Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future for virtual address schemes

Options
  • 19-12-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

I can’t see those ( U.K.) virtual address schemes returning , customs clearance and double VAT and will make the whole thing way way over priced

I can’t see how AddressPal can function given no declared value will be on U.K. domestic parcels and hence the double VAT trap will make everything crazy money

The USA one works because the sales tax is low so the double VAT issue is ameliorated

But as the U.K. is similar to ours , your faced with vat there and vat here plus a clearance charge. And that assumes a Brexit deal where no tariffs are also applied

What we need are a virtual address service in Germany or the Netherlands ( or several euro zone areas )

Buying from the U.K. will be “ big boys “ stuff etc customs agents Tain accounts etc.

People you say “wait for the deal” have clearly misunderstood that the U.K. is leaving the customs Union , irrespective of a deal. Hence the VAT regimes will decouple anyway deal or no deal

It’s back to the 1970s

( ps I don’t think we will see a U.K. based parcel motel system returning , despite the announcement )

As an example of what we will miss, orders small item £11 from U.K. Thursday , delivered NI Friday , in the PM locker this morning , ah we’ll look back and tell the grandkids how it was all so easy back in the day :D

Of course first class mail used be delivered next day from Ireland to the uk, my latest one took 8 days !!
    Backwards we go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

PM will set up an EU virtual address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

jimmynokia wrote: »

Given NI will still be in the customs union, they already have one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Maybe we’ll look more at shopping locally.I enjoyed spending money locally the last couple of weeks, rather than lining Jeff's pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Given NI will still be in the customs union, they already have one.

Doesn’t avoid the double vat issue

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

whiterebel wrote: »
    Maybe we’ll look more at shopping locally.I enjoyed spending money locally the last couple of weeks, rather than lining Jeff's pockets.

Lots of stuff I can’t get locally or online within Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jimmynokia wrote: »

Not the same.

Parcel Motel worked because most things were flat rate to mainland UK and NI so we essentially got across the Irish Sea at the expense of Royal Mail/Hermes etc. If PM setup in Calais/Antwerp or wherever they'd be on the hook for shipping back to RoI. If the PM fee is going to be €8-10 an item I dont seeing it doing nearly as much volume as to support the fleet of locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭98-00

I found the virtual address good for buying second-hand/old/collectable items from Ebay when a seller didn't want to ship internationally. In some cases the added taxes still make it cheaper, also some older and collectable items are just not available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭POBox19

BoatMad wrote: »
    Doesn’t avoid the double vat issue

A UK supplier should no longer be charging UK VAT rates on goods being exported from the UK because of the decoupling of the VAT systems.

Previously, the UK supplier would charge VAT on an export, unless the customer provided a valid EU VAT number in which case it was deferred. The goods were 'in free circulation within the EU', not anymore.

Now the VAT, plus any excise duty, has to be paid upon entry to the EU i.e. from UK into Ireland.
    Address Pal is a UK delivery address and the UK supplier must charge their VAT and AP are obliged to collect EU VAT on the delivery, expensive.

Advertisement