Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coat of Arms - Lynagh

• 07-07-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I know it's a long shot. I'm not from Ireland, but I'm trying to track down (if there is one) my family's coat of arms.

All I've really found so far is that 'Lynagh' is also spelt 'Leynagh' and comes from Gaelic Laighneach, "the Leinsterman".

It's getting incredibly hard to trace my family history. All I really know is that we moved from County Sligo, Ireland to Perth, Scotland to Perth (again), Australia. I can't find much more than that.

If anyone knows anything about the coat of arms or the name. Or just has any tips, it'd be great if you could share them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

from the FAQ's of the Chief Herald of Ireland :

"There is no such thing in Ireland as a ‘family coat of arms’. Arms pertain to the persons to whom they have been granted by the Office of the Chief Herald of Ireland and to the descendants of such grantees, according to the Laws of Arms. A grant of arms made to an individual extends to his or her descendants of the name, not to a family as such."

http://www.nli.ie/en/faq/heraldry-faq.aspx#faq6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Heres a bit of history about the surname, from Surnamedb.com

Recorded in the spellings of Lynagh and Leynagh, this is an ancient Irish surname. It is unusual in several respects. Firstly it is locational or regional, which is rare with Irish names most of whom are derived from nicknames or patronymics. In this case the development is from the pre 10th century 'Laighneach' which means 'The Leinsterman', and as most recordings are now found in the province of Connacht, it would seem that at sometime in the far distant past, the nameholders did move from Leinster. Secondly a claim has been made that the nameholders are a branch of the famous Bermingham clan, since both were to be found in County Offally, and at various times nameholders from both septs were found to be acting in unison in 'rebellious activity'. Thirdly the name is also confused with Lynam or O' Lynam, which can be of Norman English or Irish origins. Quite why Lynagh and Lynam should be confused is unclear, but certainly in County Offally land owners are shown in 15th century deeds in the joint spellings. What is certain is that the village of Gorteenlynagh in County Mayo is named after the Lynagh family, and that in the spelling of Leynagh, the nameholders were the principal family in the barony of Carbery, County Kildare in the year 1550. The first known name holder is probably John Leynagh, the bishop of Lismore from 1323 to 1354, whilst a later example is that of Teag O' Lynagh, given as being a tenant of the Duke of York in the Statute Rolls of King Edward 1V of England, in (circa) 1455.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/lynagh#ixzz0t5C0iIGA

Advertisement