Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car hesitating

• 01-02-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Il try explain this best way I can as I'm not a mechanic, I bought a 04 1.8 opel vectra, petrol, it needed a couple of bits so I put in the following 2 new front tyres, outter tie rods, serviced oil and filter and also new thermostat (genuine part) and last week the engine management code came up p0170 and comes up after a couple of days of wiping it, when I start the car from cold sometimes it feels like it is going to cut out, and when I set of she starts to stutter and chuggs for maybe 30-45 secs, then seems to run fine also I noticed when on the motorway it hesitates if I have the accelerator pressed a little but if I floor it she's fine, I've cleaned the MAF sensor and no joy, just looking for abit of advice, as it is driving me f*** ing insane now at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The problem could be due to a build up of carbon in the throttle housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are the HT leads ok?

Had a similar problem years ago and it was down to cracks in the insulation and damp getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tomo92

I was thinking of cleaning the throttle body as its a quick and cheap way to make sure it's not that, the ignition leads seem fine no visible cracks and plugs seem grand too, I cleaned the maf sensor with a bit of spray and let it dry and still the same then I disconnected it (not for too long) and still the same, I have a previous nct report and it failed on lambda sensor last time 0.92 and then passed again in August at 1.03 so I am guessing not 100% that 1 was changed and it might be the other 1 is faulty could that be a possibility? Or am I just hoping for a simple fix

• Advertisement

UPDATE: had the car up with the mechanic today and he done a smoke test and bang there it is lambda sensor not holding its volts, when I got the car it had a universal lambda sensor in it, the mechanic said that he has put them in for people and a couple of days later they'd fail the nct, get a genuine one with the plug of to scrap yard for me tomorrow, just in time as well NCT on Monday, thanks for all the advice.

So, was the lambda was causing it to run rich?

This normally means it's dirty and a good clean will sort it.

So, was the lambda was causing it to run rich?

This normally means it's dirty and a good clean will sort it.

Yea that was the cause of it, I would clean it and put it back in only for its a universal lambda sensor and they can fail 2 after putting it in, but today I got one in the scrap today €25 so hopefully problem solved, touch wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

tomo92 wrote: »
    UPDATE: had the car up with the mechanic today and he done a smoke test and bang there it is lambda sensor not holding its volts, when I got the car it had a universal lambda sensor in it, the mechanic said that he has put them in for people and a couple of days later they'd fail the nct, get a genuine one with the plug of to scrap yard for me tomorrow, just in time as well NCT on Monday, thanks for all the advice.

But a new one. One from a breakers yard that's been lying idle for who knows how long is only asking for trouble.

• Advertisement

But a new one. One from a breakers yard that's been lying idle for who knows how long is only asking for trouble.

To be honest if I had time on my side I would, I hve a NCT Monday and I rang up this yesterday to get the genuine part but I couldn't have it until lunch time Tuesday, so I have to take my chances, and 25 isn't 2 bad, il clean her up with a bit of carb spray and hope for the best Monday.

Advertisement