Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army in Cork City in 1920

Options
  • 17-06-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a record of the soldiers and staff in cork in 1920, or how to go about finding such records?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Remember that Cork was under martial law in 1920, so there would have been a considerable number of military posts/barracks throughout the county.
    You'd need to know the regiment of your ancestor really to have any hope (in my non-professional opinion!). Even a photograph would be helpful if there was a capbadge visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

klong wrote: »
    Remember that Cork was under martial law in 1920, so there would have been a considerable number of military posts/barracks throughout the county.
    You'd need to know the regiment of your ancestor really to have any hope (in my non-professional opinion!). Even a photograph would be helpful if there was a capbadge visible.

Only have 1 photo in uniform, but not clear enough to get any detail. My Grandfather was born there in 1920, as my Great-Grandfather was stationed there. Moved to Taunton soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Well maybe find out what barracks there were in Taunton around that time and work backwards?
    Regimental journals would be an interesting source.
    Was your great-grandfather an officer or a private/NCO? If an officer you may be able to get some details from the London Gazette; you can also gte some details if your relative was awarded a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

klong wrote: »
    Well maybe find out what barracks there were in Taunton around that time and work backwards?
    Regimental journals would be an interesting source.
    Was your great-grandfather an officer or a private/NCO? If an officer you may be able to get some details from the London Gazette; you can also gte some details if your relative was awarded a medal.

Will be trying to get some more information from my grandfather this weekend. Last weekend was the first time I even found out about those details. It seems a delicate topic. They moved back to Ireland when he was a young child.

Advertisement