Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine malfunction light on Focus

• 07-01-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi people,

I have a 2009 Ford Focus 1.6 Tdci. It's been a great car, touch wood! Back in September, i had to leave it parked up at my parents house for 3 months as I went abroad to do a course. My father started the car from time to time but basically it was outside and not moved during that time.

When I came back just before Christmas, and when I turn on the car, I am getting an 'Engine malfunction' warning on the dashboard along with a warning tone. The thing is the car is driving perfect. I have done over a thousand miles since I came back with no problems. The warning does not come on every time I turn the car on, but most of the time.

I saw something on Youtube about pressing the brake and accelerator together to reset the computer which i did yesterday and funnily enough the warning did not come on yesterday. However today it was back on again. I took it to an independent mechanic who plugged a machine into it but he said no warning or explanation appeared on his machine and in his opinion, the car is fine to drive, he can see no problems at all. He reset the computer but the warning came on again when I drove off.

He reckoned it could just be with the damp weather before Christmas and the fact the car was parked up, so he thinks it may just be a glitch in the system. It is due a service in another few hundred miles. Does anybody else have any hints or opinions what this might be? Would it be worth a visit to a Ford garage (maybe they have better equipment than my independent guy had) or I just have to live with it as a computer error?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

if the warning light comes on there is a fault and its stored in computer turning off the warning light and it comes back is just confirming something is wrong. go to a reputable garage or dealer and ask them to read the fault codes. the objective should be track down the fault rather than just trick car into not displaying the warning message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

do you do short trips in the car ?

could be a major build of crap in the EGR/DPF if the car was idle not being moved and you mostly do short trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Boardwatcher

When the independent mechanic plugged his machine into the electrics under the steering wheel he was not getting a code read out and said all other readings he got looked normal.

I may take it to a Ford garage to their diagnostics, it costs 35 euro.

The car is almost 6 years old (in March) and has 61,000 miles on the clock. The reason for the low mileage is that for 4 years of owning it, I only drove it at the weekends as I had a van for work. I don't drive the van anymore so in the last 9 months, the mileage has gone up a lot on it. But as i say, for those 3 months while i was away, the car was off the road and not driven at all. I actually had to clean some mould off the seats when i came back.

So computer glitch or something actually wrong...guess a visit to a Ford dealer is the only way to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

When the independent mechanic plugged his machine into the electrics under the steering wheel he was not getting a code read out and said all other readings he got looked normal.

I may take it to a Ford garage to their diagnostics, it costs 35 euro.

The car is almost 6 years old (in March) and has 61,000 miles on the clock. The reason for the low mileage is that for 4 years of owning it, I only drove it at the weekends as I had a van for work. I don't drive the van anymore so in the last 9 months, the mileage has gone up a lot on it. But as i say, for those 3 months while i was away, the car was off the road and not driven at all. I actually had to clean some mould off the seats when i came back.

So computer glitch or something actually wrong...guess a visit to a Ford dealer is the only way to find out.

a few hours on the motorway in 4th gear and some diptane would probably do it some good !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

35 euro at Ford to have yhr codes read? That is the bargain of the century! Do it!
    I can't believe the attitude to fault codes. They will show you what us wrong with the car, ignoring them would be like putting a sticker over tgr engine warning light.
    Also, with my Ford the code only displays as it happens. If it comes back go straight to Ford and don't turn the engine off and let them read it. The codes disappear as soon as the ignition is off. That was my experience. That way I found a split hose that I wouldn't have otherwise. Fault codes are your friend.

• Advertisement

ok yes i will take it to Ford then and have them read the code.

I have been to Dublin and back from Cork since this light has been on and it didn't make any difference.

Hopefully it's nothing serious as I can't afford a major problem :)

ok yes i will take it to Ford then and have them read the code.

I have been to Dublin and back from Cork since this light has been on and it didn't make any difference.

Hopefully it's nothing serious as I can't afford a major problem :)

With a bit of luck just a frayed wire, split hose or dodgy sensor. Good luck and keep us posted.

