Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

everlast75 wrote: »
    Trump brining his chaos to the G7.

Having suggested that it was Obama's fault that Russia invaded Crimea, Trump has said that Russia should be allowed rejoin.

A firm rebuttal, with an extra of side sauce from the fellow members...

https://twitter.com/WordswithSteph/status/1165246051437240321?s=19

What's particularly striking in that tweet thread is the Guardian's report in May that Merkel said that Europe must “reposition itself” to face challenges from China, Russia and the United States.

That is the big foreign relations story here: Trump has so dragged the US into the gutter that the US is being seen as synonymous with Russia and China as a country that Europe needs to be protected from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

White House Science Division is now empty. Good luck, 'Murica. Hopefully nothing sciencly bad happens. Obama had over 100 people there. Been established since 1976

https://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/white-houses-science-division-completely-empty/

Igotadose wrote: »
    White House Science Division is now empty. Good luck, 'Murica. Hopefully nothing sciencly bad happens. Obama had over 100 people there. Been established since 1976

https://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/white-houses-science-division-completely-empty/

Future generations will queue up to piss on Trump's grave for the damage he has done to their country by outlawing the knowledge and proofs of science.

Truly evil men rape and pillage Mother Earth for their own short term gain while She mourns Her defilement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

I think it's fair to say that fringe of Trump's support just outside of the actual cult is truly crumbling, I should know, I was one of them.

I would support any Republican President, but this guy has entered pure nuttyville and there's no turning back. I'd prefer another Republican to run in 2020.

To those defending him, please, just Stahp. You know he's gone beyond defending and you're clinging to semantics at this stage.

I think his heart is in the right place with all the China stuff, but his approach is gonna bankrupt the US dollar if he continues on the same road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Igotadose wrote: »

Back when Rex Tillerson was around - remember him, one of the 'adults in the room' who would keep Trump in check. Good times - the reports were that he was overseeing the gutting of the State Dept (and one of my pointers towards longterm erosion of the US's famous 'Soft Power' capabilities, to use the term coined by another Republican no longer seen, Teddy Roosevelt.).

So it's not all that surprising to learn that this reduction is happening in other divisions - though an entire department shredded to zero is pretty incredible. Maybe this is the 'draining of the swamp' promised, god knows. Though given recent environmental legislative developments, posted previously, it also reads like the continuation of the war on the environment being waged.

I feel a great pang of sympathy to whoever inherits this Administration: remember how most candidates have binders upon binders of plans, hirings, departmental logistics etc. before they step into office (Trump didn't, famously, cos of course he didn't); whoever gets elected will need twice that number, just to get the mechanisms of the state back up to where it was pre-Trump.

I'm to the point where I'm genuinely wondering: who IS running the country?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Back when Rex Tillerson was around - remember him, one of the 'adults in the room' who would keep Trump in check. Good times - the reports were that he was overseeing the gutting of the State Dept (and one of my pointers towards longterm erosion of the US's famous 'Soft Power' capabilities, to use the term coined by another Republican no longer seen, Teddy Roosevelt.).

So it's not all that surprising to learn that this reduction is happening in other divisions - though an entire department shredded to zero is pretty incredible. Maybe this is the 'draining of the swamp' promised, god knows. Though given recent environmental legislative developments, posted previously, it also reads like the continuation of the war on the environment being waged.

I feel a great pang of sympathy to whoever inherits this Administration: remember how most candidates have binders upon binders of plans, hirings, departmental logistics etc. before they step into office (Trump didn't, famously, cos of course he didn't); whoever gets elected will need twice that number, just to get the mechanisms of the state back up to where it was pre-Trump.

I think your last question strikes at the heart of the matter.

Right now, I believe that the US is being run by the 'whisperers'... whoever is able to get and keep Trump's ear whenever he is on his 'executive time' or the Golf Course. Who are they?

Anyone who can prove that they're adding to Trump Inc's bottom line... Simple as!

peddlelies wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that fringe of Trump's support just outside of the actual cult is truly crumbling, I should know, I was one of them.

I would support any Republican President, but this guy has entered pure nuttyville and there's no turning back. I'd prefer another Republican to run in 2020.

To those defending him, please, just Stahp. You know he's gone beyond defending and you're clinging to semantics at this stage.

I think his heart is in the right place with all the China stuff, but his approach is gonna bankrupt the US dollar if he continues on the same road.

Well, let me say 'Hats Off' to acknowledge anyone who has the courage to change course based on evidence, and moreso to do so publicly.

So, I do admire such a public conversion.

And I'm not saying that to crow or to demean whatever soul-searching led you to this change in your support (although there have been ever so slight movements in that direction for a while).

I look forward to meaningful (and not always as idem) debate / discussion going forward..

