Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong size item ordered.

Options
  • 13-01-2021 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Anyone a bit of info on this situation?

I'm in the Republic & bought a fridge online from a retailer in the North of Ireland.

I spoke with an employee of the shop and was told that they have the unit that I was looking for, but was told to order it online. Anyway, when the fridge came, it wasn't the one I wanted. I had ordered the wrong one. After contacting the shop, they're not being very helpful. Am I entitled to a refund? The fridge arrived a week ago & I want to know as soon as possible, as I'm concerned that if there's a 14 day return policy, I'm still within the allotted time.

I contacted the ECC & they can take up to 5 working days to get back to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If you ordered the wrong one than the mistake is on you and the shop doesn't have to do anything.
    It is basically a change of mind.
    From a customer service standpoint they should, but they don't have to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cruizer101 wrote: »
    If you ordered the wrong one than the mistake is on you and the shop doesn't have to do anything.
    It is basically a change of mind.
    From a customer service standpoint they should, but they don't have to.

In normal circumstances, distance sales have 14 days returns (with exceptions, but allowing opening packaging for inspection) - however, NI is not in the EU anymore, so I'm not sure this applies at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's very unclear if the EU distance selling directive still holds for NI. Although part of the UK, it is still part of the single market. I believe it still is subject to. However, what that means in practice is another thing.

What you should do, now, instead of waiting for the ECC, is email the retailer stating that you wish to return the fridge under the EU distance selling regulations and need to ask for the process to return. Doing that means you have fulfilled your obligation (though still have to return within 14 days after). If the retailer is unwilling then you will have a clear case to look to your bank to do a chargeback (assuming you get clarification from the ECC or another source).

Anyway, thanks for being a BREXIT test-subject, do let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ffm

OK, they've finally came back with a print out of sorts saying that there's a 21 day returns policy for goods that are still in the packaging & a 14 day returns policy for goods that have been taken out of the packaging. Happy days, I thought to myself. However, the lady who we're dealing with says she still has to check with management is it OK????

She's checking is it OK to proceed with their own returns policy...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

ffm wrote: »
    OK, they've finally came back with a print out of sorts saying that there's a 21 day returns policy for goods that are still in the packaging & a 14 day returns policy for goods that have been taken out of the packaging. Happy days, I thought to myself. However, the lady who we're dealing with says she still has to check with management is it OK????

She's checking is it OK to proceed with their own returns policy...

Their policy was probably written prior to Brexit so they will have to check. Have some patience, the mistake was yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They are fully entitled to charge you for the cost of returning the product, so expect a circa £50 deduction from the refund.

They can also request that you arrange the return.

Advertisement