Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

golfpaul wrote: »
    Hi Cormie,

The ebay one you have linked is better speced than the amazon one as it comes with a built in 8GB memory same one on amazon £73.99 and also comes with the GPS mount holder £16.99
    So £90.98 on amazon for same spec, a saving of £18.02

Oh, thanks for that, I thought the one gman bought had the GPS too but I guess not. I was after the GPS myself. Actually a little annoying too that they seem to be MicroSD as the ones I have already are regular SD so that means more money. Maybe at that stage I'd be getting to the same price of the DOD then and it does appear slightly better video quality even though the specs may appear the same :confused:
    Nino Brown wrote: »
    The DOD GSE 550, not the one in your link.

The lukas came with a power supply you wire into the fuse box, so it runs even when the car is parked in motion detect mode, it auto switches from drive to park mode. And if the battery ever drops to 12.4V it shuts off completely so it never runs down the battery. The DOD is powered from the cigarette lighter, I didn't like running the wire from the lighter, I wanted to wire it into the fuse box.
    Also I'm not a huge fan of suction cups, the lukas comes with a clip you stick to the windscreen similar to a toll tag, and the camera can be removed from the clip.

Thanks for that, that's good about the 12.4V protection. Any chance of a link to where you got the lukas from and do you know if you got it at a decent price and is there a chance to get stung by customs etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for that, that's good about the 12.4V protection. Any chance of a link to where you got the lukas from and do you know if you got it at a decent price and is there a chance to get stung by customs etc?

I got it from ebay, the price is about as good as you'll get. I was going to buy one in the US for $199, but decided not to because I didn't have room in my suitcase. I thought I'd pay a lot more here, but got it for E175 from ebay, so that's about as cheap as it gets. Unfortunately I did get stung by customs, and I suspect you would too, nothing gets past them anymore.:mad:

That's pricey enough, I've never heard of it, is it in line with the top models like the blackvue and itronics do you know or was it just some randomly well reviewed cam? Any chance of a link to a genuine seller as I wouldn't know where to look to know it's the right one I'd be looking at :o

That's pricey enough, I've never heard of it, is it in line with the top models like the blackvue and itronics do you know or was it just some randomly well reviewed cam? Any chance of a link to a genuine seller as I wouldn't know where to look to know it's the right one I'd be looking at :o

This where I bought mine.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-LUKAS-LK-7900-ACE-Full-HD-Dash-Cam-DVR-Car-Black-Box-8GB-GPS-CPL-Filter-/111202527447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e42fe8d7

I did a good bit of research, and it's is the one I liked most, it has got good reviews, but I also liked the design and features. This my third dashcam, so I have a bit of experience with them, and I have no regrets with this one.

thanks a lot for that. Always good to hear someone else doing good research into something, I'm the same myself, did a lot on the iTronics ITB100HD, I think it was the best at the time.

The Lukas does indeed sound pretty good, video quality wise it's not much different so I don't think I'd be up for spending so much extra on it compared to the 0801 for example, especially buying outside the EU via ebay. One of my iTronics is a bit wonky and I don't think I've any hope of getting anything back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

My 0801 from Amazon has the gps mount. The cam itself doesn't have gps.

Thanks gman, so when you hook it up to your pc you can see the GPS trail etc? The link I'm following for the £59 version says N/A beside GPS logger?..

gman2k wrote: »
    My 0801 from Amazon has the gps mount. The cam itself doesn't have gps.

Does the 0801 have g-force sensors? I would rather pay a bit extra for that feature for event recording, and preservation of the data in major accidents.

Does the 0801 have g-force sensors? I would rather pay a bit extra for that feature for event recording, and preservation of the data in major accidents.

I hope so :eek: This is an essential for a blackbox camera I think, even my oul DRS110 had it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Really. Would insurance companies even consider that data from a relatively cheap and uncelebrated dash cam?

The only thing that cant be denied is video. But G force, GPS and speed from these devices?? I dont know. If someone was trying to nail me with such data in court, I would be highly objective to its use as proof of anything..

• Advertisement

I hope so :eek: This is an essential for a blackbox camera I think, even my oul DRS110 had it..

Ah I see it now, the first review I read didn't mention any g-gensor

brokenarms wrote: »
    Really. Would insurance companies even consider that data from a relatively cheap and uncelebrated dash cam?

The only thing that cant be denied is video. But G force, GPS and speed from these devices?? I dont know. If someone was trying to nail me with such data in court, I would be highly objective to its use as proof of anything..

The G force sensor detects the impact, and saves the data from before and after the accident. So if you can't get to the camera, or if you just forget about it from shock, the memory card won't be overwritten on the section with the accident on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

brokenarms wrote: »

it'd be admissable in court alright and would add good weight on someones side alright.

If the amazon one for £59 definitely has G-Sensor and GPS tracking on the playback software then I think it's a pretty good deal.

gman, if yours definitely does, could you please provide the link you bought it from as the amazon one just says NA and doesn't mention the GPS mount at all and it appears to be sold separate.

If the amazon one for £59 definitely has G-Sensor and GPS tracking on the playback software then I think it's a pretty good deal.

gman, if yours definitely does, could you please provide the link you bought it from as the amazon one just says NA and doesn't mention the GPS mount at all and it appears to be sold separate.

I provided an Amazon link in my post the other week, I'm on mobile so you'll have to get it yourself.
    BTW, Techmoan says to disable the G sensor, as they are too sensitive.

I've been flicking through the thread here (although i wont lie, i haven't read it all) and people seem to be discussing the cams themselves a bit, which is good, but Im not seeing many people talking about installing them that much (maybe I just read the wrong pages?!).

