sleeve-keel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭azimuth17

For those interested in the etymology of such things I believe it is from the irish, the "narrow way"into town. Slay kale boy! Hennessy's Road used to be called "Bottomy" from the English, the"bottom way" into town. I wonder how many on here have even heard that expression? The main road into town was The Yellow Road". All three routes arrived at the West or St Patrick's Gate at the top of Patrick Street before the eponymous "New Gate" was built in Newgate Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

azimuth17 wrote: »
    For those interested in the etymology of such things I believe it is from the irish, the "narrow way"into town. Slay kale boy! Hennessy's Road used to be called "Bottomy" from the English, the"bottom way" into town. I wonder how many on here have even heard that expression? The main road into town was The Yellow Road". All three routes arrived at the West or St Patrick's Gate at the top of Patrick Street before the eponymous "New Gate" was built in Newgate Street.

I vaguely recall being told about that in primary school (Patricks St) back in the day.
    I guess it was of some interest because the city wall runs along the back of the school.
    While on the subject, I wonder how many remember the old Penitentiary building on Bottomy, just opposite where Roanmore Park meets Hennessy's Road?
    That was a fine structure, shame it was knocked.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Think a more relevant question is what sort of people work in WLR FM?

Not a big listener of WLR just try to catch the local news and interviews on subjects I’m interested in. They would make you facepalm they are so bad! Nobody there seems to know how to correctly use the studio controls. They can’t write news stories correctly on their website, the English and grammar is embarrassing. They often don’t know the correct title or pronunciation of local place names. Remember one time the news reader could not pronounce Slievekeale; Waterford Local Radio and they did not know how to say Slievekeale! Another time the presenter kept calling John Roberts Square “The Square”. The Square is not even a term used for the area for god sake. Is the concept that The Square in Dungarvan and John Roberts Square are two different places too hard to understand and get the names correct. The amount of time they spend promoting and talking about Cork is ridiculous again considering it is Waterford Local Radio.

Surely, when hiring presenters and producers in WLR a strong knowledge of Waterford is a minimum. Apparently not.

Their "playout" system has a mind of its own jumps around like a kangaroo, I've even heard accomplished persenters Andy McClusky and Timmy Ryan coming to an abrupt halt. DT seems to suffer most with it, spends his life apologizing for telephone sound quality too. There were big ISDN issues getting the signals from the Dungarvan studio and from the OB wagon a while back if I recall correctly.

@trickofthetail of this board who is an international expert in the broadcast production game (not used by WLR) may know the studio's technical specs that don't seem to work very well but I believe WLR have gone through quite a few tech blokes since the days of Gidio and Pat Maher (if he's still there he goes without mention).

The website, well look at the death page and it still refers to mice in Ned Kellys 3 months later.

The station applauds itself for its broadcasting foundation course, for want of another description it's "apprenticeship in radio" (to get cheap staff IMHO !), rather than having quality presenters with high standards when it reaches the ear of the listener.......

Sleeves for Howard

Note Andy McClusky is on the lunchtime show instead of Harris but with his name on the lunchtime jingle.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

91wx763 wrote: »
    Note Andy McClusky is on the lunchtime show instead of Harris but with his name on the lunchtime jingle.....

I think Andy Mac is covering Geoffs Holidays during the week.

Advertisement