Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold Car , Problems with buyer today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I'd be the other way around - I'd be happier do a deal from home.

Should provide a degree of comfort to a prospective seller that you've nothing to hide.

and possibly a prospective nutjob who now knows where you live.

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Did you really not know there was anything wrong with it?

The car is 11 years old. I can tell you for a fact, without ever looking at one, that there is something wrong with every 11 year old car.

In fact there is more than something wrong, there will be loads of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

laoisfan wrote: »
    and possibly a prospective nutjob who now knows where you live.

Each to their own.

But you will know where the nutjob lives too from their name and address they fill in on the logbook. I have sold my last 4 cars from the house, I have taken photocopies each time of logbook after it was filled in and then I have sent it on. You get the odd looper texting offers on the blind but that's why a special "car sales phone" number should be used :D.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

But you will know where the nutjob lives too from their name and address they fill in on the logbook. I have sold my last 4 cars from the house, I have taken photocopies each time of logbook after it was filled in and then I have sent it on. You get the odd looper texting offers on the blind but that's why a special "car sales phone" number should be used :D.

Agreed.

I think it's easy enough to weed out the potentially serious buyer from the messers/serial texters/low ballers/tyre kickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭goochy

this thing about people worried about randomers and nutjobs turning up at things homes to buy things is a sign of the society we live in today - being overly suspicious of strangers - when most people are grand. Thank god I don't have that mentality and view my fellow man like that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

visual wrote: »
    And it's this nativity that unscrupulous sellers rely on.

It doesn't have to be unscrupulous though.

There are many legitimate reasons why the seller may not be the person on the logbook.

The biggest problem is making out to any prospective buyer that if the seller isn't the person who's named on the logbook that they should run.

There's a lot of room for honesty in this game, from both sides. If we aren't all socagey by nature, things could be much better for us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...There are many legitimate reasons why the seller may not be the person on the logbook...

Apart from being a car trader I'm struggling to think of any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Unregistered flipping cars bought at auction or elsewhere and doing so frequently doesn't want anyone coming back to them for what ever reasons but most likely car sold wasn't up to the description or impression given.

Even if they only sold 1 car a month sooner or later someone is going to get screwed over and seller disappear behind screen of invisibility. Burner phone, sale in car park, selling for someone else.

Unregistered flipping cars bought at auction or elsewhere and doing so frequently doesn't want anyone coming back to them for what ever reasons but most likely car sold wasn't up to the description or impression given.

Even if they only sold 1 car a month sooner or later someone is going to get screwed over and seller disappear behind screen of invisibility. Burner phone, sale in car park, selling for someone else.

to give a good and genuine example, that i've experienced.

my mothers cars; she up until recently drove cheap enough cars and we would always move them on privately. my parents were together 30 years before they married, so my mother still has her maiden name on most of her paperwork, mostly for convenience sake. her car is in the name "Mary Byrne" and when she is trading up, i would generally look after selling her old car as my 50 odd year old mother isn't very good at it. I don't live at home and naturally took my fathers last name so my name is "Toyota Fanboy" and i am selling a car in the name of a female with a different second name to my own at an address that isn't the one registered on the logbook.

but it's entirely legit, but would you ever believe it? no.

another;

when i bought my Corolla, the chap was as honest as the day is long. He told me straight up he works for a main dealership during the day and he would personally purchase most of their trade sale stuff and dickie it up and sell it on himself. the garage trusted him and were happy and he's happy to make a few quid. he says look, it was traded in at "x" garage, i bought it, fitted two tyres, got the headlights focused, had it valeted and NCT'd it. it's there, it's €x euros, it's like any private deal, it's sold as seen. It does seem like a good car, i can't see any outstanding issues with it, but i don't know of it's past.

he was honest, i knew what i was getting into. the car was absolutely fine, 12 months later all it failed it's next NCT on was a seized caliper, 15k miles later, hardly his fault.

maybe he's dodging the taxman, but what's the harm there, really?

private individuals often deal in second hand phones, laptops and tablets, white goods and appliances, even animals and pets and we are happy to buy second hand with unknown history. why are we so bent out of shape when someone deals in second hand cars privately? it's just like any other consumer good.

i'm not saying there aren't dodgy characters out there, clocking cars, printing fake NCT certs, removing check engine light bulbs etc, but there isn't really anything inherently out of line by flipping a few used cars, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

goochy wrote: »
    this thing about people worried about randomers and nutjobs turning up at things homes to buy things is a sign of the society we live in today - being overly suspicious of strangers - when most people are grand. Thank god I don't have that mentality and view my fellow man like that !

I've sold two cars from my home. One was fine, a fellow boardsie in fact. The other was a nutter who got very aggressive when the clutch went after he bought it. and dont think you can rely on the guards either. I'd never sell from my house again.

• Advertisement

Not accusing you of anything but DD is full of chancers posing as genuine private sellers.
    They don't know the history of the car fix it up quickly and if that means clearing the faults fake nct disk they do it. If that is disconnecting brake pads wear indicator or covering removing bulb it's a quick flip buyer beware seller disappears.