I took the car to another independent mechanic today and he got a code readout from his hand held thing.

It appears that some kind of fluid that is pumped into the fuel when you refill has run out or is at low levels and needs topping up. This is related to the DPF and apparently is not found in the Irish Focus (mine was originally an English import).

I'm getting the car serviced next week anyway so he will do it all then, he didn't mention how much it might cost...guess i will find out soon enough. He said the car is fine to drive in the meantime.

DPF fluid, potentially a DIY job:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=96236

some more info on boards
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68165180

I'm certain there are a million threads on how to DIY that job, tricky bit is telling the ECU it has been refilled, the counter needs to be reset.

Thanks for the reply. I am unfortunately not a DIY person when it comes to cars (aside from changing a wheel or lightbulb!).

I'm a bit concerned at the potential cost thought looking at that thread you linked. 200 euro plus, ouch. Like I said, the mechanic did not mention cost yesterday. Just told me to book it in for it's usual 10,000 mile service.

Looks like this will be a costly one this time when I factor in everything. To be fair to the car though, all but one of it's previous services were around the 100 euro mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Cost me 80 euro in the Ford Harmonstown for a computer read. 100e for a service is a bloody bargain. I'd say you're doing alright if this is all that's happened to the car to date. I've had a few problems with my 08 1.8 TDCI :(

failed ABS control unit ~350 quid
    thermostat housing replacement ~ 220
    Rear shocks ~200
    burst air intake pipe ~140

I should be due another problem any week now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

jon1981 wrote: »
    Cost me 80 euro in the Ford Harmonstown for a computer read. 100e for a service is a bloody bargain. I'd say you're doing alright if this is all that's happened to the car to date. I've had a few problems with my 08 1.8 TDCI :(

failed ABS control unit ~350 quid
    thermostat housing replacement ~ 220
    Rear shocks ~200
    burst air intake pipe ~140

I should be due another problem any week now

Leaking water pump
    Wet belt failure
    Dual mass flywheel
    Starter motor
    Alternator

Just a few of the common issues you have yet to encounter ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Just a few services and now a €200 for another service with a little more involvement. Seems you have gotten away as cheap as you possibly can in those 4 years. I know that kind of expense never comes at the right time, there never is a right time, but cars do need a bit of attention, fact. So far you seem to be getting away fairly lightly. You're lucky really.

Leaking water pump
    Wet belt failure
    Dual mass flywheel
    Starter motor
    Alternator

Just a few of the common issues you have yet to encounter ;)

Well, its not the worst of cars. Clutch and DMF lasted 250k km, car has done 315k km and so far so good. It have put springs and shocks in there, but those along with clutch are consumables.
    One thing about the wet belt: the real life service interval of those is 100k km, no matter what Ford says.

Well I took it to the garage on Monday.

The fluid it needed cost 133 alone. That plus the rest of the service (oil, filter and air filter) plus labour at 90e came to 300 altogether. He reset the computer also so I am no longer getting the error message.

Now to get the NCT done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GHiggins

Hi- even early 2009 models, have the euro 5 emission system & a small tank 2.0L capacity back at the drivers side of the main fuel tank- for particulates filter fluid.
    when the engine malfunction message appears, along with a warning bleep- usually means that the particulates filter fluid is electronically reading either a low level / empty.
    on repeated such fault messages, without taking action- the engine MIL will illuminate & engine power will drop to limp home mode- at this stage, even if the particulates tank is filled- the ECM refuses to recognise unless adaptation is effected by professional standard - diagnostic devices, such as the launch MOT Pro.
    I was personally in this situation, without any diagnostics- however the air filter was removed- housing carefully vacumed out & with assist holding the engine revs at 2700 rpm I.0L of JLM
    EGR & associated areas fluid was carefully sprayed directly via the airflow meter- failure to administer the fluid properly could result in engine hydraulic lock & wrecked engine. shortly after, all difficulties resolved at present- had to purchase a €20.00 euro EOBD 11 device to clear the MIL light.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks, but old thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement