Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run Flat Tyres for BMW

• 08-01-2016 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

Almost time to change tyres on my X5. Just intend to replace the Good Years that are on the car with the same again as the road-holding and wear has been good with them.

I've never bought run flats before, anything to watch out for ?

For example, if I buy from a normal Tyre outlet rather than the BMW dealer (money wise I expect might make more sense) what about the valves and the pressure monitoring systems and all that stuff ? will it all still work even if the tyres are not fitted by a BMW garage ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I presume the X5 uses the same TPMS as the F10. The rim doesn't contain anything related to the TPMS and it uses a standard valve.

I buy my F10 tyres (Bridgestone) wherever I can get them cheapest. Currently this is online and I get them fitted and balanced at a local small independent garage who happen to have top class tyre fitting equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The tyre monitoring system will need to be reset after the tyres have been changed. If the system is not reset then a warning will appear on the dashboard because the system will detect the slightest change in tyre pressure. The tyre monitoring system can be reset via the idrive system.

Other than that there is nothing different about changing RFTs from the owner's perspective. You can buy them from wherever you buy them the cheapest. Just make sure the tyre fitter changing them is familiar with changing RFTs and doesn't damage your rims in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭freddieot

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I was just concerned there was something in the tyres themselves that linked with the cars systems. Sounds like that's not the case so I'll check out a couple of the fastfit places etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i assume you x5 had run flats as standard . if so its no big deal go to any tyre garage and ask for run flats . but make sure you price around there is a massive difference in price . as for resetting you can do it yourself in the i-drive menu .

if your car did not come with run flats as standard you cannot put them on your car

i generally find if i shop around i find a local guy cheaper than online by the time you pay extra for fitting balancing etc . but the odd time i have bought online where your looking for bigger tyres it can be better . i had a 6 series with 275/35/19 and it used to be cheaper to get them online . i used to use

www.camskill.co.uk
    www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/
    www.eiretyres.com/
    www.oponeo.ie/

used them all never had any problems . found camskill especially fast to deliver . but take into account fitting and balancing prices . approx €15 per tyre when i did it .

you can also fit standard tyres instead of run flats if you want . but do it in pairs . dont have one side run flat and the other standard on the same axle ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭freddieot

Yes run flats from new, car is 151 but I'm starting to really build up the kms in the last couple of months.

I'll check around, I just thought the sensors for the pressure monitoring might be part of the tyre \ valve but if any reputable tyre place like kwikfit can supply and fit without any problem then I will definitely look for a best deal rather than just using the main dealer.

• Advertisement

well wear, im jealous the new model X5 is a stunner :cool: . kwikfit in my experience can be quite expensive so do shop around ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

freddieot wrote: »
    Yes run flats from new, car is 151 but I'm starting to really build up the kms in the last couple of months.

I'll check around, I just thought the sensors for the pressure monitoring might be part of the tyre \ valve but if any reputable tyre place like kwikfit can supply and fit without any problem then I will definitely look for a best deal rather than just using the main dealer.
    The tyre pressures monitor is part of the valve on your car, be careful where you get the tyre's changed as I have seen tyre's centre's damage them a few times and also the wheels have to go back in the same locations or the tyre warning lights will stay on

i can't comment about the new x5 and i havent above because i wasnt sure, but thats new if is true ive had numerous bmws over the years 3 series, 5 series and 6 series with those tyre pressure monitors and never had those issues

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭some1gr8

Best way to save money is search for exact tyre on google, there are many online companies (e.g. eiretyre or oponeo.ie) that sell them cheap, i bought 2 back tyre for my 07 x5 "Bridgestone Dueler Sport 285/45R19 111 V RUN ON FLAT XL *, FR" for 478 euros including delivery, i was quoted 700 from local tyre shop,

once delivered,u can pay any small shop 15 euro for each tyre (that includes replacing & recycling of old tyres)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

i can't comment about the new x5 and i havent above because i wasnt sure, but thats new if is true ive had numerous bmws over the years 3 series, 5 series and 6 series with those tyre pressure monitors and never had those issues

It's only in BMW's since 141 all the lci f10's have them, f15's all the new models. All the hyundai's have them now as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭irishshadowfax

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the info. I'm going changing from runflats to standards for my F10. Was going with bridgestones from eiretyres and get a local guy to fit them starting with the two back wheels. Was wondering if anyone can recommend a compact spare wheel for the F10?

Cheers
    IS

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the info. I'm going changing from runflats to standards for my F10. Was going with bridgestones from eiretyres and get a local guy to fit them starting with the two back wheels. Was wondering if anyone can recommend a compact spare wheel for the F10?

Cheers
    IS

I went from runflats to standards in both my X3 and 320d.

The spare tire consists of a can of Tyreweld and a compressor pump in the boot along with AA membership ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

i assume you x5 had run flats as standard . if so its no big deal go to any tyre garage and ask for run flats . but make sure you price around there is a massive difference in price . as for resetting you can do it yourself in the i-drive menu .

if your car did not come with run flats as standard you cannot put them on your car

i generally find if i shop around i find a local guy cheaper than online by the time you pay extra for fitting balancing etc . but the odd time i have bought online where your looking for bigger tyres it can be better . i had a 6 series with 275/35/19 and it used to be cheaper to get them online . i used to use

www.camskill.co.uk
    www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/
    www.eiretyres.com/
    www.oponeo.ie/

used them all never had any problems . found camskill especially fast to deliver . but take into account fitting and balancing prices . approx €15 per tyre when i did it .

you can also fit standard tyres instead of run flats if you want . but do it in pairs . dont have one side run flat and the other standard on the same axle ;)

Is the price difference for the same tyre down to the manufactured year? The same tyre made in 2013/2014 will cost that but less that one manufactured in 2015...and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I went from runflats to standards in both my X3 and 320d.

The spare tire consists of a can of Tyreweld and a compressor pump in the boot along with AA membership ;)

+1 I changed from run flats on my f10 recently and just bought holts tyre weld and compressor.

Bought Michelin pilot sport 3s which are meant to be good. About €200 each though, much much cheaper than the outrageous prices suggested by main BMW dealer.

Bought on camskill and fitted locally in tyreland for €15 a corner.

No issue with tyre pressure system.

Advertisement