It like the rationale for hiding reg plate doesn't want someone using reg on clone vehicle etc

But it more to do with nct can be checked on line
    Or if it is more expensive to hide it's import or mileage.

I personally don't care about tax dodging but 1 lady owner contact mick 085 xxxxx meet in car park cash sale it's not for me.

Much better to buy form owner who had the car for a while. You know who they are by name on log book at the address registered. They know you because your name is put in log book

I don't expect any car to be perfect but I expect the seller to be honest and genuine. Agree price and that's it. I take car and seller has cash.
    No warranty implied or given.

I don't expect fraud discover car is under HP or stolen etc... there was a lot of cars bought by forged bankers draft sold in car parks for cash only to be returned to original owner and buyer left out of pocket.

I'm sure the is some genuine sellers but the odds are stacked against a buyer meeting genuine seller with disposable SIM in car park selling for someone else

I'm sure the is some genuine sellers but the odds are stacked against a buyer meeting genuine seller with disposable SIM in car park selling for someone else

honestly, imo an awful awful lot of it is the consumer leaving themselves wide open to being had.

typical attitude is, something like

- i know **** all about cars, but i really like that Golf
    - i'l bring my dad who'l pretent to be a mechanic on the day who'l pretent to dip the spark plugs for coolant
    - i'l pay in cash and not worry because i heard somewhere before that consumer rights applies to all car sales
    - everything will be fine, it's a VW, german engineering, vorsprung durch technik
    - drives home, engine falls out and it's a previous Cat C write off
    - now it's the sellers fault. they may or may not have known, you can't prove it, you are snookered.
    - a mechanic and a motorcheck would have prevented all this irrespective of what name is on the logbook and whether it is or isn't the person selling the car

look, even if you are only spending €1000 on a banger, what's €75 to protect your investment? you rent a mechanic for an hour for €50 and you spend €25 on a motorcheck, then your arse is about as covered as it can be, but yet virtually nobody does it and for some reason, this is the sellers fault? Take reasonable precaution to protect yourself and your finances and the "con-men" cant get you.

there'l always be villans if we allow ourselves so easily to become victims.

to give a good and genuine example, that i've experienced.

my mothers cars; she up until recently drove cheap enough cars and we would always move them on privately. my parents were together 30 years before they married, so my mother still has her maiden name on most of her paperwork, mostly for convenience sake. her car is in the name "Mary Byrne" and when she is trading up, i would generally look after selling her old car as my 50 odd year old mother isn't very good at it. I don't live at home and naturally took my fathers last name so my name is "Toyota Fanboy" and i am selling a car in the name of a female with a different second name to my own at an address that isn't the one registered on the logbook.

but it's entirely legit, but would you ever believe it? no.

another;

when i bought my Corolla, the chap was as honest as the day is long. He told me straight up he works for a main dealership during the day and he would personally purchase most of their trade sale stuff and dickie it up and sell it on himself. the garage trusted him and were happy and he's happy to make a few quid. he says look, it was traded in at "x" garage, i bought it, fitted two tyres, got the headlights focused, had it valeted and NCT'd it. it's there, it's €x euros, it's like any private deal, it's sold as seen. It does seem like a good car, i can't see any outstanding issues with it, but i don't know of it's past.

he was honest, i knew what i was getting into. the car was absolutely fine, 12 months later all it failed it's next NCT on was a seized caliper, 15k miles later, hardly his fault.

maybe he's dodging the taxman, but what's the harm there, really?

private individuals often deal in second hand phones, laptops and tablets, white goods and appliances, even animals and pets and we are happy to buy second hand with unknown history. why are we so bent out of shape when someone deals in second hand cars privately? it's just like any other consumer good.

i'm not saying there aren't dodgy characters out there, clocking cars, printing fake NCT certs, removing check engine light bulbs etc, but there isn't really anything inherently out of line by flipping a few used cars, is there?

I think I'd pass on those tbh.

First one would have a potentially dodgy title (can you sign for your Mum?), and the second one - I'd sooner have no part of tax evasion.

I think I'd pass on those tbh.

First one would have a potentially dodgy title (can you sign for your Mum?), and the second one - I'd sooner have no part of tax evasion.

well that's totally your call to make.

i don't have to sign for my mother, she's still alive and has the use of her hands, when the new owner fills out their details, i can pop the logbook back to mam who can sign it herself and pop it in the post.

very moral of you to want to have no part in tax evasion, but it's frankly none of your business. it's unlikely, but you don't know he's not declaring it.

if you ever get a tradesman around to your house, when you pay him, do you always say "make sure you lodge that now like a good man, don't just put it under the mattress".

even if you buy from a dealer, you don't know if that particular sale is going to be fully above board if you pay cash.

saying you'd walk because the seller may not pay tax on the transaction is pitiful imo.

well that's totally your call to make.

i don't have to sign for my mother, she's still alive and has the use of her hands, when the new owner fills out their details, i can pop the logbook back to mam who can sign it herself and pop it in the post.

very moral of you to want to have no part in tax evasion, but it's frankly none of your business. it's unlikely, but you don't know he's not declaring it.

if you ever get a tradesman around to your house, when you pay him, do you always say "make sure you lodge that now like a good man, don't just put it under the mattress".

even if you buy from a dealer, you don't know if that particular sale is going to be fully above board if you pay cash.

saying you'd walk because the seller may not pay tax on the transaction is pitiful imo.

I'd want to see the VLC signed and posted, and be given a copy of it, and it's very much part of my business if I suspect fraud is going on. I'm the buyer after all.

But as you rightly said it'd be totally my call to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭goochy

Toyotafanbio , your attitude to tax evasion is so Irish and is why we are one of the least law complaint countries in Europe.

Blaming the victims sums it up.

They are taking things at face value know little about cars tippex TB and service at xxx miles on cam cover. Seller telling porkies.

You wouldn't be so happy if you got handed fake notes and didn't spot it until later.
    You be first to check what name was put in log book and the number they phone from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

All sorted now can this be deleted :)

Blaming the victims sums it up.

They are taking things at face value know little about cars tippex TB and service at xxx miles on cam cover. Seller telling porkies.

You wouldn't be so happy if you got handed fake notes and didn't spot it until later.
    You be first to check what name was put in log book and the number they phone from.

yeah, if the victim left themselves wide open, they are to blame. we have a certain amount of personal responsibility in this life and if we were all a bit more savvy it would make being "a criminal" much more difficult and a much less desirable sport. For the same reason insurance companies don't pay out for a stolen car if you left the keys in it. if you don't take reasonable precaution against stupid **** happening to you, why wouldn't it happen.

taking things at face value because you don't know isn't really ok. "ignorance is not an excuse".

when i need a health check, i go to a GP
    when i'm buying a house, i hire a surveyor
    etc etc

when i'm buying a car, i know nothing and hope for the best...

it doesn't really stack up as an argument.

of course, you're right, i wouldn't be happy if i got fake notes, but i'm responsible and check them. it's only logical, all you have to do is look at the note, it doesn't make more than a split second.

and yes i absolutely do google the phone number of cars i'm going to view. it's just a logical precaution.

we are living in such a culture of "i'm not liable"... there must be an organisation, or forum or injuries board somewhere to take responsibility and look after my ass for my own stupid mistakes.

if you go into something you know **** all about and take no precautions, you are going to have a bad time. it's basic human instinct if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

pudzey101 wrote: »
    All sorted now can this be deleted :)

What was the outcome?

• Advertisement

....we have a certain amount of personal responsibility in this life.....

That'd include paying taxes on all income presumably?

Can a mod delete this thread for me please :)

absolutely.

but by the time the notes are in my bank account or in my wallet, i've paid tax on them.

when i hand them to the seller, they become his income and it's up to him whether he pays tax on them or not, frankly, his business not mine. i can't see it affecting the karma of the inanimate piece of machinery i have just bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Can a mod delete this thread for me please :)

At least tell us whether or not it was a guard that rang you?

Patww79 wrote: »

i wouldn't think so. i've sold countless cars and as a seller, i've never once (well actually, just once) had a buyer call me back and say the car was giving trouble. the one time it did happen was with a €150 car, so that'l give you an idea of the kind of knuckle dragger you are dealing with at that price point.

i've also bought more cars than i care to think about. most have went off without a hitch and wen't on to give months or years of good service. i don't think i've ever been properly duped with an car and all i do is abide by a few simple rules, do a motorcheck, google the number, view the sellers other ads, google known issues with that particular car.

it's easy when you hang around here to form bad opinions as people only ever take the negative **** to the internet. thousands of effortless, genuine transactions happen every single day, it's just that nobody signs up to boards.ie to say "i bought a car in tescos car park 12 months ago from a man with an 089 number and everything went absolutely fine".

No lads no guards involved sorted out with the girl over the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Patww79 wrote: »

+1

Obviously none of our business and if the guy doesn't want to share thats his own prerogative but helping them fuels their flawed self-entitled ideology which fcuking gets me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That's not how that works here. In Germany maybe, because taxes there are levied to keep the country going, while here its a case of "ah Jaysis, I'll be shcrewing that bashtard for every cent I can get".
    The fact is that many people here are, well not quite crooks, but you certainly have to cut every corner to survive. Because the state knows that fact, taxes are deliberately set too high to compensate for the evasion. So with a certain level of trickery, you're actually paying the right amount. If you are now being German about it and declare even a penny found in the street to be absolutely sure the state gets every single cent you owe them, you are in fact overpaying. Actually forget it, the same goes for Germany and everywhere else. The state wants to screw you to the max and if you let them, you won't get any thanks or help when you need care in your old age and the home costs €3k a month. Fcuk 'em, they'll only piss it away on rich bankers, vanity projects and election promises.

Advertisement