Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

tc20 wrote: »
    a very rusty Rangie - I had a look on the screen but there was no NCT - not sure of the year from the reg whether it would be NCT exempt or not, but i'd say its being held together with sticky tape and bungee cords judging by the state of the tailgate.

Also, a Renault 9 automatic. I haven't seen this around the area before, but I'd hazard a guess that its one owner from new going by the mature occupants - nice to see if it is the case.

That range rover looks like it was an old service registered vehicle or something maybe Im wrong but from the colour of it and the colour of the plates. Or else it's just a common old county cork registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

a very rusty Rangie - I had a look on the screen but there was no NCT - not sure of the year from the reg whether it would be NCT exempt or not, but i'd say its being held together with sticky tape and bungee cords judging by the state of the tailgate.

Also, a Renault 9 automatic. I haven't seen this around the area before, but I'd hazard a guess that its one owner from new going by the mature occupants - nice to see if it is the case.

God those Renault 9's were horrible yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

I put the Range Rover reg into Motorcheck, and it's coming up as 1979, so it would qualify as NCT exempt, but jany the thing would crumble in any kind of an impact by the looks of it.

jca wrote: »
    God those Renault 9's were horrible yokes.

ECOTY in 1982!! beating the Opel Ascona into 2nd, and the Mk2 Polo in 3rd.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Young fellow driving this very nice123 wagon in Cavan town today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

I see buzz lightyear is doing a cameo appearance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

My uncles 93' Skoda. Crap car really. Bad timing belt, black fumes, squeakiest and loudest engine I've ever heard. He has more than enough money to replace it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

tc20, I absolutely love that Renault spot! There is something very nice about an original Irish car still being used as everyday transport, and especially by long term owners.

@ Duke - here's a couple from Lanzarote holidays last year - I thought these would give you the horn when I saw them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

Saw a mad truck on the M1 this evening. Had a reg with 55 D on it:confused:. It was an old American style pick up truck and had the word 'International' on the back. Is is really a truck from the 1950's? It seemed to be able to move along no problem in peak hour traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Something like this? Could have anything in it up to a 7.4 V8 standard.

1004cct_01_o1950_chevy_pickup_truckcustom_front_bumper_zpspsojmnpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Blue 1982 Mercedes coming out of Ardkeen Stores in Waterford earlier today.....wish I got a pic

That's very similar to it Big Nasty but it wasn't that nice. It was more of a dark greenish colour and was more rusty and well used. It also looked more like a truck than that one in the picture.

I found it on Motorcheck! It's a 1955 International Harvester R110 LHD 2DR. Reg 55 D 120002.

appledrop wrote: »
    That's very similar to it Big Nasty but it wasn't that nice. It was more of a dark greenish colour and was more rusty and well used. It also looked more like a truck than that one in the picture.

Not saying it was one of these but this is one of my favourite style of truck mods I love the natural old rust body's with a fukoff engine and chassis underneath

21myg55.jpg

This a 1952 chevy rat rod truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Passed a tidy 88 Mitsubishi Lancer on the M50 yesterday, like this one:

544507d1209721140-arch-rivals-series-3-lancer-86-vs-civic-86-2823781_1_full_s1v_pakwheels-com-.jpg

Then saw a pristine Starlet in Cabra, like this:

1986_Toyota_Starlet_35395.jpg

Finally a mint W123 estate on a ZV plate on the M50 last night, like:

dscn0705.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Driving down the N7 yesterday was a Black Mk1 VW Golf gti, reg number 846 YZL turned into Naas at the big ball,

Still has a bit of character.

b318sip I know the very Lancer you're talking about. It's a lovely car, 88d13519

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

selous wrote: »
    Driving down the N7 yesterday was a Black Mk1 VW Golf gti, reg number 846 YZL turned into Naas at the big ball,

Still has a bit of character.

That car is owned by a good friend of mine. Was the first time he took it out in months. He is the 2nd owner from new and the car is in completely mint original and unrestored condition. I have a pic of it somewhere from the VW stand at the Classic Car show in the RDS a couple of years back... I'll dig it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

On the Malahide road today. Elderly dude driving, and a whippet on the front seat!

PhotoEditor-1456490082527_zpsfq7dfm3v.jpg

Havent seen one of these in years chap down the street from me bought it the other day.

2labiit.jpg

v30xa9.jpg

I never really liked this Shape 323f I use to love the 94/95 model that came in 3 door version they were pretty rare though from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

jayo26 wrote: »
    Havent seen one of these in years chap down the street from me bought it the other day.

[...]

I never really liked this Shape 323f I use to love the 94/95 model that came in 3 door version they were pretty rare though from what I remember.

lCR09.jpg

joujoujou wrote: »
    lCR09.jpg

Click on the bloody pictures save your neck ya little pussy haha :):)

Miscreant wrote: »
    That car is owned by a good friend of mine. Was the first time he took it out in months. He is the 2nd owner from new and the car is in completely mint original and unrestored condition. I have a pic of it somewhere from the VW stand at the Classic Car show in the RDS a couple of years back... I'll dig it out.

Ha, ya can go nowhere.

NCT check says it's been scrapped, (just checked to see if I got the reg number right) or is that because it's classic now?

Don't know what this is......is it an old Wicklow reg or a foreign one??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

NI reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

selous wrote: »
    Don't know what this is......is it an old Wicklow reg or a foreign one??:confused:

It a NI reg for special build vehicles that never had a chassis number originally or are so radically altered from the original vehicle they require a single vehicle inspection to get on the road. People usually get the Q plate and then buy a personalised number to use for the road.

• Advertisement

Saw this nice 190 in Arva, Co.Cavan today.

Advertisement