Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Don't PSVs go for two NCTs a year now? Would be difficult to let a car get into such bad condition I should think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I have never kept a car long enough to need to NCT it so haven't been through the experience. Parents have put a few cars through and none ever failed but again its not too often as they normally change them by the time they are 4 years old. Have a few uncles in NCT well in completely different counties not local. While the job itself isn't too difficult in the fact its repetitive I reckon it would be hard to deal with people who feel hard done by. To be fair if you get a dangerous fail there is something big wrong a bit more than a blown bulb they don't hand them stickers out too often and they are doing it because there is something big wrong that will put you or others in danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I genuinely have no problem with the NCT, don't know why anyone does, yes some fails can be stupid but I think overall it's good for the country and somewhat for road safety, it's at least somewhat good knowing yokes aren't cable tied together!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Always found the people in the NCT reasonable to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Yeah I think the NCT is grand to be fair. I've put a car through it twice and failed once (I knew it would before anyways)
    First time the man gave me a pass advisory on old tyres and explained what it meant to me.
    Second time I didn't have a chance to adjust the handbrake properly and failed (as expected). Everything else was fine so I once I adjusted the handbrake again it sailed through.
    Lads were sound on both occasions and the guy said I almost had the handbrake right. Was just a small bit too weak.

You do see some appalling cars parked outside NCT centers and people wondering why they fail. If they actually had just a bit of common sense we'd all be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Lads I am affiliated, mods remove if I am breaking rules but these are on offer in Top Part motor factors. 10 litres of concentrated Holts screen wash for €6.99. I am only posting as I reckon affiliated or not it is fantastic value.

20180509_171514.jpg

MOD: Banned for letting people know of extremely good value..... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much screenwash does that make? Like they say it’s concentrated so do you dilute it?

I got this one at the weekend in Halfords €5.40 with discount. Obviously the Holts above is a better deal. Normally mix around 1:4 according to the bottle depends how cold it is as well in summer you don’t need it that strong.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=301670&productId=999338&storeId=11101

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much screenwash does that make? Like they say it’s concentrated so do you dilute it?

Dilute in summer, neat in winter. I would put it at roughly 3:1 in summer so makes about 30 litres in theory. You could go neat, more concentrated or less according to your own preferences.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. Does it smell nice? Is it in all Top Part stores or just Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I genuinely have no problem with the NCT, don't know why anyone does, yes some fails can be stupid but I think overall it's good for the country and somewhat for road safety, it's at least somewhat good knowing yokes aren't cable tied together!

+1

You're probably too young to have seen it / remember it, but as recently as the mid 90s, there were plenty of cars driving around in this country with visible rust holes in them. Death traps.

The EU forced car testing on Ireland and to avoid international embarrassment, the government issued a hugely successfull scrappage scheme that took many of these yokes off the road before the NCT was introduced.

Lads I am affiliated.......

Related to ole donie d?

Augeo wrote: »
    Related to ole donie d?

Almost but not quite by law ;)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sounds good. Does it smell nice? Is it in all Top Part stores or just Limerick?

Nationwide. Not sure on the smell, I'm sure it would only smell flippin' garjus though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Small world
    I used to deal with top part limerick and all the other top part stores and independents around the south during my brief spell working in nobby Clarke's wholesale motor factors hq in Dublin.. sales dept processing orders by fax and phone back in the olden days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Spotted a new Volvo V90 in the flesh today.  Hadn't seen one in ages.  Aren't they very sharp looking for an estate.  Really have that shooting brake style, always look like they'd be comfortable at any speed.

Lucky you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Spotted a new Volvo V90 in the flesh today.  Hadn't seen one in ages.  Aren't they very sharp looking for an estate.  Really have that shooting brake style, always look like they'd be comfortable at any speed.

They look fantastic in the right colour. I love Volvo's design these days. It's a pitty their engine selection isn't better... Just had a look on the Irish site for the V90, the petrol hybrid starts at 80 odd grand. All the rest are diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I seen Honda are bringing the Civic saloon back to Ireland from August:

civic-four-door-4.jpg?itok=uAgbq1VR

Going to be built in Turkey and same engine line up as the hatchback apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Looks very like the new prius from that angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I like it.

Is the current civic is made in Turkey too?

