Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The year is 1991.....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Another vote for the Proton!! I learned to drive in it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

How on earth were they allowed to sell those Reliant 3 wheelers. Were they not fantastically unstable and dangerous? How many people died in them I wonder?

Imagine having to swerve to avoid something...all of a sudden you'd be upsidedown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

road_high wrote: »
    Think they were loosely rebadged Corolla. Used be a few about

The previous Charmant was Corolla-based, but the Applause was a completely original design with their own engines and unusual notchback that looked like a normal saloon - a product of the height of the bubble economy in Japan.

Later it was replaced by a rebadged Camry, the Daihatsu Altis (probably not exported).
    How on earth were they allowed to sell those Reliant 3 wheelers. Were they not fantastically unstable and dangerous? How many people died in them I wonder?

Only if you're in Top Gear fantasy land. Those cars were deliberately modified to fall over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Oh I see. Still, they were a dreadful thing nomatter what way you look at it. I really wonder what made people buy them over a normal car with 4 wheels. Would one more wheel really cost that much extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Oh I see. Still, they were a dreadful thing nomatter what way you look at it. I really wonder what made people buy them over a normal car with 4 wheels. Would one more wheel really cost that much extra?

Nearly impossible to dodge a pot-hole with them .....
    BUT 25% less tyre and brake parts cost.
    I got the impression they sold mainly to sedate pensioners who drove slowly and carefully.

And what about motorbikes?
    When you come to a stop, they fall over every time!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

mondeo wrote: »
    I thought the Fiat Tipo was quite a nice car in 1991'.

My dad's first car, bought second hand in Germany. Electric windows, sunroof and other fancy stuff. Definitely not cheap car.

It also broke down very often. Way too often from what I remember...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

A full motorcycle licence in the UK would allow you to drive B1 class trikes and light quadricycles (up to 550kg) - Reliant with their expertise in making lightweight fibreglass bodies were some of the more competent vehicles in this class (some even had four wheels!). There seemed to be a significant niche of motorists in the UK who didn't want to or couldn't get a full B licence for whatever reason, until the licensing was changed in 2001 (which led to the end of Reliant car production).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

alentejo wrote: »
    I had a crush on a Mazda 323f back in 1991. I remember I wanted a car with new Euro plates.

Same, my (then) boss let me borrow hers for a day to wow the girlfriend. It was a 1.8 rocket (standard was 1.6 back in the day). I had a 1.4 Clio then, which was no slouch (tiny body, so went like the clappers with just me in it).

I also had a thing for the JDM Honda CRX, but my insurance company laughed at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Seat - Fiat cast offs but the Ibiza "by Porsche" and new Toledo weren't all that bad.
    The Ibiza "special edition" seemed to be more common here. 903cc Fiat engine rather than the Porsche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

My first car was a 91 Rover Metro 1.4 litre. Front suspension was a hydrogas setup instead of an anti roll bar, would drop down overtime and became very expensive to have topped up. Made the car look lowered but the exhaust would scrape on bumps. Went up the featherbeds for a drive near the end of my ownership and didnt think i'd make it back due to the camber in the road. Had a fake vent on the bonnet too. Other memorable aspect was 'headrests' that were rock hard plastic.

Tails142 wrote: »
    My first car was a 91 Rover Metro 1.4 litre. Front suspension was a hydrogas setup instead of an anti roll bar.................

It was instead of the coil springs :)
    It was also front and rear. The front and rear units were linked on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Yakuza wrote: »
    Same, my (then) boss let me borrow hers for a day to wow the girlfriend. It was a 1.8 rocket (standard was 1.6 back in the day). I had a 1.4 Clio then, which was no slouch (tiny body, so went like the clappers with just me in it).

I also had a thing for the JDM Honda CRX, but my insurance company laughed at me.

Pedant but they were a 1.5. My now missus had one, I had a 1.9 80 couldn't wait to drive her car. God knows how fast the 1.8 were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Morris Ital

watch out for the dangerous manoeuvres !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkoEQeJu7x8

Scrap that (the car as well) - sorry wrong decade but hey who could miss that dodgy ad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Pedant but they were a 1.5. My now missus had one, I had a 1.9 80 couldn't wait to drive her car. God knows how fast the 1.8 were

*cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Yakuza wrote: »

Iirc the 1.5 was a Japanese import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

I must be wrong so Yakuza, I was 100% until you posted that. Wouldn't have said it was an import, she bought it second-hand,but not so sure now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

In 1991 I was in college but working weekends in a bar and the cheapest decent car I could find was a 1980 Renault 4 with 80k miles on it. 850cc's of throbbing power and the impact resistance of a wet chip bag. My first insurance quote at the time was £2,600 and the car cost £600. I ended up getting my mother to insure it and drove it as a named driver for three years. Good times.

Advertisement