A bunch of his golf club buddies are apparently meddling with the VA.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/22/digital-health-platform-mar-a-lago-members-1676335
    You have to wonder how prevalent this carry on is throughout the rest of the government.

A bunch of his golf club buddies are apparently meddling with the VA.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/22/digital-health-platform-mar-a-lago-members-1676335
    You have to wonder how prevalent this carry on is throughout the rest of the government.

It's rife IMO... That Mar a Lago influencing being just par for the course. The whisperers / influencers are the ones wielding real power now.

And they know that the only way they can play is after they pay...

So much for draining the swamp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Trump is now claiming his "I'm the chosen one" line was sarcasm which it probably was but the problem with it is he's not just anybody he's the president of the United States and his words matter...

Oh please, there is no probably about it. Everyone bar those with an agenda knew he was joking. Hard to believe anyone could genuinely believe he was being serious but that's where we are today, on every syllable the left hangs in the hope that if they just exaggerate enough, while clutching their pearls, surely that will result in the ousting of the man they can't stand from the Oval.

Good to see him put the idiotic media in their place and treat them with the disdain they deserve in response to such mornic questions.

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1165142918480322561

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Great to see the border wall coming along so well despite no support from congress.

Trump getting it done regardless. Promises made, promises kept.

https://twitter.com/CBP/status/1165447864262283265
    https://twitter.com/CBP/status/1165433447181144066

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Great to see the border wall coming along so well despite no support from congress.

I presume Mexico is paying for it, otherwise it isnt a promise kept. They will be breaking down the wall to build shanty houses if Trump keeps his economic policies on course. Canada will be building a Northern wall to stop American migrants out if he keeps his same environmental policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's always so cringey when ye include the promises made promises kept schtick while pointing to a promise made (Mexico will pay for the wall) that clearly is not being kept. Just like the others, only the best people....drain the swamp....lock her up....trade wars are easy.....health care is so simple....

That's before even getting into the rest of the claim.

Then again, when all you have to work with are smoke and mirrors maybe I am being too harsh. It's really cringey though imho and lacks any potential for "triggering" surely on that basis alone?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

https://twitter.com/CBP/status/1165447864262283265
    https://twitter.com/CBP/status/1165433447181144066

That’s a pretty decent fence the US taxpayer is funding. I’d say it makes a cool noise as you drive parallel to it.

But it isn’t a wall and Mexico aren’t paying for it.

I’m seriously considering investing in a Mexican ladder company, business is going to be booming.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Oh please, there is no probably about it. Everyone bar those with an agenda knew he was joking. Hard to believe anyone could genuinely believe he was being serious but that's where we are today, on every syllable the left hangs in the hope that if they just exaggerate enough, while clutching their pearls, surely that will result in the ousting of the man they can't stand from the Oval.

Good to see him put the idiotic media in their place and treat them with the disdain they deserve in response to such mornic questions.

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1165142918480322561
    Total and utter guff.
    Watch the clip again when he said that he's the chosen one, he wasn't smiling

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I'm curious to ask. Given Outlaw Pete's clear defence of everything Trump says from 'fine people' to 'go back to those countries' now to this...

Has Trump in his 3 years said anything that you think he shouldn't have?

Genuine question.

Has the man made any utterances or posted anything to twitter where you thought 'oh, that was a mistake. He should have kept his mouth shut there'?

I'm wondering if you see any flaws?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Still no admission of the type of man Trump is.

More mop amd bucket posts, arguing over semantics.

If you're aim here is to convince other people of your point of view, it's not working....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Brian? wrote: »

I’m seriously considering investing in a Mexican ladder company, business is going to be booming.

And ropes. Don't forget the ropes.

And do we know if Mexicans have access to screwdrivers, cable cutters, hacksaws and other rudimentary tools? Because if they do, a fence just won't cut it, if you'll pardon the pun. It's nothing more than a chocolate fireguard that only serves to fool the type of person who thinks that a chocolate fireguard is still a fireguard.

As stupid an idea as the wall is and as much as I hate the idea, an actual wall could actually work. Of course, it would need to be high, it would need to be fairly thick and it would also need to be manned and monitored.

A stupid fence on the other hand? Like I said, it won't keep anyone out but it just might be good enough to fool the lower percentiles.

But yeah, that's no wall and Mexico isn't paying for it so I don't really understand how anyone with the ability to tie their own shoes in the morning would consider this a promise kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

As stupid an idea as the wall is and as much as I hate the idea, an actual wall could actually work. Of course, it would need to be high, it would need to be fairly thick and it would also need to have a manned and monitored.

The terrain's impossible. Canyons, valleys, flooding, remote desert. Laughable idea. A wall can't work. And it won't stop the flow of immigrants via airplanes and legitimate ports of entry.

But, it makes for soundbites and showing cruelty to brown people, which is all today's GOP is about.

• Advertisement

And ropes. Don't forget the ropes.

