Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What mileage is too high to continue servicing?

• 13-07-2019 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a 2006 automatic VW TDI 1.9 golf with 305,000 KMs. It is making a nice that sometimes sounds like metal dragging on the ground or a very flat tyre. I have had the front tyres checked and one replaced and been told they not the issue.

The back tyres visually look ok but they did tell me the alignment is off and needs to be realigned.

It is due a service and i think timing chain is due to be changed. Mechanic also mentioned when i got car serviced before Nct last october that it is making a noise and could be turbo that might need replacing soon.

I just got a new job that will involve me commuting by train but ill still need a car for weekends etc.

Im thinking now should i spend more money servicing my current car or should i look to get a new car?

How many more miles can i expect to get out of my the above car?

I was thinking id drive current car to its death and then get new electric car but now that ill be doing such little mileage i dont think id see any economic benifit from going electric.

Id probably consifder newer diesel golf from 2012 onwards but hard to tell how economical it would be over petrol options given carbon taxes for diesel seems on the way. If i am doing less mileage i would again be less affected.

So what you all think? should i service and continue in current VW or replace it now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you ever played buckaroo?
    That’s what owning a high mileage car is like. Nobody will be able to predict when the mule will kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Dunno if Go-car is a viable option if you only need car on weekends etc.
    Probably kiss goodbye to any NCB though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cut the chord bud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

You need to pin down exactly what's making the noise / vibration's etc. Get a mechanic to do a full check and report on it, including costs. Wheel alignment is not a big job, and at this point in time, timing chains in a Golf are not astronomical cost-wise either. So unless it's using a lot of engine oil between servicing, I'd take a chance on fixing it up and driving it on. 305'000 Klms would not bother me on a 1.9 TDI VW engine, sounds like a lot, but in fact it's just a little over 180'000 Miles, and these engines, properly serviced are capable of much more than that. So worth a chance, in my view......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

jmreire wrote: »
    You need to pin down exactly what's making the noise / vibration's etc. Get a mechanic to do a full check and report on it, including costs. Wheel alignment is not a big job, and at this point in time, timing chains in a Golf are not astronomical cost-wise either. So unless it's using a lot of engine oil between servicing, I'd take a chance on fixing it up and driving it on. 305'000 Klms would not bother me on a 1.9 TDI VW engine, sounds like a lot, but in fact it's just a little over 125'000 Miles, and these engines, properly serviced are capable of much more than that. So worth a chance, in my view......

Nearer 190,000 miles in fact.
    OP I'd get a quote to fix and go from there. We have a Vectra with 160,000 miles and all we've done is brake pads and suspension so I know the likes of clutch and turbo etc won't have much life left so I'm going to trade up before something big goes. Car is driving absolutely perfectly but at that mileage your on borrowed time.

• Advertisement

corsav6 wrote: »
    Nearer 190,000 miles in fact.
    OP I'd get a quote to fix and go from there. We have a Vectra with 160,000 miles and all we've done is brake pads and suspension so I know the likes of clutch and turbo etc won't have much life left so I'm going to trade up before something big goes. Car is driving absolutely perfectly but at that mileage your on borrowed time.

You are right about the mileage, and I have corrected it, but it does not appear in the post you are quoting ( you replied before the edit kicked in, I think ). I really don't have much experience with the Vectra's, so I can't comment on your car. But as for the VW's, I've owned and worked on them, and in the OP's case, it's what I would do. It goes without saying, car's being car's, they are all a bit of a gamble, and that's the risk you take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

You are right about the mileage, and I have corrected it, but it does not appear in the post you are quoting ( you replied before the edit kicked in, I think ). I really don't have much experience with the Vectra's, so I can't comment on your car. But as for the VW's, I've owned and worked on them, and in the OP's case, it's what I would do. It goes without saying, car's being car's, they are all a bit of a gamble, and that's the risk you take.

Ya I seen my quote didn't include your edit.

Your correct however, it's a gamble and the higher the mileage the worse your odds are so that's the reason we're changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Thanks the girlfriend is looking to learn to drive soon so i might just get the car fixed up if it doesnt cost too much and give it to her to learn to drive. She wont be doing a lot of miles so might suit fine.

I've read as much as what your saying about VW TDI engines having a good lifespan. Would you happen to know if the same could be said for BMW?

As i wont be doing much miles, im contemplating getting a BMW 3 or 5 series which would also be automatic and diesel probably 2012 year or bit more recent.

Im wondering assuming i buy something with a good service history can i expect similar reliability even with mileage of 100,000 to 150,000 miles?

I feel like that would be reasonable expectation from VW TDI engine but not sure if same can be said for BMW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

bmw keeps garages going, to be fair its great car looks spec wise, but once it needs servicing your bleeding.

also hard to find anything decent these days as a lot of imports from UK, local ones have poor specs for what they ask and most come usually well with over 100k miles.

your golf is worth prob now 200-400e scrap or parts really.

instead of borrowing cash or getting credit maybe buy smth 2008-2009 small engine 1.2-1.3 plenty small autos now as well going real cheap - if you say commutes will be limited no point in forking over 10k when two years down the road youll lose prob half value.

lightspeed wrote: »
    Thanks the girlfriend is looking to learn to drive soon so i might just get the car fixed up if it doesnt cost too much and give it to her to learn to drive. She wont be doing a lot of miles so might suit fine.

I've read as much as what your saying about VW TDI engines having a good lifespan. Would you happen to know if the same could be said for BMW?

As i wont be doing much miles, im contemplating getting a BMW 3 or 5 series which would also be automatic and diesel probably 2012 year or bit more recent.

Im wondering assuming i buy something with a good service history can i expect similar reliability even with mileage of 100,000 to 150,000 miles?

I feel like that would be reasonable expectation from VW TDI engine but not sure if same can be said for BMW?
    Earlier BMW's, up to 2008 used the M47 engine, and this was a very good engine, gave very little trouble ( had an issue with swirl flaps, but this was not a complicated fix, once it became known) Then BMW introduced the replacement for the M47 engine..a completely redesigned engine, called the N47. This engine was trouble on 4 wheel's,,,,because they put the timing gear at the rear of the engine ( normal configuration is at the front, which is comparatively easy to access for servicing etc). When the timing chain went, it made mince meat ( or metal equivalent ) of the engine, in some cases while travelling at speed on the motorways etc, and when this happened, all power assisted functions were lost...power steer, brakes etc. So it was a dangerously flawed engine. BMW made modifications in 2009, 2010, and claimed that it was finally fixed in all BMW's produced from March, 2011. However albeit in lesser Nrs, it was still cropping up in 2012, 2013, and in 2014. In 2014 they introduced it's replacement, the B47 engine. This engine still use's the same timing chain set up as the N 47, but redesigned and strengthened components, and so far I have not heard of any chain problems with this engine. So if you do decide on a BMW ( and they are a lovely car ) don't touch it unless it has had the chain done. Should be OK then for 150'000+ miles with proper servicing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...As i wont be doing much miles, im contemplating getting a BMW 3 or 5 series which would also be automatic and diesel....
    Why diesel if you're not going to be doing many miles? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

BMW scored dead last in the recent J.D. Power survey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think the easiest thing to do now is work out what this noise is, it could be something innocuous, or it could make the car an economic write-off for all we know.
    Id probably consifder newer diesel golf from 2012 onwards but hard to tell how economical it would be over petrol options given carbon taxes for diesel seems on the way. If i am doing less mileage i would again be less affected.

I wouldn't consider a modern diesel at all unless you are doing high mileage, which you are not. Never mind any potential taxes, modern diesels with DPFs can be nothing but trouble if not driven suitably. Fuel isn't going to be your biggest cost if doing low mileage, and there are many efficient petrols and petrol hybrids out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

timing chains in a Golf are not astronomical cost-wise either..
    No, in fact it's completely free, mostly because they don't have a chain :D

Timing belt replacement in a 1.9 TDi should cost you very little. Honestly 300km is not a lot for these cars. It's certainly viable to keep it going, depends on whether you want to change or not.

millington wrote: »
    No, in fact it's completely free, mostly because they don't have a chain :D

Timing belt replacement in a 1.9 TDi should cost you very little. Honestly 300km is not a lot for these cars. It's certainly viable to keep it going, depends on whether you want to change or not.

OOP's should have said Belt's.....:rolleyes: Mea Culpa !!!! Friend of mine had a 1.9 Tdi Octavia...900'000 Klms on it when he traded it in..there was still life in the engine, but everything else on the car was showing it's age and it failed the NCT on several items, so he traded it in. There 2 in particular 1.9 Tdi's that were very good, the AVF and AWX ones, real high kilometer , and very economic fuel wise. If I was in the OP's situation, I know that I would spend a few quid on the car, and drive on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Dsg box aren't great tbh and if it's the earlier box it's even worse

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Dsg box aren't great tbh and if it's the earlier box it's even worse

I have only experience with the manual boxe's, and they generally were Ok, but from what I have heard about the DSG's, you are right...

Advertisement