Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logbook and NCT

• 03-02-2016 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

any more recent insights into this? has anything changed? bought a new used car and the want to book the nct for the next few days and the logbook with my name may not have arrived by then, have a picture of it filled out tho! and can bring ID, will that be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

any more recent insights into this? has anything changed? bought a new used car and the want to book the nct for the next few days and the logbook with my name may not have arrived by then, have a picture of it filled out tho! and can bring ID, will that be enough?

No. You need the logbook now. I was asked for it today. I mentioned "Is it a must" and the answer was yes. How els are they goin to get the VIN No on the NCT cert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from old thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

How els are they goin to get the VIN No on the NCT cert?

From the car?

My sister brought my Yaris yesterday with no logbook, they never even asked for it, they tested it and gave her the paperwork.

I reckon it's the luck of the draw if they ask or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Last few NCT's ive been at when asked " have you your logbook" i said yeah its in the glovebox and they never asked to see it :) like said above luck of the draw on who you get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Got nct done on 2 cars last month and never asked for log book only driving licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

No. You need the logbook now. I was asked for it today. I mentioned "Is it a must" and the answer was yes. How els are they goin to get the VIN No on the NCT cert?

They can get the Vin on the car. It might be a must for the nct but they don't always ask for it. If they ask for it and you don't have it they will still test the car and if it passes they won't print the cert until you produce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

You do not need the log book really, only time it may come into play is if the stamped chassis number on the car does not correspond to the information on their system so in that case they can refer to the log book to see where the error lies. Otherwise you cannot fail for not having the log book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Did the NCT 2 days ago, never asked for the log book.

You need the logbook, it's in the prep text on NCT site.
    Sometimes they don't ask.

If you don't bring it and they ask, they will still test car but not give you disc until you return with logbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

biko wrote: »
    You need the logbook, it's in the prep text on NCT site.
    Sometimes they don't ask.

If you don't bring it and they ask, they will still test car but not give you disc until you return with logbook.

I've never had to produce the log book with my car abd always got the cert without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 freewilli88

just an update on this, i rang NCT just there! you dont need the logbook and if they did ask and insist then you have 30 days to bring it down but they wont refuse you an nct test as long as you have you I.D.

https://www.ncts.ie/1112
    Don't forget to bring your vehicle registration book, registration certificate or licensing certificate and your test fee!

But ok, maybe they've decided to be less strict about it now.

Advertisement