Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sold Car , Problems with buyer today

Options
  • 02-02-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Sorted thread can be deleted :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

pudzey101 wrote: »
    hi all i sold my 05 passat on 23rd December , got a phone call today from the buyer claiming it wasnt taxed to the point i said it was (it was) , she said there was a false tax disc on the screen of a Peugeot model (have no idea about that) also she said the engine fell out 3-4 days later due to a bad engine mount . i had my mechanic check it out before i sold it (showed her receipts )

and her dad even came along to double check for any faults and claimed to be a mechanic himself.

Anyway got a phone-call about an hour later from the guards saying the woman wasn't happy etc etc and all i could basically say is the deal was done back in December why only ring now and it was a private sale .

whats most likely to happen here would anyone know ? im sure this happens all the time , its just her bad luck things went wrong with the car because when i had it during my ownership it was 100% ??

Private sale - no come back on their part. So don't worry about it.

In fact, I'd bet that wasn't even a genuine phonecall from the Garda. It's not a criminal matter and has nothing to do with them. If she were to go to the guards, that's exactly what she would be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kkelly77 wrote: »
    In fact, I'd bet that wasn't even a genuine phonecall from the Garda. It's not a criminal matter and has nothing to do with them. If she were to go to the guards, that's exactly what she would be told.

The legal principle governing a private sale is 'caveat emptor' - 'let the buyer beware'. Unless there was a dangerous fault which you knew about (and it's up to the buyer to prove that you did), she has no comeback. And she brought her Dad who claimed to be a mechanic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Motortax.ie will show the tax history. If an engine fell out of a car I'd just bought I wouldn't wait over a month.

Tell her to that the car was free from defects when you sold it and if she, or anyone else, contacts you about the car again you'll report her to the Gardai for harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I would ring the Garda station back and ask to speak to the sergeant or more senior member and establish why one of their colleagues was interfering in a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

oh no im not worried about it , it could happen anyone , i could buy a car tonight and the engine blow tomorrow :/ . it was a genuine garda he rang from my local station and i recognized his name tho :) ok thanks for the advice ,

• Advertisement

see i cant check on motor tax website now because its not in my name , is that was this would be called a civil matter yes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

It's completely academic when it was taxed until,

because the new owner is only liable from date of sale and doesn't pay any back tax no matter how long over due.

As for "the engine fell out " is not a realistic description of a loose engine mount and sounds a bit melodramatic , caveat emptor

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Stop communicating completely with these loons. Seriously. Not worth the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Since this is a private sale, tell them not to call you again OP, i.e. tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it's a scam trying to get you to dish out a partial refund. Tell them to take that long walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Did you really not know there was anything wrong with it? Incredibly bad luck on their part that the car crocked within a month of them getting it.

I bought my car off a guy who ASSURED me there wasn't anything wrong with it. All checked by a mechanic etc. by the time I got it home it crocked and needed a new ECU. I bought about 1200 below market value and spent 700 fixing it.

There is no doubt whatsoever that the guy knew it was a lemon even though he said it wasn't.

Maybe you didn't know yours was a lemon....

But maybe you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

it was a genuine garda he rang from my local station and i recognized his name tho :) ok thanks for the advice ,

If it was them they are interfering in something that has nothing to do with them, report them as was said to their sergeant, those days of throwing around their power are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Did you really not know there was anything wrong with it? Incredibly bad luck on their part that the car crocked within a month of them getting it.

I bought my car off a guy who ASSURED me there wasn't anything wrong with it. All checked by a mechanic etc. by the time I got it home it crocked and needed a new ECU. I bought about 1200 below market value and spent 700 fixing it.

There is no doubt whatsoever that the guy knew it was a lemon even though he said it wasn't.

But maybe you did.

Private sale tough ****
    Harsh yes but reality

If you don't want to play with the big boys i.e adults then go to a dealer and pay a nice premium to him for the same car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭goochy

Whether he knew or not doesn't matter . Buy from a dealer if u want comeback .i would ask to speak to guard and say ur not happy about getting a ph. call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

The garda calling you is the weird bit for me. Surely they know there is no come back in a private sale to even bother picking up the phone to call you. Did she talk him into it or do they know each other personally I wonder.. Kinda weird but ye don't answer her calls again. I'd advise that chap at the garda station to mind his own business if you find him calling you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Report that Garda to GSOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

Ask to met with your local Superintendant and demand a written apology. No apology forthcoming, formally report the Garda to GSOC. It is a clear abuse of power but I would give the opportunity for an apology first.

Also, at the Station, make a formal complaint of harassment against the buyer. (Your evidence includes the Garda phonecall).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Either the Garda in question is very thick and doesn't know the law regarding private sales and it being a civil matter, or he knows the buyer in question and has abused his power by trying to use his position to get you to refund the buyer. To be honest I'd be tempted to talk to the station's Superintendent about such behavior.

As for the gombeen buyer, don't communicate with them anymore. These people have no problem buying privately when the price is right but still expect dealer level comeback. Yes it's unfortunate that the engine died but this is the risk you take by buying private.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had a Fiat Punto, which the head gasket went in.

Got it repaired then it had another problem with the battery, and I couldn't be bothered so got another car.

It was lying up a few weeks when a local deliveryman knocked in saying he was looking for a Punto for parts, and I gave him it's history and he bought it for a few hundred euro.

Jump started it and took it for a test drive beforehand with his "mechanic"

Next thing I know I am getting texts every five minutes about two weeks later claiming the head was gone, had clearly not been replaced etc.

Put him onto my mechanic, turns out the guy was known locally for buying cars for "parts", then claiming they were sold a lemon.

My mechanic had had to deal with him three different times.

He rapidly went away when he realised he'd been rumbled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

bilbot79 wrote: »

But maybe you did.

Are you for real?

You bought it for 1200 below market value, had to spend 700 getting it fixed leaving you 500 all in, still below market value.

Moneywise, you did okay.

On the other hand you bought a car privately, took it as some kind of reassurance that the seller said it was perfect and it was all checked by a mechanic, as though that means anything at all. It doesn't.

I'm a professional kite flier. My kittens are radioactive. Chuck Norris is chained up in my basement. He wasn't that hard to beat into submission. My airplane is in perfect working order, really. I had it checked by an aeromagical mechanic. You should buy it and believe everything I'm telling you, okay?

Yeah. You get the point.

Take that bitter pill yourself. Swallow it and let it pass. Live and learn.

OP, they bought the car. Her own fault (as it was with Bilbo here) not bringing a mechanic themselves to check it out. Her Da thinking he's Edd China's long lost cousin and her thinking she's Mike Brewers wheeler dealer..eh...ing love child is their own fantasy.

You have your money and they have their car. That's the end of it. Learn the lesson and buy a burner sim when you sell a car. No messing with asshats like yer wan next time. A tenner well spent.

• Advertisement

thanks lads for all the help , i actually should have bought a separate sim for selling it !! :) ill know next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

hi all i sold my 05 passat on 23rd December , got a phone call today from the buyer claiming it wasnt taxed to the point i said it was (it was) , she said there was a false tax disc on the screen of a Peugeot model (have no idea about that) also she said the engine fell out 3-4 days later due to a bad engine mount . i had my mechanic check it out before i sold it (showed her receipts )

and her dad even came along to double check for any faults and claimed to be a mechanic himself.

Anyway got a phone-call about an hour later from the guards saying the woman wasn't happy etc etc and all i could basically say is the deal was done back in December why only ring now and it was a private sale .

whats most likely to happen here would anyone know ? im sure this happens all the time , its just her bad luck things went wrong with the car because when i had it during my ownership it was 100% ??

She waited nearly 5 weeks after the engine fell out to get back to you . Its a likely story.
    I have a feeling from reading this that the car might have had a tax disc from a peugeot but she might have put it there herself, maybe her last car was a peugeot and had tax left on it.
    Regarding the guard ringing you, probably a friend of hers or quite possibly married to her. As the other posters say , civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

oh no im not worried about it , it could happen anyone , i could buy a car tonight and the engine blow tomorrow :/ . it was a genuine garda he rang from my local station and i recognized his name tho :) ok thanks for the advice ,

You should find out when the Garda is on duty and drop down to report that a person who bought a car from you privately has been harassing you, just to see the look on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

bazz26 wrote: »
    Either the Garda in question is very thick and doesn't know the law regarding private sales and it being a civil matter, or he knows the buyer in question and has abused his power by trying to use his position to get you to refund the buyer. To be honest I'd be tempted to talk to the station's Superintendent about such behavior.

As for the gombeen buyer, don't communicate with them anymore. These people have no problem buying privately when the price is right but still expect dealer level comeback. Yes it's unfortunate that the engine died but this is the risk you take by buying private.

I'm thinking this tbh. Absolutely unacceptable if it is the case too and I'd urge yo pudzy to go and make a complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Next time you are selling a car

Walk into tesco
    Buy a samsung mobile for 7e with 5e free credit on sim
    leave in glovebox after they sign logbook :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

testicle wrote: »

GSOC probably already know... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

it was a genuine garda he rang from my local station and i recognized his name tho

it's possible that this chancer got someone to impersonate the local Garda, either way I would not let that go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Are you for real?

You bought it for 1200 below market value, had to spend 700 getting it fixed leaving you 500 all in, still below market value.

Moneywise, you did okay.

On the other hand you bought a car privately, took it as some kind of reassurance that the seller said it was perfect and it was all checked by a mechanic, as though that means anything at all. It doesn't.

I'm a professional kite flier. My kittens are radioactive. Chuck Norris is chained up in my basement. He wasn't that hard to beat into submission. My airplane is in perfect working order, really. I had it checked by an aeromagical mechanic. You should buy it and believe everything I'm telling you, okay?

Yeah. You get the point.

Take that bitter pill yourself. Swallow it and let it pass. Live and learn.

OP, they bought the car. Her own fault (as it was with Bilbo here) not bringing a mechanic themselves to check it out. Her Da thinking he's Edd China's long lost cousin and her thinking she's Mike Brewers wheeler dealer..eh...ing love child is their own fantasy.

You have your money and they have their car. That's the end of it. Learn the lesson and buy a burner sim when you sell a car. No messing with asshats like yer wan next time. A tenner well spent.

I knew I was probably getting a dud and the fact it was cheap gave me enough space to fix any problems. I knew that.

The point was that even when people know the car they are selling is bad they can still say it's fine. The OP may well have known his car was a dud but doesn't care. If that was the case, I find it immoral even if it's not illegal. I don't know if it was though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

testicle wrote: »

All this talk about reporting the Cop & ringing his Sergeant etc is fine in theory but is it worth having a pissed off Cop on your ass for as long as he's in your local Barracks? The OP might be in a rural area & the last thing you need is to give the law an excuse to hassle you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Jesus. wrote: »
    All this talk about reporting the Cop & ringing his Sergeant etc is fine in theory but is it worth having a pissed off Cop on your ass for as long as he's in your local Barracks? The OP might be in a rural area & the last thing you need is to give the law an excuse to hassle you.

+1000. Far better to have a quiet life well away from the law.

Advertisement