Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol prices change during the day?

• 02-02-2016 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I was on my way out and topped up the car with petrol today. This was €1.22 a litre at the time. On my way home roughly 2 hours later I noticed that the garage I had been in and the one on the opposite side of the road had gone up in price by 2 cent. I was always under the illusion that the price changed overnight and each day had its own set price.
    Is this true that the can change at any time of the day or did I shine the whole thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They can change the price 20 times a day if they choose to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

It basically changes whenever the boss tells them to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it possible for them to change the price during the refuel process or would all pumps need to be off at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Is it possible for them to change the price during the refuel process or would all pumps need to be off at the time?

Can all be changed at a minutes notice! You can do it whenever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

They change it on the system. If a pump is in use then the price displayed when you start to use it is the price you pay. Each pump will reset back to 0.0 liters dispensed / sold at start of each use. When it does this, it also checks and displays the current selling price per unit as well as tracking how much is dispensed. The unit price per litre cannot change while in use. It must wait until the pump handle is replaced and lifted again, wait for til operator to activate it again and it will check current price again as well as reset counters to 0.0 again.

So if I was at pump 1 and halfway filling at say 1.20 a litre, the owner changed price on board up by 2 cent. After this you come in and start filling at pump 2 while I am still there, your pump will display 1.22 per litre but mine would still display 1.20 until the pump gets reset.

However in most cases, the price is changed in the morning before opening or after a delivery if deemed necessary. But it can be changed throughout the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

yep usually changes after a delivery! depends what price the retailer buys it in at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Unspokenhero

I was always under the impression that the more people who short change the shop ie. Put in €20.03 worth or petrol / diesel and only pay with €20 they then raise the price to counter act that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I wonder how calibrated pumps are in general. Would you really be getting what it says on the tin?

Jesus. wrote: »
    I wonder how calibrated pumps are in general. Would you really be getting what it says on the tin?

I *HATE* electronic pumps. I think they are defo fixed. i work in a station where we have the digits that roll (not even sure what they are called!), and i believe them to be true. however, the electronic pumps seem to jump in big numbers..even if you barely squeeze the handle :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

gercoral wrote: »
    I *HATE* electronic pumps. I think they are defo fixed. i work in a station where we have the digits that roll (not even sure what they are called!), and i believe them to be true. however, the electronic pumps seem to jump in big numbers..even if you barely squeeze the handle :(

Maybe because the new ones have more efficient pumps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I was always under the impression that the more people who short change the shop ie. Put in €20.03 worth or petrol / diesel and only pay with €20 they then raise the price to counter act that

No.

This is at the end of the list of reasons for price changes at the pumps.

If it even makes it to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

With the rounding brought in you can safely bring it up to 20.02 and it will be rounded down, 20.03 will get rounded up

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

So if they are overcharged by €0.02 200 times do they increase the price to recoup the €4 then when they have reduce it back down?

That makes no sense.

It's a balancing act, changing the price during a delivery would only be correct if the tanks were bone dry before the delivery. There would always be a couple of thousand litres in the tank.

It's just easier to change when the place is closed(night / morning), otherwise forecourt (not just pumps) need to be empty as the someone might drive in based on the signs advertised on the road and get annoyed if they are charged more and then you lose a customer, obviously 24hr stations don't have this option so assume they pick a quiet time at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was on my way out and topped up the car with petrol today. This was €1.22 a litre at the time. On my way home roughly 2 hours later I noticed that the garage I had been in and the one on the opposite side of the road had gone up in price by 2 cent. I was always under the illusion that the price changed overnight and each day had its own set price.
    Is this true that the can change at any time of the day or did I shine the whole thing?

what garages are increasing prices at the pumps? Isnt the trend downwards everywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

what garages are increasing prices at the pumps? Isnt the trend downwards everywhere?
    Overall trend is currently downwards but individual stations can fluctuate up and down during the day as demand fluctuates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

If the shop inside doesn't do very well in the morning say, because people are in a rush to get to work, they may lower the price in order to get more customers into the shop, who may then purchase others things like coffee while they're there. A small hit on fuel might give big returns for the shop overall.

Conversely, if people stop there on the way home in the evening out of habit, and because they have more time, raising the price might be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

They're all calibrated by the NSAI. If in doubt check the pump there should be a calibration sticker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A small hit on fuel might give big returns for the shop overall.

A friend used managed a number of branded garages. From him, and this was a few years ago, he said the margin on fuel was nothing and the majority of the garages take was on deli or convenience items. Furthermore, the possibility of a pump being fiddled with was nigh impossible, the regulation was far too tight and the fines too large. Then again, look at the recent news regarding the garage on the quays in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The price of a barrel of oil has little affect on our prices, the price is increasing as expensive wells are being shutdown like the Saudi's wanted. The Euro Dollar rate has an impact, which is getting worse, and the recent snow storm across the East coast of the US would affect the price from refineries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

ironclaw wrote: »
    A friend used managed a number of branded garages. From him, and this was a few years ago, he said the margin on fuel was nothing and the majority of the garages take was on deli or convenience items. Furthermore, the possibility of a pump being fiddled with was nigh impossible, the regulation was far too tight and the fines too large. Then again, look at the recent news regarding the garage on the quays in Dublin.

I think I read on the AA website recently that they estimated the garage would make 4c per litre. Even if I filled the 50L tank, they're still making more money ob the chicken fillet roll and bottle of coke I might buy when I'm in there.

I'd trust a digital pump over a mechanical one any day, far harder to mess with I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

This happened me, went in and started to fill up car. Price changed as I was filling my tank and I ended up having to fork out for the difference.

Never used that station again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Kamili wrote: »
    This happened me, went in and started to fill up car. Price changed as I was filling my tank and I ended up having to fork out for the difference.

Sorry..im calling porkies there....that couldnt be done.. Where was that and why would you pay if tehy changed the terms after you had filled your tank?

the price on the pumps can't be changed while you are filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Bullshít

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's a balancing act, changing the price during a delivery would only be correct if the tanks were bone dry before the delivery. There would always be a couple of thousand litres in the tank.

The operator can change the price for any reason and at any time he chooses, it does not have to coincide with a delivery. It's a free market.
    It's just easier to change when the place is closed(night / morning), otherwise forecourt (not just pumps) need to be empty as the someone might drive in based on the signs advertised on the road and get annoyed if they are charged more and then you lose a customer, obviously 24hr stations don't have this option so assume they pick a quiet time at night

Wrong again, read yawns post (#6) above.

coylemj wrote: »
    The operator can change the price for any reason and at any time he chooses, it does not have to coincide with a delivery. It's a free market.

Where did I say that they could not. If you read my post in conjunction with the quote I was replying to (that is what quotes are for) you would see I was replying to a poster who I take it was inferring that the petrol station operator would want to match their sale price to the purchase price of each litre(plus their margin) by changing the price during the delivery. I stated that this would not achieve the operators objectives as there would be existing stock in the tank and purely for convenience and customer experience purposes it is easier to change the price when the station is empty.
    coylemj wrote: »
    Wrong again, read yawns post (#6) above.

Another case of not reading a post and simply clicking reply (for post count?) :rolleyes: I am going to try and understand why you say "wrong again", here are the points I made in the post:
    - "It's just easier to change when the place is closed(night / morning)"
    - "Someone might drive in based on the signs advertised on the road and get annoyed if they are charged more - ie they see fuel advertised at 99c, drive in and before they get to the pump the price has increased, I can imagine that this would be annoying especially if you do not notice it until after filling up

So again nowhere did I state anything was either possible or not possible. My point is all about customer experience. For petrol stations its all about volume, you need repeat customers, piss customers off and you risk losing them for life.

BTW, nice attitude you have, maybe slow down and read posts rather than just replying and be a little bit courteous in your relies, it might improve your reputation ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

NSAI test stations about once a year and give certificates. Usually you will see a sticker on the side of the pump. Digital pumps are extremely accurate. In their report last year a small number of garages were out by 0.5% or more - but more were in favour of the motorist than the garage.
    9935452 wrote: »
    With the rounding brought in you can safely bring it up to 20.02 and it will be rounded down, 20.03 will get rounded up
    Over 70% of fuel transactions are by card. Makes no difference.
    Downtrend on oil prices stopped 2 weeks ago when prices rose from $28 to $32 in 24 hours. Price is now $35. Price changes take 10-14day to hit pumps. Expect about 5c - 6c rise from last week's lows over the next week. Funny, very little in the press about the 25% increase in oil prices.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    The price of a barrel of oil has little affect on our prices, the price is increasing as expensive wells are being shutdown like the Saudi's wanted. The Euro Dollar rate has an impact, which is getting worse, and the recent snow storm across the East coast of the US would affect the price from refineries.
    Price of oil have a direct effect on prices. But as oil is 20c a litre, it is just this 20c (and the vat on it that changes) - it was under 16c 2 weeks ago. Refining costs, logistics, Duty, carbon tax, distribution, retail and vat on all that make up the balance. Distribution/retail is av. 10c.

Absolute bull - it cannot change mid fill. It may have changed the second between looking at the pump and lifting the nozzle, but just not possible after nozzle is lifted.

Advertisement