Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

C220 CDI timing chain

Options
  • 16-07-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this belongs here or in general motors.

My 08 C220 has just over 220k on the clock and I'm wondering about the timing chain. Does it need to be replaced at a certain interval?

I'm reading conflicting information on various MB forums, some saying yes but most saying no unless there's an issue like very loud on cold start, rattles from stretching, some saying you'll get engine faults, etc.

What are the thoughts here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

DIY >> main forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

OM646 or 651?

If you have the earlier OM646 engine they have a very strong duplex timing chain easily replaceble at the front of the engine. The newer OM651 have a simplex chain at the back of the engine similarly to troublesome BMW N47 setup although the Mercedes seem to last better.

If you have the OM646 and there are no noises, drive on and you're good for another 100k+ km. The chain on them will last for a very long time but the tensioners sometime fail and should be looked at your earlier convenience if there are any noises at startup. The OM651 is also good most likely but if your ever hear any noises at startup don't drive the car but get it towed to the garage and expect a hefty bill for the work. The engine needs to come out for the timing chain replacement as access is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Thanks, I've no idea which I have, I suppose the best way of checking is by looking?

This is it wrote: »
    Thanks, I've no idea which I have, I suppose the best way of checking is by looking?

The OM651 is 2143 cc and the earlier engine is 2148 cc. The chassis plate should list the engine type also.

• Advertisement

I just used an insurance quote to check, I'm not sure how reliable that is, it'll be this evening before I can check for sure but it shows 2148 on the quote when I enter the reg

This is it wrote: »
    I just used an insurance quote to check, I'm not sure how reliable that is, it'll be this evening before I can check for sure but it shows 2148 on the quote when I enter the reg

Best to check the VIN plate to be sure. But it's good news if you have OM646 as it's the more robust engine especially compared to early 651.

I have the VIN, anywhere online to check it for free or what's the best way?

Thanks again

Edit, sorry I missed VIN "plate", I'll check that later. Cheers :)

Looks like it's 646, shows on two spots on the engine :)

Advertisement