Any news ifwe are getting civic si?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

prius-258.jpg?itok=9tHZfRSH

Hatchback is built in the UK. Very unlikely to see the coupe sold in Europe as nobody buys theses type cars here anymore. Even European brand coupes and 3 door fastback hatches like the Scirocco, Astra GTC, Megane have all been dropped as buyers want active lifestyle type crossovers instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Guys just looking for some ideas or advice. I'm thinking of adding a few personal touches to my f10, just to make it a little less ordinary I suppose. Nothing dramatic or boy racer-like, just subtle.

I'm not a fan of the G30 style wise, but I do like the blue M sport brake calipers on the M sport version. I think the standard brakes on the f10 look dreadful. Where could I get such a job done and would it mean changing discs too? Price wise what ball park? I'm also thinking of changing alloys but haven't seen anything genuine from BMW that looks better than the current M sport alloys (M351 style) except maybe M5 but don't think they fit the f10 due to offset. Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The front discs alone for my F30 cost me around €350 ex. VAT. To upgrade the whole braking system you'd be looking at well over a grand anyway.

These are the brakes on mine:

25274866394_e67d984186_c.jpg

Is it this system you're talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Would it not be just a case of painting the current callipers that colour blue? If looks is all that matters here...

The front discs alone for my F30 cost me around €350 ex. VAT. To upgrade the whole braking system you'd be looking at well over a grand anyway.

These are the brakes on mine:

25274866394_e67d984186_c.jpg

Is it this system you're talking about?

That's it MM. Did BMW do that or was it an indie?

Edit. Just saw you're talking about the discs. Yours came with those calipers im guessing?

Would it not be just a case of painting the current callipers that colour blue? If looks is all that matters here...

I could just paint them but Id be weary of making a balls of it. Plus if a brake upgrade improves braking performance then that can only be a good thing.

Wailin wrote: »
    That's it MM. Did BMW do that or was it an indie?

Edit. Just saw you're talking about the discs. Yours came with those calipers im guessing?

The car came from the factory with those upgraded brakes as an option. I had to replace the front discs due to delamination. I bought the new set of discs from JKC BMW in Coleraine and Colm Quinn (where I bought the car) fitted them FOC as a goodwill gesture.
    I could just paint them but Id be weary of making a balls of it. Plus if a brake upgrade improves braking performance then that can only be a good thing.

I've painted the calipers and disc hubs on most of my previous cars. The main part of the job is cleaning and removing as much rust and gunk as possible. After that all you really need do is paint the bits you can see through the alloys. Use Hammerite direct to rust paint and Halfords petrol resistant lacquer and the job will last years.

You can get those ///M stickers like mine on ebay. SInce mine are factory there's a layer of lacquer over them so they won't fall off. You could do the same yourself with the last layer of lacquer.

Edit: Don't forget that a better set of tyres will also improve braking performance :D

Mx valeting does it down in the midwest. One of his specialties I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

If you were lucky to find a car that is breaking you might get the OEM parts relatively cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The car came from the factory with those upgraded brakes as an option. I had to replace the front discs due to delamination. I bought the new set of discs from JKC BMW in Coleraine and Colm Quinn (where I bought the car) fitted them FOC as a goodwill gesture.

I've painted the calipers and disc hubs on most of my previous cars. The main part of the job is cleaning and removing as much rust and gunk as possible. After that all you really need do is paint the bits you can see through the alloys. Use Hammerite direct to rust paint and Halfords petrol resistant lacquer and the job will last years.

You can get those ///M stickers like mine on ebay. SInce mine are factory there's a layer of lacquer over them so they won't fall off. You could do the same yourself with the last layer of lacquer.

Edit: Don't forget that a better set of tyres will also improve braking performance :D
    Halfords petrol resistant lacquer is next to useless. If the op wants a long lasting job they would be better off getting a proper 2k paint with hardner and painting it on. It will offer much better protection against stone damage and rust compared to hammerite and halfords petrol resistant(it isn't) lacquer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Petrol is now well over €1.60 here.

Bunch of gougers.

Think I'll give it a go! What's the best paint for the job? Im thinking red because the car is dark grey which goes well with red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

pajor wrote: »
    Petrol is now well over €1.60 here.

Bunch of gougers.

€1.42 at home, I filled mine yesterday and didn't even have change for a pint out of a hundred..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

vintagevrs wrote: »
    If you were lucky to find a car that is breaking you might get the OEM parts relatively cheap.

I don't think the F10 ever came with the option of painted brake calipers bar maybe the M5.

I think having them painted by a pro or doing it yourself is the best option.

I would rather the BMW performance yellow if it was me rather than the blue.

BMW-_M-_Performance-_Parts-_USA-7.jpg

I would rather the BMW performance yellow if it was me rather than the blue.

BMW-_M-_Performance-_Parts-_USA-7.jpg

With dark grey though?? The car has the M sport badge with blue/navy/red on the rear and red is the one that catches the eye against dark grey.

41999921332_6917e69fab_c.jpg

• Advertisement

The yellow on grey would be a fantastic contrast imo. Missus is doing our sitting room up and its mustard yellow and grey everywhere. They are two colours that look great together.

Food for thought alright! I had a quick look at DIY jobs...some remove the calipers altogether which would be a much better and cleaner job. Not something I'd like to tackle though. I reckon spraying with them in place would be a disaster (in my case anyway).

Food for thought alright! I had a quick look at DIY jobs...some remove the calipers altogether which would be a much better and cleaner job. Not something I'd like to tackle though. I reckon spraying with them in place would be a disaster (in my case anyway).

You'd never spray them in place. If leaving them in place Painting them with a brush is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ross94

Lol Liberty changing terms/conditions on new policies, Any use of 3rd party extension the other car now needs an existing policy in place already.

An abundance of E36 and Is200 for sale shortly.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Halfords petrol resistant lacquer is next to useless. If the op wants a long lasting job they would be better off getting a proper 2k paint with hardner and painting it on. It will offer much better protection against stone damage and rust compared to hammerite and halfords petrol resistant(it isn't) lacquer.

I used it so that it wouldn't break down from having wheel cleaner sprayed on it every week and it didn't even after 1.5 years. Never tried petrol on it though!

2k paint and hardener would actually be a better option. I sprayed mine in place and didn't want brush strokes. Not issues doing it as long as proper masking is done and any overspray on the discs comes off easily and quickly with use of the brakes.
    Think I'll give it a go! What's the best paint for the job? Im thinking red because the car is dark grey which goes well with red.

As I mentioned, Hammerite but if you can get 2k paint and hardener as JohnBoy mentioned, go for that instead. On yours I would go red, the blue wouldn't go too well from what I've seen in pictures.

As JBJ mentioned, MX Valeting do a lot of caliper painting and he's very good. I'm following him on FB and he has a brake paint job posted every few weeks and the results look great. Might be a better idea since you haven't done it before.

I'd agree about brush strokes but I done it the hard way by taking them off and cleaning them properly(took me ages to get all the brake dust off)and spraying them with aerosols(not 2k) it looked great but it wasn't a long lasting job.

With another car I left them in place and used a brush and 2k marine paint which tbh went on well with a brush but obviously not as good as spraying. This was a much better job in terms of longevity and you'd have to look really close to see they were painted. With the wheels on it became even less obvious.

I understand though if you are particular(I admit I am too) then a sprayed finish will always look better especially for someone into detailing.

If someone hasn't got time though or can't take them off and just wants a nice improvement then painting them with a brush is a good option imo. If they are cleaned relatively well and the proper paint is used the finish will last a long time.

• Advertisement

Was going to clean the car this morning but now its raining also doing about 450km in it this evening into tonight so the inch of flies of the front of it after makes the effort seem not worth it. One bad thing about summer you get up with a car that has both sides and rear clean and then the front just covered in flies particularly if you even attempt to drive in darkness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi, not sure this is worthy of a new thread so posting here.

There is an Ask Me Anything topic in other parts of Boards, this one is a car salesman:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057838076

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/312594/sheriff-granted-order-tosell-car-seized-duringcab-operation-in-limerick.html
    A man who owes almost €800k to the tax man is to have a high-powered car that was seized by CAB forfeited to the State and sold off.

At Newcastle West Court, Revenue Sheriff Plunkett Hayes sought an order allowing him to sell the white Volkswagen Passat which belongs to Richard O’Brien of Monks Hill, Rathkeale, who has outstanding tax liabilities of €789.291.

:pac:

Could be a 240bhp bi turbo 4 motion one but unlikely and even at that 240 is hardly a mad high powered car. Most likely a 150bhp 2.0tdi.

You’d want to be seriously brave buying that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement