Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircodes.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Would be nice if they used this page: https://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx rather than sending the package back to Germany (would have been cheaper for them I suspect...)
    I guess it's a cost thing, they paid millions for the infrastucture to sort by Eircode at a national level, and it hasn't been rolled out at the local hubs yet for parcels. Letters do seem to get past the local hubs and dedicated delivery people on the route manually look up the address of their own back but it might be too much effort to do this manually for parcels while in the local hub. Begs the question why it was let out of the national hub if it couldn't be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

TheChizler wrote: »
    I guess it's a cost thing, they paid millions for the infrastucture to sort by Eircode at a national level, and it hasn't been rolled out at the local hubs yet for parcels. Letters do seem to get past the local hubs and dedicated delivery people on the route manually look up the address of their own back but it might be too much effort to do this manually for parcels while in the local hub. Begs the question why it was let out of the national hub if it couldn't be delivered.

This is a DHL parcel, so the first thing they do is print out a new label and stick it on the box - to be fair I do not know what exactly is on the Box, according to the senders invoice it is my full address minus the Street, looking at the DHL tracking it is: My Name, Cork, EIRCODE, Cork.

There was a rumour of a work to rule in Cork a couple of weeks ago, so may have been a by product of that?

I am hoping that Port Laois will decode the eircode and put a new sticker on it - but suspect its going back to DHL in Germany...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

schmoo2k wrote: »
    This is a DHL parcel, so the first thing they do is print out a new label and stick it on the box - to be fair I do not know what exactly is on the Box, according to the senders invoice it is my full address minus the Street, looking at the DHL tracking it is: My Name, Cork, EIRCODE, Cork.

There was a rumour of a work to rule in Cork a couple of weeks ago, so may have been a by product of that?

I am hoping that Port Laois will decode the eircode and put a new sticker on it - but suspect its going back to DHL in Germany...
    Oh, all bets are off if it's DHL, I thought you were talking about An Post. You did respond to someone talking about An Post, saying they were incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

TheChizler wrote: »
    Oh, all bets are off if it's DHL, I thought you were talking about An Post. You did respond to someone talking about An Post, saying they were incorrect.

DHL Germany hand off to An Post for "Local" Irish Delivery... So it is An Post.
    The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Track/History?item=?????????)

Eircodes are great. Enter mine on all forms.
    Couriers can be idiots.

I live in a new enough estate, that shares its name with an estate in another townland in the same county, but approx 30 minutes away.
    Initially, my estate didnt show on Google maps, and delivery drivers would ring me, saying the estate didnt contain a house with my number.

I asked them where they were, and they were in the wrong townland.
    Basically they looked at the first line of my address, and entered the estate name into google maps, and got the wrong result.
    I had not sympathy for them. If they read the address right, or entered the eircode into the eircode finder website, they would have found my house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

CSU wrote: »
    Ive worked on the phones for years in the motor trade and most of the mistakes you'll see is from calling out UK car reg numbers...and just about any non-standard part number with D or B or F or S ..

You haven't learned to use a phonetic alphabet at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

One issue with Eircode is the fact that some are not accurate.. I deal with a common issue as a courier that when the Eircode was delivered by letter back in 2013/4 there was no way to check your eircode, when the website was launched some checked there eircodes realised there was mistakes (wrong building tagged or the eircode on premises was not correct and actually belonged to a neighbours building and vise versa). So now six/seven years on you ring a client and they read you the incorrect info off the eircode correspondence which brings you to a neighbors house and then you have to get actual directions and then use the app to inform the person of there correct eircode... Also the Auto Address App now has a subscription fee, some newer eircodes are Not updated to Google for months so unless you pay the subscriptions you may not be able to access newer eircodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Anybody know what AnPost does for letters that don’t have the full address but the eircode.

Someone from Germany send a few letters to me with an incomplete address a few weeks back:

Name
    Apartment (Number)
    Cork (Eircode)

Instead of

Name
    House Name
    Apartment (Number)
    Cork (Eircode)

Any chance these will ever make it to me or will AnPost send them back to sender eventually.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anybody know what AnPost does for letters that don’t have the full address but the eircode.

Someone from Germany send a few letters to me with an incomplete address a few weeks back:

Name
    Apartment (Number)
    Cork (Eircode)

Instead of

Name
    House Name
    Apartment (Number)
    Cork (Eircode)

Any chance these will ever make it to me or will AnPost send them back to sender eventually.

Thanks

I'll be fine

https://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-puzzle-mail-2145217-Jun2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

ED E wrote: »

that was in 2015 when they had a little spare time and enjoyed a challenge.

These days they are at near maximum capacity, so you can't be certain it will get there, but you would hope it would.

It it had for example

500 The Haven, Cork P51 GH88 it would have a good chance.

If it had 500, Cork P51 GH88. I would be more doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

In my case the missing house name proofed to much for the sorting office and the items returned to their sender.

My local postie was surprised, he said if it had made it down to his office he would have have known where to fo.

So clearly it’s filtered out somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've not done much online shopping this year, so far. One frustration I find with Eircode is that sometimes the supplier/shipper doesn't put mine on the address label, even though I always provide it and it's often asked for at the online checkout. I'd prefer if they used it because there are other houses on my street that have the same number. Most of the time stuff gets here fine, but yeah, I dunno why some don't bother sticking it on the label, to aid the delivery.

Advertisement