Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Dress Supplier Demand

Options
  • 16-01-2021 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

The shop I purchased my wedding dress in got on contact with me today to demand payment of the remaining outstanding amount. This is the first time I've been contacted in relation to payment and they are saying it's payable immediately. The dress has been in the shop since September, I was supposed to view the dress but we got stuck in traffic and missed our 15 minute allotted appointment slot and the shop told us to leave it and reschedule which we did.

Unfortunately this was then impacted by the Covid restrictions. I'm in a different county to the shop and because we aren't actually getting married now until late this year travel for a wedding dress wouldn't be deemed essential. I tried contacting the shop in October and got no answer so assumed they must have been closed.

The shop is telling me to pay immediately even though I haven't seen the dress. I said I'm happy to schedule an appointment for February when restrictions are loosened a bit and they're having none of it saying "other customers haven't been stopped at checkpoints" and the way Varadker is talking it could be March and they need the money.

Is this allowed? They're trying to get me to break covid rules to get the dress or pay them without seeing the dress (and an additional fee for then storing it). Am I mad to think this us incredibly unreasonable? Also, do I have to pay this without viewing the dress?

Any opinions and suggestions are welcome. I'm not sure if I'm looking at this from the wrong angle completely .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Did you sign a contract? Its standard to have to pay 50% when you order and 50% when the dress comes into the shop. I can understand them wanting payment immediately as they have something you've ordered but not making you travel for an unnecessary purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HarleenQuinzel

lazygal wrote: »
    Did you sign a contract? Its standard to have to pay 50% when you order and 50% when the dress comes into the shop. I can understand them wanting payment immediately as they have something you've ordered but not making you travel for an unnecessary purpose.

Yeah signed the usual contract and can understand them needing payment to be honest but the circumstances are working against us. Would it be standard to just pay even though you haven't seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Yeah signed the usual contract and can understand them needing payment to be honest but the circumstances are working against us. Would it be standard to just pay even though you haven't seen it?

You’ve ordered the goods, failed to turn up for your contracted appointment and failed to meet the financial terms of your contract with them. TBH it just sounds like you’ve changed your mind and are determined to put off paying as long as you can. No doubt you may pick up another wedding dress elsewhere but I’d be pretty surprised if your supplier didn’t start legal action for the outstanding balance against you - do you want bad feeling and solicitors costs added to your bill too? Drive to pick up your dress and pay your debts or you may easily end up in a big and costly legal mess - aNd it will be far more than the e100 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HarleenQuinzel

You’ve ordered the foods, failed to turn up for your contracted appointment and meet the terms of your contract with them. TBH it just sounds like you’ve changed your mind and are determined to put off paying as long as you can. No doubt you may pick up another wedding dress elsewhere but I’d be pretty surprised if your supplier didn’t start legal action for the outstanding balance against you - do you want bad feeling and costs added to your bill? Drive to pick up your dress and pay your debts or you may easily end up in a big and costly legal mess - aNd it will be far more than the e100 fine.

I really haven't changed my mind, I still love the dress and have bought all the accessories and ready to go. It's not about the fine, I take the restrictions in place very seriously as I'm sure most do. They're there for a reason and I'm not willing to break the rules currently in place... it really is just that. I've no interest in getting another dress, I'm not sure where in my original post that came across.

I don't think its unreasonable to wait a couple of weeks in hopes that even the 5k is loosened and I could even get a friend to go who is closer rather than pay a large lump sum over the phone without any comfort over what I'm paying for. Obviously you feel its not an unreasonable request so I appreciate your differing opinion. It's just something I have to give thought too and was interested to see what others were experiencing during covid and any resolutions they've found. Travelling myself to collect it outside of government guidelines however is not an option.

I would think you've no choice but to pay. They have fulfilled their side of the contract. It's not like you can decide not to pay if you put it on when you collect it and then decide you don't want it.
    They can easily courier it to you as a goodwill gesture. I'd ask that they do that on payment of the balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I think you’d be mad to pay without seeing it first. If your paying a large amount of money and it’s wrong when it arrives well then you haven’t much to fall back on. I’d insist on only paying when you visit the shop, what if it has a flaw or is wrong size? Buyer beware is first rule.
    Also it’s against government guidelines to travel, madness that people think it’s ok for you to. It’s not essential for you at minute as you dont need the dress immediately.

Other alternative would be to have it couriered to you and pay on arrival once you have checked it. Up to them to arrange it. Be careful they dont go out of business though and your left with no dress.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

They shouldn't be encouraging you to travel during the restrictions, but I completely understand them wanting to get paid.

I was originally supposed to get married in Sept 2020, but postponed to 2021. I got a call from the shop in July saying that my dress had arrived, that they wanted full payment and I'd need to collect it before the original wedding date (with so many people postponing, they just didn't have room to store them all).

I was happy to pay by phone in July. We were on staycation at the time, so it wasn't possible for me to collect the dress then. I didn't really think twice about it tbh. I made an appointment to try on and collect the dress in August instead.

I can see the logic in wanting to see the dress before paying for it. But if it's a reputable supplier, it's very unlikely that there'd be an issue. I know it's a lot of money, but think of everything else you pay for in advance without ever seeing the final item in advance (ANY online orders, including large expensive items like furniture). In the unlikely event that there is an issue, you should be entitled to a replacement, repair, refund (depending on the nature of the problem) under basic consumer rights.

They've been storing your dress for 4 months now and want to get paid. I think you should just pay them and collect the dress once restrictions ease.

woodchuck wrote: »
    They shouldn't be encouraging you to travel during the restrictions, but I completely understand them wanting to get paid.

I was originally supposed to get married in Sept 2020, but postponed to 2021. I got a call from the shop in July saying that my dress had arrived, that they wanted full payment and I'd need to collect it before the original wedding date (with so many people postponing, they just didn't have room to store them all).

I was happy to pay by phone in July. We were on staycation at the time, so it wasn't possible for me to collect the dress then. I didn't really think twice about it tbh. I made an appointment to try on and collect the dress in August instead.

I can see the logic in wanting to see the dress before paying for it. But if it's a reputable supplier, it's very unlikely that there'd be an issue. I know it's a lot of money, but think of everything else you pay for in advance without ever seeing the final item in advance (ANY online orders, including large expensive items like furniture). In the unlikely event that there is an issue, you should be entitled to a replacement, repair, refund (depending on the nature of the problem) under basic consumer rights.

They've been storing your dress for 4 months now and want to get paid. I think you should just pay them and collect the dress once restrictions ease.

I know what your saying here but I have had a very different experience. Dress is waiting for me to collect with a year, no problem and they understand final payment is once I have tried it in store. They obv need to check it over too and make sure customer is happy.

On a side note I have only ever paid for large expensive items of furniture ON arrival so we have had v different experiences there too! (Which is why I suggested they courier it to you and then you pay once it arrives and you check it over)

Personally I would be wary of paying before seeing it and trying it on.

Teach30, we obviously have had very different experiences. I guess it just depends on the suppliers themselves. In my experience, it's not unusual at all to be asked to pay in advance before receiving/seeing the final item, including very recent experiences with expensive furniture. In particular for weddings, think of all the suppliers you're expected to pay in advance of actually receiving their goods or services (e.g. venue, photographer, flowers, cake etc). That's great that your bridal shop are being so accommodating, but evidently others aren't in the same position, could be struggling financially and are dependent on having their customers pay their bills on time. Suppliers have been hit very hard by the pandemic and a lot just can't afford to have people putting off paying their bills indefinitely or paying extra for couriers.

In particular for weddings, think of all the suppliers you're expected to pay in advance of actually receiving their goods or services (e.g. venue, photographer, flowers, cake etc)..

On this, I’ve only heard of people paying the balance for these services after the wedding, particularly the hotel, photographer and flowers. Wouldn’t have occurred to me that people pay it all off beforehand. If your not happy with or don’t receive the service you have nothing to fall back on.

Just my experience, we won’t be paying full price on any services until after they have been received and we are happy with them. I guess it depends on the supplier and how you approach them.

• Advertisement

It'll depend on your contract. We had to pay in advance for several suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Teach30 wrote: »
    On this, I’ve only heard of people paying the balance for these services after the wedding, particularly the hotel, photographer and flowers. Wouldn’t have occurred to me that people pay it all off beforehand. If your not happy with or don’t receive the service you have nothing to fall back on.

Just my experience, we won’t be paying full price on any services until after they have been received and we are happy with them. I guess it depends on the supplier and how you approach them.

Why would the supplier allow that? Thats wide open for the customer to pretend there was something they didn't like and refuse to pay.

Imagine being the band playing all night and then the bride deciding that she didn't like the music, so they are not paying. Its not like the band can take the music back.

The cake is baked and presented with all the time, effort and materials involved only for the bride to change her mind and refuse to pay? You can't unbake a cake, who pays for the materials?

A photographer spends all day taking photos, sends them to the groom who pretends he doesn't like them and refuses to pay. Thats a days labour that the photographer isn't getting back.

You indicate you haven't actually organised a wedding yet, I suspect that if you do you might find suppliers don't agree with your stance on the matter.

I'd be very interested to hear other peoples experiences on this, as a lot of our suppliers expect payment in advance. It makes sense to me though. The florist would be out of pocket herself if we don't pay her in advance to order the flowers we want. The same with the venue, they have to order all the food in advance.

What about the photographer - are you planning to withhold full payment pending your review and approval of the final photos provided?

When we got married most expected payment on the day (band, hair and makeup and transport) and the venue was flexible as we paid the balance two days after the wedding however this is not standard and every other venue we considered was far stricter.

What about the photographer - are you planning to withhold full payment pending your review and approval of the final photos provided?

You indicate you haven't actually organised a wedding yet, I suspect that if you do you might find suppliers don't agree with your stance on the matter.

No I’ve it all organised for this year. Everyone is booked. Maybe it’s just who we picked are sound about it.

Flowers and band are all fine about paying balance on the day once they arrive. Hotel is day after. Photographer once we’ve the photos picked. Anyone we’ve said it to are grand about it including Paying by cheque not cash/card.

I’ve said on here before about people I know paying the hotel the day after using the money from the cards, hotel is well known, well established and have no problem with it.

I’ve said on here before about people I know paying the hotel the day after using the money from the cards, hotel is well known, well established and have no problem with it.

Mother of God... you wouldn't want to be depending on money from cards to be paying your bill :eek:

Mother of God... you wouldn't want to be depending on money from cards to be paying your bill :eek:

Ah sure you’ve to be cute when it comes to picking your guests.

Not depending on it at all but it’s a handy way of getting rid of the cash rather than having to mind it until banks open. Everyone I know puts cash into card. Be bad trial of them not to pay back when we would have given at theirs. We’d know who’d be sound enough to repay and who wouldn’t. Everyone on list is working so no fear of them.

That would be the way our group of family/friends would look at it.

I wouldn't rely on cash in cards. We got nothing from several guests at our wedding, and we were surprised at who didn't give even a card. And got physical gifts. No way would the cash we receive d have paid for the wedding. Can't imagine that being a good plan financially.

Ah sure you’ve to be cute when it comes to picking your guests.

Not depending on it at all but it’s a handy way of getting rid of the cash rather than having to mind it until banks open. Everyone I know puts cash into card. Be bad trial of them not to pay back when we would have given at theirs. We’d know who’d be sound enough to repay and who wouldn’t. Everyone on list is working so no fear of them.

That would be the way our group of family/friends would look at it.

Do you choose your guests based on how much money they will give you? :(

Do you choose your guests based on how much money they will give you? :(

Ha no but anyone we know are decent enough and would be of similar minds to us and would give same as what we gave at their weddings. We’d also have a fair idea as to who wouldn’t give it back despite having good jobs. From my siblings and in laws weddings it certainly something you’d remember!

Anyways not looking like it’ll cost too much we’ve had to reduce numbers from 310 to a max of 50 I’d say for coming months, if even that.

• Advertisement

Why not just send them the bill after.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I would think you've no choice but to pay. They have fulfilled their side of the contract. It's not like you can decide not to pay if you put it on when you collect it and then decide you don't want it.
    They can easily courier it to you as a goodwill gesture. I'd ask that they do that on payment of the balance.

I think that's the most reasonable solution.

I can understand their position although I thought current restrictions would mean they would not even be in the shop. And I can definitely understand your position, OP, it would not count as a necessary journey.

At least, the dress would be in your hands, should there be any fear of the shop not reopening, after all this is over.

Hopefully you can work something out that's agreeable to both sides. If they have been okay to deal with up to now, hopefully they would sort out any issues with the dress, if needs be, nearer to the wedding.

All the best.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I wouldn't rely on cash in cards. We got nothing from several guests at our wedding, and we were surprised at who didn't give even a card. And got physical gifts. No way would the cash we receive d have paid for the wedding. Can't imagine that being a good plan financially.

I've a rather bolshy cousin who made it clear she wanted cash gifts - and substantial ones at that - for that very reason.

It backfired though because all that did was ensure that most of her relatives made a point of giving non-cash gifts to her.

Anyways not looking like it’ll cost too much we’ve had to reduce numbers from 310 to a max of 50 I’d say for coming months, if even that.

You might be spending less overall because you've less meals to pay for, but there are a lot of things that will cost the same regardless (photographer, flowers, dress etc).

I hope you've done the maths and worked out exactly who to invite based on how much money they'll gift you, so that you break even :rolleyes:

You might be spending less overall because you've less meals to pay for, but there are a lot of things that will cost the same regardless (photographer, flowers, dress etc).

I hope you've done the maths and worked out exactly who to invite based on how much money they'll gift you, so that you break even :rolleyes:

No haven’t even done out a budget for any of it. Haven’t a clue how much it will cost overall but noting a loan wouldn’t sort.

As regards getting gifts over cash I’d recommend creating a wedding list with Brown Thomas or Arnotts. Gives people a good idea as to what you like, they don’t have to use it but it’s a good guide as to what a new home might need.

No haven’t even done out a budget for any of it. Haven’t a clue how much it will cost overall but noting a loan wouldn’t sort.

A loan is a terrible idea. Personally we've cut our cloth to measure and have no plans to start our married life in debt.
    As regards getting gifts over cash I’d recommend creating a wedding list with Brown Thomas or Arnotts. Gives people a good idea as to what you like, they don’t have to use it but it’s a good guide as to what a new home might need.

Personally I think weddings lists are a bad idea. It just seems materialistic and creates a bad impression that you expect presents. I'd never go to a wedding with my hands hanging, but I certainly wouldn't be expecting to receive wads of cash and expensive presents for my own wedding. People have their own lives and expenses (mortgages, kids etc) - they can't be expected to spend a small fortune for every wedding they attend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: A gentle reminder to get back to the topic of the thread and not get dragged into off-topic discussions about practices you may disagree with.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I really haven't changed my mind, I still love the dress and have bought all the accessories and ready to go. It's not about the fine, I take the restrictions in place very seriously as I'm sure most do. They're there for a reason and I'm not willing to break the rules currently in place... it really is just that. I've no interest in getting another dress, I'm not sure where in my original post that came across.

I don't think its unreasonable to wait a couple of weeks in hopes that even the 5k is loosened and I could even get a friend to go who is closer rather than pay a large lump sum over the phone without any comfort over what I'm paying for. Obviously you feel its not an unreasonable request so I appreciate your differing opinion. It's just something I have to give thought too and was interested to see what others were experiencing during covid and any resolutions they've found. Travelling myself to collect it outside of government guidelines however is not an option.

Another potential option might be that if you know the dressmaker who will alter it for you, they can pick it up and check it for flaws?

I can see it from your point of view, but also I can see it from the shops point of view - they probably have loads of brides on pause, so there's a lot of stock that was ordered that they have to pay the manufacturer in full for - and they can't do that unless the dresses are paid for. And they probably have gotten stung in the past with a bride changing her mind after ordering and trying to get out of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I agree that asking you to breach the restrictions to collect it is a bit out of hand but I agree with the others that it's not unusual for them to expect payment. I also think the idea of asking them to courier it to you once balance is paid is good. We had hoped to get married later this year but with so many people reorganising their weddings from last year to this year, it made it virtually impossible to find a date & venue we liked. I'd actual bought my dress (went to try on different styles & get an idea, fell in love with one) & have paid the 50% deposit. It's due to come into the shop in July time this year & I'll pay the balance & take it home then. I'll arrange the fittings with them. Thinking on that is also that should anything happen to the bridal salon (which I really hope it doesn't as they are lovely), I'll have my dress in my possession & not have to worry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement