Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Certificate

Options
  • 13-01-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all,

A situation has arisen in work that I can't seem to find a good answer for online and wondered has anybody here had a similar experience.

Background. I work for a large employer who does not pay for any absence through sickness. No sick pay in other words. My contract states that the employer 'may ask for a medical certificate and failure to present one may result in disciplinary action'.

Yesterday the HR director sent out a company wide email stating that they had made a change to the absence policy and that all employees are now required to present a medical certificate from day 1 of illness absence.

My question is basically are they legally allowed to do this, especially with regard to the fact that they do not pay for illness?

Im trying my best to ignore the moral side of this. to do this in the middle of a pandemic when people already struggle to get appointments with their doctor is in my opinion disgraceful behaviour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes they are.

Most likely they've done it 'cos someone took the pi$s.

Your doctor can do a video consultation in most cases.

Talk to you TD about the importance of introducing compulsory paid sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Yes they are.

Most likely they've done it 'cos someone took the pi$s.

Your doctor can do a video consultation in most cases.

Talk to you TD about the importance of introducing compulsory paid sick leave.

Thanks Mrs,

Seems so wrong to me.

Advertisement