Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smyth's Don't Allow You to Cancel Online Orders

Options
  • 14-01-2021 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Made an online order with Smyths, a cot bed, mattress, and sheets.

My girlfriend then said it was not the one she wanted and the one she wants is not sold in Smyths.

I thought, ok no worries, I literally only ordered it, I will cancel it.

Turns out, you cannot cancel items once an order has been placed:

"Once your order has been placed we cannot add items, remove items or cancel the order."

Any one else ever have to deal with this? I sent them a message trying to get them to cancel and refund me, but I doubt they will. I don't really want the hassle of having to return the items to them tbh.

Can I tell the delivery driver to return to sender and that way they will return them to the warehouse and then I tell them I want a refund?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You might have a bit of an issue as your case is a clear change of mind.

From the Smyths website:

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/returns#returns-method-summary

Video Game & Nursery Products

For your benefit and for reasons of product integrity and hygiene, we cannot offer refunds or exchanges, unless faulty or not as described, on the following items: Nursery items, gift cards and gaming items including but not limited to:

Digital downloads and ESD cards
    Products containing downloadable content
    Digital and games credit and subscriptions
    Consoles and bundles
    Computer or games software
    This does not affect your statutory rights. Please see our tablets and games console FAQ's for useful tips and help on how to address set up, performance and other issues you may encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

However you should still be able to rely on the 14-day cooling off period applicable to online purchases?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Easons are the same with no option to cancel on the website.

I placed an order one evening and five minutes later, wanted to cancel one book. I had to email them and got an automated reply. I rang them first thing the next morning and got told “that order was posted already so there’s nothing we can do.”

The website still said processing and then two days later, I got an email saying “this order has now been shipped.” Then the customer service replied to my email a week later saying “this order has already been delivered.”

It’s hard to support Irish businesses when their customer service is on a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Could be problem solved. The gf said she thinks we will just go with the one I ordered. Saves me hassle of returning it. Still I think it's stupid there's no option to cancel the order before it's been dispatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Virtually all large online stores are the same.

The time and cost involved in searching for one order amongst hundreds is way in excess of the cost of the customer returning the item or refusing delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Darc19 wrote: »
    Virtually all large online stores are the same.

The time and cost involved in searching for one order amongst hundreds is way in excess of the cost of the customer returning the item or refusing delivery.

Fair enough. I will know that in future! So the refusing delivery works i.e. delivery driver will return it to the warehouse and you look for refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

chops018 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I will know that in future! So the refusing delivery works i.e. delivery driver will return it to the warehouse and you look for refund?

Yep, unsure if a restocking fee is allowed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

If it was returned to sender, as in delivery refused, that may sort it?

Advertisement