Is there much work involved in installing one of these (so that there aren't wires hanging all over the place)?

I've been wanting a dash cam for a while now, but the installation is putting me off getting one. I've no idea about the electronics of cars at all. Most i've done so far is fit a head unit for a radio, and that was only yesterday, and im still waiting for that to catch fire (and I was also given loads of help from ColmMCM and youtube on how to fit it).

I'd imagine installation is the same, regardless of which camera you opt for?

I provided an Amazon link in my post the other week, I'm on mobile so you'll have to get it yourself.
    BTW, Techmoan says to disable the G sensor, as they are too sensitive.

Yeah, yours is the post I first got the amazon link from above, I just double checked back to it again and it's the same one and says N/A for the GPS logger so it looks like it doesn't have the GPS mount :(

This is the post:
    I received this last week
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00F5WP990/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
    Ive also ordered a 12v to 5v step down with dual usb outlet, which I'll wire into the ignition feed.
    Build quality is great, but I'll reserve judgment until I'm on the road!
    I got this cam based on Techmoan reviews

That's a mobile link so I just took the Amazon product ID (B00F5WP990) googled that and it's the same as I've linked to already which says it's without the GPS :confused:

Also, what's the 12v to 5v step down thingy you got and what purpose has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Just a comment on hard wiring as i recently did it with my smartcam.

I fed the wire across the top of the windscreen under the headiner then down the pillar, the airbag cover comes off easy on my car. Theres a fusebox on the drivers side on my yoke so i wired it straight into the fuse for the cigarette lighter(wire around one end of the fuse and pushed it back in). I have a multi meter and checked which fuse gives out 12V only when the ignition was on because i'm not bothered about having it on with the car off.

Most cams work on 5V and the lighter style adapter charger on mine(and most i presume) is a 12V to 5V converter in itself so i wired the 12V from the fuse board straight into the top of the adapter, it screws open to a internal fuse. I wired a ground to a bit of metal frame.

This is it:

28r1j4z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I received this last week
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00F5WP990/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
    Ive also ordered a 12v to 5v step down with dual usb outlet, which I'll wire into the ignition feed.
    Build quality is great, but I'll reserve judgment until I'm on the road!
    I got this cam based on Techmoan reviews

This is the one I wanted to order. But £20 for delivery seems steep. Is that what you paid?

Mousewar wrote: »
    This is the one I wanted to order. But £20 for delivery seems steep. Is that what you paid?

It's free shipping, you might be looking at the "you save" amount?

I'd probably order this too, I'm just not sure if it has the GPS mount, according the gman, it does, but it says in the link N/A and the GPS mount is sold on another one for a higher price, or separate itself too and the higher price brings it closer to the DOD, in which case I might just go for the DOD..

• Advertisement

It's free shipping, you might be looking at the "you save" amount?

Free shipping to Ireland?
    Shipping and postage definitely says £20

Since posting that, I've discovered ParcelMotel.
    Ordered!

Sorry, my mistake, I read it as "Free Super Saver" shipping which with Amazon is always free on orders over £25 to Ireland, but as this isn't sold by Amazon, it is indeed £20, or €3.50 with parcel motel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

I have been looking at a camera made by a crowd called tiotech, they have a couple of models, the are Dod ls300, and the 330, also they have a newer model called the ls400 and 430, they seem to have a very good image and night time is very good also, the newer model has built in gps, anyone here have one, would be interested to hear how it is working out. :)

This is what I bought - so I can 'hard wire' in a usb power cable - to avoid clogging up the dash cigarette power point.
    I hope to connect this into the radio ignition feed circuit, which is only live when the ignition is on!
    Of course, I have to replace the supplied usb power cord with a USB - usb micro cable of sufficient length, and position it under the trim. All in an afternoons work if the weather ever improves!

gman reading the reviews on the one on amazon you bought, somebody else mentions the GPS mount too. This is a little confusing if you and them are saying it has GPS logging but the information page doesn't and you can get the GPS version from the same seller on another link for a higher price, or buy it separate :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I've been flicking through the thread here (although i wont lie, i haven't read it all) and people seem to be discussing the cams themselves a bit, which is good, but Im not seeing many people talking about installing them that much (maybe I just read the wrong pages?!).

Is there much work involved in installing one of these (so that there aren't wires hanging all over the place)?

I've been wanting a dash cam for a while now, but the installation is putting me off getting one. I've no idea about the electronics of cars at all. Most i've done so far is fit a head unit for a radio, and that was only yesterday, and im still waiting for that to catch fire (and I was also given loads of help from ColmMCM and youtube on how to fit it).

I'd imagine installation is the same, regardless of which camera you opt for?

I could have written that post. I also want a dash cam but have no confidence in wiring anything in a car and obviously don't want a mesh of wires either

gman reading the reviews on the one on amazon you bought, somebody else mentions the GPS mount too. This is a little confusing if you and them are saying it has GPS logging but the information page doesn't and you can get the GPS version from the same seller on another link for a higher price, or buy it separate :o

What can I say? Mine has the gps mount. I don't know if that was meant to be what was advertised or not!

Thanks gman, might be worth a gamble and go for it, especially since you can just buy the mount separate :)

Has anyone tried hook up two (front and rear facing for example) cameras?

Also, I see a lot of cameras advertising a "format card from camera unit itself" feature, where you don't need to hook the card up to a pc to format it, I never got this, why would you ever want to format it?

• Advertisement

I don't know the technical reasons, but virtually every device recommends formatting in device.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement