Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frog spawn on the ground

Options
  • 28-02-2021 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Hello

I visit daily a small wildlife spot that has a little pond (about 2m long). I noticed spawn for the first time about 10 days ago, and there is more and more everytime I visit it.

Over the last 2 days I found pieces of the spawn on the ground, next to the pond. I know there are 2 foxes living in the site and I have seen a Grey Heron once. Other that that there are the usual garden birds.

The site is not open to the public (and dogs), and just 3 or 4 of us have access to it.

Could the fox have tried to take the spawnm and did not like it? I think the heron would have eaten it if it was him.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Could it have been in water but now the pond is shrinking by any chance?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Could it have been in water but now the pond is shrinking by any chance?.

Good point, but not in this case. It's an artificial pond and the spawn was located in a nearby path (2m away). The pond never reached the path.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we've found spawn once or twice near the pond. i have put it down to frogs being such randy buggers this time of year they'll hop on each other even before they get to the pond.

Advertisement