And do we know if Mexicans have access to screwdrivers, cable cutters, hacksaws and other rudimentary tools? Because if they do, a fence just won't cut it, if you'll pardon the pun. It's nothing more than a chocolate fireguard that only serves to fool the type of person who thinks that a chocolate fireguard is still a fireguard.

As stupid an idea as the wall is and as much as I hate the idea, an actual wall could actually work. Of course, it would need to be high, it would need to be fairly thick and it would also need to be manned and monitored.

A stupid fence on the other hand? Like I said, it won't keep anyone out but it just might be good enough to fool the lower percentiles.

But yeah, that's no wall and Mexico isn't paying for it so I don't really understand how anyone with the ability to tie their own shoes in the morning would consider this a promise kept.

Or they could just invest in properly vetted patrol staff at the border, put money into the judivial system and while we are at it, go back to the way Obama was doing things because it worked (catch and release) and perhaps do something economically to help those Countries from where people are fleeing so that they would be less inclined to get into the US.

But you see, that would suggest that the problem is multi-faceted, and because it can't be condensed into a 3 word chant, it won't work at a rally, so......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Or they could just invest in properly vetted patrol staff at the border, put money into the judivial system and while we are at it, go back to the way Obama was doing things because it worked (catch and release) and perhaps do something economically to help those Countries from where people are fleeing so that they would be less inclined to get into the US.

But you see, that would suggest that the problem is multi-faceted, and because it can't be condensed into a 3 word chant, it won't work at a rally, so......

The actual solution is to exercise soft power in Central America to help of the countries out of poverty and corruption. The US spent decades stomping all over Democratic governments who were in any way left leaning, in a pig headed and short sighted anti communist strategy. Now’s the time to actually use their influence for something good.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hidden in the long grass is the spectre of a faltering economy, the one thing that could do for Trump on its own. Meanwhile he's (not) buying Greenland, threatening China again, insulting the head of the Fed and the Danish PM, blamed Obama for the 250th time for something and "ordered" US companies to come home. Been a very lively week on Planet Trump where the crazy looks like it is starting to take hold big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

peddlelies wrote: »

I'm interested, what was the catalyst? Or was it many straws that broke the back of the donkey?
    If you're to give a road map of your turnaround to the current Trump supporters here, how would that read?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,592 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Carry wrote: »
    I actually decided since my last post here not to post anymore in the Trump presidency thread, because I despair of all that idiocy that man is spouting. However I do skim this thread.

I know, we shouldn't post links to videos, but I found light relief with Trevor Noah's compilation of "Donsplaining" (it's about 20 minutes long). Alone the term Donsplaining made me laugh. And I can only recommend it to all those who still think that Trump is the bigliest president the whole cofveve has ever seen (if that doesn't show how demented he is, I don't know...), and to those who need a laugh in all this worldwide damage this man is doing.

I really, really hope that all the rumours and signs about his imminent (2020) demise are true. I'm fed up with seeing that stupid face and reading about his incoherent tantrums. You can't avoid it when reading the news.
    Actually I truly wish he would drop dead right now.

Sorry about this emotional outpour. But "I just say it as it is" dear Trump supporters, don't I? ;):D

And I gladly accept any ban or whatever. At least it keeps me away from all this depressing stuff.

Great video. My jaysus. Are we living a dream...?

Joe Walsh becomes the second Republican to primary Trump.

Two others are considering joining the race, while Flake (in true Flake style) refuses to rule out a run.

A deplorable bunch for sure but the thoughts of 5 running against Trump makes me remember the old saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There can't be any realistic chance this would go to a primary season though? Need some clarification here as to what needs to happen to trigger an actual set of Republican primaries, because presumably if nothing else it's a relatively uncommon occurrence for an incumbent to be challenged? When's the last time? Bar someone with actual, real national presence I can't see this going anywhere except as a salve to some Reps conscience.

There can't be any realistic chance this would go to a primary season though? Need some clarification here as to what needs to happen to trigger an actual set of Republican primaries, because presumably if nothing else it's a relatively uncommon occurrence for an incumbent to be challenged? When's the last time? Bar someone with actual, real national presence I can't see this going anywhere except as a salve to some Reps conscience.

Don't expect any of them to make it, but they can weaken him, take the focus off the Dems, make Trump look more unhinged (if possible). So they will serve a purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Turns out a year worth of job numbers were overestimated by 20%(500k). Consumer confidence is dropping as well.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/half-million-fewer-jobs-revisions-hit-trump-economy-n1046156

• Advertisement

Just in Joe Walsh, not sure he's exactly a improvement, given he's a damn "birther", that noxious conspiracy theory invented by Trump himself, among other things. Guy's a Tea Party extremist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/08/22/joe-walsh-is-not-your-anti-trump-savior/

https://www.twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/815421946527629312

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement